Dell being sued for bad caps on MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell being sued for bad caps on MB

Article in business section of NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/te...1&ref=business

Mentions Nichicon Caps as causing MB's to die. Sued because Dell replaced the bad caps with other known soon to be bad caps.

Re: Dell being sued for bad caps on MB

While the problem may initially have been faulty Nichicon HM/HN caps, there was also a design problem in SFF GX-series boxes with hot Prescott CPUs in close proximity to the VRM caps, insufficient airflow and high ripple-current. Virtually any cap, not just Nichicon HM/HN, would fail in such conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
      While the problem may initially have been faulty Nichicon HM/HN caps, there was also a design problem in SFF GX-series boxes with hot Prescott CPUs in close proximity to the VRM caps, insufficient airflow and high ripple-current. Virtually any cap, not just Nichicon HM/HN, would fail in such conditions.
      Have to agree, even the mid towers had that problem.

Look at the GX 270/280 as well, Dell put a low end fan on the Prescott, the heat sink/fan would whine like a jet engine, the fix was to put a "Gaming" heat sink and fan on the CPU and the problem went away.
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...onent-cover-up

&

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...documents-show

Comment

funny I actually ran into this today (GX280). the fan did spin up. I put some crap paste on it and it actually seriously helped
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

http://arstechnica.com/business/news...-computers.ars

Just saw read this article and the first ting that came to mind was visit this web site.
            CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
            GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982
              http://arstechnica.com/business/news...-computers.ars

Just saw read this article and the first ting that came to mind was visit this web site.
              me too. LOL! Heard about the Dell badcaps from our local computer show here on Maui and sure enough the online news was "read all about it!" I thought to log-in and see if any of you guys heard the news. Duh !! stupid question ...this being the BADCAPS forum and all. Rock on and Happy 4th of July to all.
              Here we go Loop de Loop

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                funny I actually ran into this today (GX280). the fan did spin up. I put some crap paste on it and it actually seriously helped
                I'm almost afraid to ask what "crap paste" is.
                It's not a DIY paste is it?
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

The warranty on these machines just delay the inevitable. They will repair a motherboard just enough to render it functioning and only fix the obvious damage. 95% of the refurbished boards from SX270's/SX280's/GX620's will fail again, and this time it is the caps that they nglected to replace.

What's funny about this is some places (like where I work) have extended their warranties on the GX620's until the 1st quarter of next year, so this is the result:

1.) "Refurbished" motherboard goes bad again within a year, this time the caps that they original did not replace are the culprits.

2.) Supply falls short and our next day service turns into next month as Dell struggles to find replacement motherboards to send us.

Can't complain too much though. Dell's mistakes are what's paying my bills off. "Correctly" fixing these boards/reselling is the easiest 2nd job I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                    X