netflix, the network destoryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: netflix, the network destoryer

Yes 20mbps is slow when you have had moar.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Tell your customers to buy decent routers and to switch to cable internet.
      It will snow in Hell before I switch to cable.
      As a heads-up, some 780,000 people have departed from Comcast, DirectTV, et al.

In my area, Comcast is unreliable and predatory.
      They charge late fees for a service you BUY IN ADVANCE.
      My friend pays some $150/month for his bundled all-in-one Comcast baloney.

I run a business on my internet lines, which Comcast demands some $180/month for service.
      If they catch you with a server on a non-business line, off you go.
      Comcast monitors your downloads and nanny's your content (torrents, etc).

Fuck 'em.

Comment

180/month for service
        Here that buys you a 100mbps+ link from them. AT&T spilts its fiber to the NSA. Everything going through their network the government sees.

I've never heard of them charging much in the way of late fees and I was late all the time. Just don't get the bundle.

Bundle has low grade internet, tv and phone. If you just need internet....

But you are in CA so ISPs probably abound.

Comment

Actually, no.

My geographic location ties me to PacBell/SBC/AT&T or whatever the name du jour is currently.

The techs are generally rude, and not much help.
          Evidently they are forced to work 6 days a week, but paid for 5.
          Salaried professionals, and all that.

The network performance is generally sub-par, and prone to overload.
          My neighborhood is 60 year old copper, and fiber is not in our future.

I use an ISP in the area who uses AT&T only for the carrier.
          I do not have to tolerate their sub-standard customer service and endless bullshit over my internet service.

I have two static IP, one for my business and general internet, the other is a public facing line to my support station.
          This allows me to accept incoming NetMeeting clients without interference from a router on the line.
          I've not yet found a NetMeeting equivalent for Win7, so I simply don't support Win7.
          1-900-CALL-BILL

last night, I was at a buddy's place setting up his Win7 HTPC on his 20mbps Comcast line.
          HULU still sux, NetFlix rocks at this data rate.

Comment

So why not screw em and go with 50mbps or 100mbps? For what you're paying I'm sure someone has it, Comcast included.

You may not have fiber locally but AT&T does. They split off to the NSA at a high level so they can capture the most traffic.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky where I am. I can go get 101mbps internet for a while now, I seem to remember that FIOS is talking about 150mbps at some point in the future.

Last time I looked FIOS was approx the same price for their 50mbps offering as the cable co.s 101mbps offering.

Three Internet providers available and four TV + OTA available. Ain't competition great!
              Last edited by TBoneit; 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM. Reason: fixing oops

Comment

ATT sucks balls. I know. I worked there in dsl tech support. Example : one lady had dsl ordered and all set up and had no sync. So she waited an extra 3 weeks thinking ATT was being ATT and dragging their asses till she finally called in to check what was up. I pull up her order and it says pending, open up the status, and find the RT for her area was to be built 2 YEARS LATER!!! Then again my isp here in wyoming sucks too. Fuckers sent me to collections after I told them I wasn't paying $75 a month for a 20k conection. Id say there were 4 days out of 3 months that I actually got decent speeds and pings. The problem isn't netflix. Its the isps running the endpoints. Once I get the money saved up for the install fee im going with a local dsl provider. I personally know the people that manage the local infistructure and I know they provide the speeds they say. I still miss my dual 50meg lines with load balancer I had in phoenix. Cox rockers my boxorz.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  The caps they want to implement are a bit ridiculous, but the whole thing has been a sham to begin with. They will never implement these caps, the whole thing was to give Canadians the feeling that there is something that they have a say in (Since in reality, they have a say in nothing). Of course they are too stupid to realize this faux controversy.
                  <.<
                  My Computer.
                  AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                  Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                  Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                  500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                  1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                  2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Telus is one of the worst providers you can get in canada.
                    My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin View Post
                      It will snow in Hell before I switch to cable.
                      As a heads-up, some 780,000 people have departed from Comcast, DirectTV, et al.

In my area, Comcast is unreliable and predatory.
                      They charge late fees for a service you BUY IN ADVANCE.
                      My friend pays some $150/month for his bundled all-in-one Comcast baloney.

I run a business on my internet lines, which Comcast demands some $180/month for service.
                      If they catch you with a server on a non-business line, off you go.
                      Comcast monitors your downloads and nanny's your content (torrents, etc).

Fuck 'em.
                      telus does the same thing in canada..
                      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Well I'm with the Verizon cheap plan. I watch the netflix stuff every day. I've only had a very few slow connections to netflix. I just jump out then jump back in and it works fine. I guess all the other people in the area are cussing me using up the band width.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

This forum doesn't have 666 posts anymore.

It seems like Internet and TV services are very expensive. My parents pay $70 a month for 5Mbps DSL and $150 a month for DirecTV. Netflix is also too expensive for the amount of use it would get. I haven't seen a movie I liked in years.

That DSL connection isn't as slow as it sounds. The fastest download speed I have ever seen was only 500KB/s. I had to start a second download at the same time to use up the full bandwidth. The combined transfer rate at this time was about 800KB/s.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                            My parents pay $70 a month for 5Mbps DSL and $150 a month for DirecTV.
                            Whaat! That's $220 /month! That should be considered as rape.
                            And I thought the cable companies around here were bad.

Comment

I can't convince them to get rid of DirecTV or at least cancel the premium channels that nobody watches. They are paying for the full package and all of the premium channels and refuse to get rid of them.

I don't know of any ISPs other than Qwest where I live.

Comment

I don't know of any ISPs other than Qwest where I live.
                                Explains the $70 /mo for 5 Mbps DSL. Damn monopolies.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                  I have ATT dsl at home a 3.0 plan that gets 2.5 at best, now at night iam speed testing to various servers and get 1.05mbps which is total bullshit, i never used to have these speed problems a few months ago
                                  Don't blame NetFlix lol. More likely, it's a DSLAM problem, if not at the house end!

I would just change the house telephone wiring and reboot the router.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Explains the $70 /mo for 5 Mbps DSL. Damn monopolies.
                                    I don't think it is actually a monopoly. Comcast is available in this area (which I forgot about earlier) and there are probably some other DSL providers, but I am sticking with the DSL service provided by the phone company. I don't think that a connection speed over 1.5Mbps is going to have much of a speed improvement unless you download multiple files at the same time.

Comment

I don't think that a connection speed over 1.5Mbps is going to have much of a speed improvement unless you download multiple files at the same time.
                                      I notice easily! Even 10 Mbps is slow to me!

In the late 2000s, anything lower than 11 Mbps is bullshit!

Unlike 2004 and 2005, it gets bogged down with less than 10 Mbps!
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Don't get me started on my internet connection...
                                        In the evenings when people are watching Netlifx (including me sometimes) the "6Mbps" DSL is more like 0Mbps DSL. Why? Because the AT&T lines and nodes out here suck, (even more than they do anywhere else), and it kicks my modem off the network when it's overloaded. I restart my modem, and it works again for a while, then it kicks me off... sort of an endless cycle.

I called them and they sent out a tech who futzed with the wiring outside of the apartment building... and guess what? It got worse! Yes, I'm not kidding, the connection was even less reliable.
                                        So they send another tech. He said the other guy did something wrong. This guy
                                        "fixed" it. Oh well, I still get pings from 60 (good moment) to 200ms (bad moment), and speeds from 5.1Mbps (good) to 0.2 (bad)...

I hate AT&T. I wish Comcast were cheaper. My friend has their service and he gets ~40Mbps with 20ms ping

Oh and talking about AT&T my AT&T cell phone doesn't work out here. Neither does Verizon. Guess what works? SPRINT! Yes, that crappy carrier that nobody uses, gets 3 bars IN MY APARTMENT...
                                        Grr...

LOL!

Comment

You get what you pay for. Like I said before just because they sell you 100Mbs down 20Mbs up DSL/Cable/Fiber thats not a Guarnanteed Speed (learn to read and read your contract)! Unless you buy / pay for a Guarnateed Speed "ISDN / Partial T1 / T1 / T3 / Etc don't complain about slow your internet is just because you are too lazy to read what they are really saying they will provide you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X