Panasonic Viera picture issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic Viera picture issues

I'm not sure whether this is a TV issue or a cable/source issue, but I thought I'd ask here.

I recently got one of the new Panasonic Viera 100hz TVs, and am pleased with its performance on digital TV. However, I am a bit disappointed with the picture quality for gaming. I don't have an XBox 360 or PS3, only a Wii, so obviously don't have a proper high-definition source, but I'm sure it shouldn't have these artefacts.

With the component cable, if I set the Wii to output 480p (progressive scan), there is a ghosting effect on the picture, particularly to the right of high contrast areas. If I set the Wii to 480i (interlaced), the ghosting disappears. This is unusual; surely a cable problem would manifest itself on 480i and 576i, as well as 480p. Any ideas?

I also tried with a SCART RGB cable. If I plug the cable directly into the TV, the picture looks good with no noticeable problems. However, if I run through my SCART switch box, a 'herringbone' pattern appears over the whole picture (but only on 60hz mode). I've tried with two different switch boxes, different cables, and it never did this with my old CRT TV, so I doubt it's the box or the cables. Perhaps the TV is more sensitive to RF interference? What do you think?

Finally, I've noticed that the backlight appears to be uneven. With a constant scrolling picture (like from a game), I can see bands of dark and light always at the same area of the screen. Are all modern LED backlit TVs like this, or is it a fault?

I've attached two pictures of the same image on 480i and 480p to illustrate the ghosting. I also tried to take photos of the 'herringbone' pattern, but it's extremely hard to see on photographs.
    Attached Files
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Panasonic Viera picture issues

480i is the best setting on panasonic apparently.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii/6...60hz-480i.html

dunno about the scart box. regarding the backlighting what model is it? i am assuming its an LCD not plasma
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
    X