Seagate ST500LT012 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate ST500LT012 Problem

I have this model HDD.Hdd connect to via usb 3.0 hdd tool,power on spinning drive and hit the head power off.

I removed the hdd's motherboard,test the capacitors,resistors etc.

in the red circle capacitor short circuit but I removed both of capacitor on motherboard everythink normal.

I not find the board schematic.I need to helps.

I have similar to three HDDs.
    TOSHIBA MK5055GSXN no power.
    TOSHIBA MK3276GSX
    SAMSUNG HMUI no power.

Should I open a topic,separately for these HDD's or should I continue with this topic ?
    Attached Files

Re: Seagate ST500LT012 Problem

Does it spin up, go click click (heads moving) then power off?
    Last edited by dicky96; 04-16-2021, 03:44 PM.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
      Does it spin up, go click click (heads moving) then power off?
      hi dicky96

yes yes exactly

Comment

Originally posted by ay_erdi View Post
        hi dicky96

yes yes exactly
        The drive has failed. If the data on it doesn't matter, destroy the platters (warning: glass platters!) and dispose of the remains in any way you see fit. Otherwise, reinstall the controller PCB and send it to a data recovery company. (ACS, DriveSavers, Gillware, etc)
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I second what Tech Geek says
          I have a 2Tb seagate that has the same problem. I read a forum post somewhere, where someone had exactly this, and he bought a replacement controller board - they are easily available on aliexpress or ebay. The next step is to desolder the BIOS chip from the original controller board and fit it to the new board. Finally fit the new board.

In his case he claims it then worked

I tried exactly the same (mine was an identical model HDD) and in my case it made absolutely no difference - spin up - seek -seek - power down.

So you could consider that 50/50 and maybe give it a go but from my own experience I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rich
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Hi friends,

I want to repair it myself this hdds.I guess nothing can be done.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

If the HDD spins up and clicks (head seek) but cannot initialize properly afterwards, then it's probably a failed head on the headstack or buffer amp on the headstack assy. So in that case, you could try to swap the headstack with another one from the same model HDD... but that's really only worth doing if you have valuable data on the HDD or just if trying to learn to do data recovery from a failed HDD.

Otherwise, just as a repair to get a working HDD, it really isn't worthwhile.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              The drive has failed. If the data on it doesn't matter, destroy the platters (warning: glass platters!) and dispose of the remains in any way you see fit.
              I honestly see no reason to try to destroy non-working HDDs in personal PCs. People must be watching too many movies to have that kind of paranoia. If you just chuck the HDD in the trash / recycle bin / e-waste collection site as-is, it will be fine. No one's going to take an unknown HDD and spend 10's of hours (if not more) to try to recover data off of the HDD in hopes of finding sensitive information for profiting (CC numbers, identity, and etc.) It's too much effort, especially for an HDD from a personal PC. Now, if it was some HDD from a large multi-million corporation, that might be a different case. But even then, even if there was any sensitive data on there, you'd have to get around any possible file-encryption methods that the company could have used with a software on their HDDs. So in the end, even such HDDs may not be worthwhile to bother with.
              So the whole "destroy the HDD so someone doesn't steal your data" argument is just unnecessary paranoia, IMO.

Comment

@momaka
                how does one go about changing the head stack? step-by-step if possible. Just for the purposes of learning to do data recovery, it sounds interesting, if not down right fun
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

@momaka
                  how does one go about changing the head stack? step-by-step if possible. Just for the purposes of learning to do data recovery, it sounds interesting, if not down right fun

Here's a simplified process:
                  1) Remove drive cover.
                  2) Install jig to protect heads.
                  3) Remove top head stack magnet.
                  4) Unscrew connector that connects head stack to the controller board.
                  5) Unscrew and remove head stack.
                  6) Repeat steps 1-5 for donor head stack.
                  7) Install and screw in donor head stack.
                  8) Screw in connector from donor head stack.
                  9) Reinstall top head stack magnet.
                  10) Remove jig.
                  11) Reinstall drive cover.
                  12) Connect drive to computer running specialized software.
                  13) Build head map and recover as much data as possible. Note: Head 0 is critical. No Head 0, no data recovery.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

@momaka
                    This guy has some excellent videos on swapping the head stack. The tools can be bought on Ali, search for head comb.
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCso...uw4Odm6MyBXLmg

Comment

Thank you very much guys

You now how much I like to play wi....... errmmm I mean experiment with.... this sort of stuff
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Working...
                      X