PS4 WLOD troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 WLOD troubleshooting

So between two monitors, various adapters and now my PS4 dying on me, I think it's fair to say I'm having a bad run of it

My PS4 Slim F-chassis (CUH-2216A, board SAF-003) just went WLOD after plugging it into a monitor through a passive HDMI booster. I've tried safe mode, different cables, different screens, etc. Some monitors seem to get a signal but there's not actually any picture/backlight.

I'm used to playing around with these in terms of basic repairs (I repaired about 1500~ at a facility I used to work at) but have never done board level repair on them, so please bear with me,

I've checked the EMI filters (both for continuity to pins and lack of continuity across pins), diode continuity and for shorts in the circuit and can find no obvious issues (see pictures attached). I'm guessing in order to test voltages etc I have to put some kind of makeshift heatsink on the APU and fire the board up? Is that the best way to do this?

If you have any guides that could be useful I'd really appreciate it too - I've watched a lot of youtube videos but can't seem to find any issues outside of the encoder IC.

Many thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 05-13-2020, 04:30 PM.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Re: PS4 WLOD troubleshooting

I've since taken some voltage readings (attached). Unfortunately after taking those readings and because I am still learning (read: absolutely hopeless at this) I shorted something and the board went dead - I've identified it as being the component circled in blue (attached), which I've removed and the system is now booting again and back to WLOD.

Has anyone got any idea how I'd go about sourcing a replacement component?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
      I've since taken some voltage readings (attached). Unfortunately after taking those readings and because I am still learning (read: absolutely hopeless at this) I shorted something and the board went dead - I've identified it as being the component circled in blue (attached), which I've removed and the system is now booting again and back to WLOD.

Has anyone got any idea how I'd go about sourcing a replacement component?
      set 200K and measure all pins hdmi connector, post

there must be 5 gnd

Comment

Originally posted by reset1986 View Post
        set 200K and measure all pins hdmi connector, post

there must be 5 gnd
        Thanks, I believe I've checked everything with the HDMI pins and can't seem to find any issue. I've ordered a new encoder IC and a part that I think will replace the one I shorted on the back.

Comment

This facebook game console repair forum is well worth joining has some great ps4 info https://www.facebook.com/groups/console.repair.legion/

Comment

Cheers, I'll take a look if I have no luck! I've replaced the HDMI encoder today but can't test it yet because I'm still waiting for the other component... I'm worried I might have killed the chip as it took me about 10 minutes to get the damn thing in the right place but we'll see.

Comment

Thanks, I believe I've checked everything with the HDMI pins and can't seem to find any issue. I've ordered a new encoder IC and a part that I think will replace the one I shorted on the back.
              often on the ps4 the measurements are wrong, replace the encoder making sure to solder it, replace the ic in short, measure all the HDMI pins with 5GND- 1 N.C - 13 values

Comment

HDMI socket is all fine, 5GND and 13 connections with the IC removed from the board. I replaced the HDMI IC, no luck but I think I may have cooked it as I had a really rough time getting the chip soldered. I've ordered another one and am going to try again.

Comment

Hi guys, another question on this before I change the IC again. Has anyone got any idea why I'd be getting 2.2V on the bottom-right pin of the SOT-23 component near the purple square if that leg is supposed to be NC?

I replaced this part with a 2.5V fixed-voltage LDO, and on these LDOs that bottom right pin is NC (no internal connection). Why would I be getting 2.2V on that pin if it was NC? After my first attempt to replace the HDMI IC + the SOT-23 at the same time, I was only getting 0.45V on that leg. I get 2.5V again at the top-right pin, as expected.

I'm just wondering if I should have replaced it with an adjustable voltage LDO (I used a fixed-voltage ADP151AUJZ-2.5-R7), because adjustable voltage LDOs use that NC pin for feedback to adjust the voltage. But I can't find where this would be driven from - I'm only getting continuity with the ceramic cap underneath it, I can't find anywhere else.
                  Last edited by spleenharvester; 05-25-2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Just as a follow up to this, I've given up on this board - still WLOD after two IC replacements and I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with the circuit. Going to flip it on ebay.

Comment

Just as a follow up to this, I've given up on this board - still WLOD after two IC replacements and I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with the circuit. Going to flip it on ebay.
                      southbridge problem

Comment

theres a small diode that powers the encoder if its gets out of place any encoder you put in will not work. If one of the filters are damaged it will cause a no signal too. The filters btween the encoder and port can even be damaged with too much heat.

Comment

Working...
                        X