digital camera flash and focus problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digital camera flash and focus problems

I have a few digital cameras most just don't work but 2 of them are nicer models first off Minolta Diamge S414 has a problem with autofocus and flash. The camera will show "err" in the top lcd when I try and use the flash in auto mode. It just doesn't flash or take a picture when using it in manual mode. Also it will not focus in auto mode. It looks really clear until I push the button to set the camera then it focuses and completely losses the focus! I took the case off to inspect the flash issue because I'm sick of having to always set up lights to use the camera indoors. I see the flash is connected to a capactor that I'm sure is the problem (it shows no visible signs though) but the cap has "photo-flash" printed on it, 330uf 160v and it is kinda heavy for its size (.5" wide and 1.5" tall). Is there really any difference in this cap than any other? The focus is unexplainable but any suggestions are welcome because my Kodak has the same no flash issue, I've tried good rechargables and new alkalines and even have used huge amped powersupplies considering they need 1.5amps @ 6volts to work I've used 3.0 amps @ 7volts and everything inbetween. I haven;'t taken the Kodak apart yet but I'm sure it's another Photo-Flash cap issue. Does this sound like I'm on the right path or is there something else that will cause this?

Re: digital camera flash and focus problems

Hi zinda,

I think the transistors which drive the transformer could be culprit too.

You should check to see if the photo-flash cap even charges up!
    Use a multimeter and CAREFULLY measure the DC voltage on the capacitor.

I have been shocked once by a small .22uF cap charged up with high voltage, it HURTS!!! Never been shocked again though.

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

please. PLEASE!
      Can someone tell me how is this related to computer displays?
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by EGuevarae View Post
        please. PLEASE!
        Can someone tell me how is this related to computer displays?
        Duh!!! The camera has an LCD screen, TWO inverters - one to power the backlight and one to power the flash. So it's like a computer display.

On the other hand, the the camera has a processor and storage, so perhaps it is closer to a laptop.

On the OTHER hand (Motie), many digital cameras have an output connector that will feed the signal to a TV. So perhaps it should be in the 'TV and Video Sources' section.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          Duh!!! The camera has an LCD screen, TWO inverters - one to power the backlight and one to power the flash. So it's like a computer display...

PlainBill
          LOL!
          I expected something like that from Toasty or PC...you surprised me ...

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post

On the other hand, the the camera has a processor and storage, so perhaps it is closer to a laptop.

On the OTHER hand (Motie), many digital cameras have an output connector that will feed the signal to a TV. So perhaps it should be in the 'TV and Video Sources' section.

PlainBill
          That was what I was trying to figure out ....
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

As flash tubes require very high current for a very short time to operate, photoflash capacitors are designed to supply high discharge current pulses without excessive internal heating
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Since there is no forum for cameras general electronics fits better.

There may be a little High Voltage flash module that you can replace it has the flash cap and the associated boost converter in one little assembly. My Sony Cybershot was designed that way anyway.

The module is mostly SMD stuff which is difficult to service without the proper iron and tips so if your camera uses this design replace the module.

It's not always the cap it could be the circuit that charges it as well. It will require troubleshooting if your camera doesn't use the modular design.

Xenon flash tubes are relatively trouble free unlike the high voltage circuits they need to drive them.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
              X