X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

Originally posted by gilly1984 View Post
    Is it worth the time to fix that cpu? I have no idea about 939 cpus?
    The FX-57 is the fastest single-core CPU for the S939 platform, so they are kind of rare now. If it wasn't for the spotty fixed pins, I could have probably gotten a few good $$ on ebay. 2 months ago, one sold for around $60.

As far as being worth the time - it depends. My other computers are all Pentium 4, so to me it is. Overall, it is a very good CPU for older games (much much better than Pentium 4 and Pentium D at that era). However, the lack of HT makes it kind of useless for watching movies and browsing through pages with lots of Flash content - for this application, the long Netburst architecture of the P4 actually performs better.

Originally posted by TELVM
    That's superb craftmanship
    Actually, I was kind of lucky the 2 broken pins were at an end row. If they were somewhere in the middle of the chip, I don't think I could have fixed it.

Comment

Well I'm Brain Storming a real "Ghetto Mod" for my POS 86 Honda Accord. If I can get one of the later model VTEC engines and manual transmissions hanging from my main engine mounts I can work out the other details. For me the mechanical part is the easy part. The Devil will be in adding the wiring and CPU to run a VTEC fuel injected engine.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

get the ecm and harness from the donor while you are at it.
        only honda i have done was one of those microcars with the air cooled bike engine.
        it was shot so i stuffed a hayabusa in it.a lot of modding to get that in there.

Comment

Just so the rest of the world can understand just what you did to that little Honda I'm posting this link to another little car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJ84nho3_k

After watching it I think that they will understand everything. By the way I have only found one of those little air cooled honda cars and it was all DONE. Even its rust had rust!
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

yes it ran about like that.

Comment

Sell It To Me PLEASE!!!!
              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

too late.
                i sold it about 4 years ago.i know i have some pics here somewhere.
                and the files where i designed parts in solidworks and autocad.
                i know it was a rare toy and should have been restored but there were no engine parts to be found and the cases were shot.it had been run low on oil and spun bearings boogering the cases.

Comment

I'd like to see the details of the parts that you made too.
                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

btw it would have been the n600.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                      Just so the rest of the world can understand just what you did to that little Honda I'm posting this link to another little car.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJ84nho3_k
                      I saw that video ages ago. Still gives me a smile when I see it, though .

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEoMwHHtk0

Just how long will the clutch last?
                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...&postcount=421

IMO, that's the most ghetto PSU mod ever. I should so do this to a few of the old ones lying around in my cupboard
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

c_hegge: Hahaha, that's a real good one!
                            Good thing the "filler material" is so tasty aswell!
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Aw man, all this time I've been eating tangerines like crazy and never thought of this. If only I saw this sooner...

Comment

heatsink mod sticking up=blower sticking out of the hood on hotrod.
                                Originally posted by loknar28 View Post

Added a heatsink from an old SGI Origin 200, which allowed me to overclock the router safely in DDWRT. Plus it looks fast.... ;-)

Comment

I needed more capacitance.

When I was taking the first picture, my camera thought the vent on one of the electrolytic caps was a face.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

^ mmm I.Q. caps. Lovely!

I like the stacked tantalums, though. If only you had 2 yellow ones and 1 black, you could have make it look like a 141 uF sandwich (assuming 47 uF per cap).

Comment

The black ones are 100uF.

Comment

OK, so I wanted a small desk fan and I had a spare Arctic Breeze USB fan, but it didn't quite reach me from the front USB ports on my PC (and I've known heavier devices like these to destroy USB ports), so I decided to make a custom stand for it.
                                        Attached Files
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Time to jump-start this thread again...

I finally took pictures of the second ghetto-modded case that houses my second HiPro unit - a DL-P2507FWP REV:H01. The case came from an old gutless JNC PSU that burned itself up many ages ago.

Actually, for anyone that is interested, this is what's left of that JNC PSU:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=165

And this is what it used to look like (different caps aside):
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=m-tec

Now it houses this:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1361932919

Quite an improvement from the original PSU guts, no?
                                          I also added all of the round holes in the case - they are positioned so that cool air blows right where the heat sinks are.

If you're wondering what those pieces of steel sheet on the bottom of the case are in these pictures:
                                          - basically the mounting holes on the HiPro PCB are slightly further apart than what the case provided. Also, the threads inside two of the PCB standoffs were stripped so I couldn't use them anyways. Ended up cutting them off and then using 2 pieces of steel sheet on each side of the bottom of the case to have something that the new standoffs could mount on. Another modification I did was change the wiring on the IEC power receptacles to 18 AWG 600V rated wire (was 22 AWG 300V rated wire originally on that crappy JNC PSU! ). As for the connector - it came from some junk PCBs I picked up from a TV repair shop. Voltage-selector switch is from a cheapo Raidmax RX-380K PSU. Wire on it is 600V 20 AWG rated.

The CBE-branded fan is actually original to that JNC PSU. I wanted to put a better sleeve bearing fan there, but I didn't have any. Cut the grille out, though, because it was very restrictive. The CBE fan is already weak enough as it is, especially with HiPro's temperature controller - so I don't need it to be even weaker.

And the Pizza Hut sticker? - I don't know how that came about, but I swear I'm not advertising for Pizza Hut (if anything I prefer Dominoes or Papa John's, but whatever). I was 11 or 12 at the time so I don't remember why I put that there. Probably had pizza before I decided to take apart that broken PSU that night.

I think I'll post the rest of the guts of that HiPro PSU in the PSU Pictorial thread. It's nice.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by momaka; 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X