Panasonic LS-120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic LS-120

Anyone remember this device? I have a Panasonic LS-120 in hand, i tested it work in normal 3.5" floppy diskette now, but i don't have a LS-120 diskette in hand. I have searched this kind of diskette for a long time in my side. I can't find it till to now....Anyone body have this kind of diskette? Or, anybody know where can buy this kind of diskette? I need one piece for testing.

Thanks for anybody get some helps.
    Attached Files
    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Re: Panasonic LS-120

I still have a couple LS120 drives. I have a few of the 120mb disks, I'll find you a few. How many do you want?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
      I still have a couple LS120 drives. I have a few of the 120mb disks, I'll find you a few. How many do you want?
      I just need 1 piece of 120MB disk only. Thanks TC.
      My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

I have two these internal drives - one is bad (the head just moves erratically around), one works fine. I also have external one called Imation Superdisk, connects to parallel port.

Comment

Man, I've never even SEEN one of those...Heard of them though. I thought Zip/100 disks were rare...
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

It's nice - looks almost like standard floppy drive except the eject is electric and connects to IDE, reads/writes standard floppy disks too (sometimes even those that are unreadable by standard FDD) and of course the special 120MB ones. It was meant as FDD replacement while keeping backwards compatibility (all 1999 and newer BIOSes can boot from it). Too bad it wasn't successful - we'd have maybe 1GB floppies now.

Comment

I was into these around the time that Zips were suffering from click of death.
              They served well as an interum device before USB made remote storage so easy.
              Jim

Comment

IDE, eh? I have to get me one somewhere... Thanks for the info, Rainbow.
                You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.

Comment

I have two laptops with them and at least a couple in a junk box.
                  Your welcome to one if your serious, I'd send it right out to you.
                  PM me but remember they are really obsolete. I have an Imation and I think a Panasonic, maybe it was NEC, it's been awhile.

I'll never forget waving the disk around saying look, I can fit 100 floppies on this.
                  It was such a leap from the 5' floppies that were actually "floppy".
                  Jim

Comment

I actually still use my LS120's for transporting BIOS's and other small files between my house and shop, since the shop has no internet access (its very rural). Floppies are worthless, but with the 120mb disks, there's actually good uses for them on occasion!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I had about 150 of the 8 inch 10 meg Bernoulli drives... it was external (no kidding) and had 2 drives in the case. The monster was state-of-the-art in it's day...

Wifh I have some pics, but I was FORCED to toss them.
                      There is no fear, there is power.
                      There is no death, there is immortality.
                      There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.
                      I am the Heart of Darkness.
                      I know no fear, But rather I instill it in my enemies.
                      I am the destroyer of worlds.
                      I know the power of the Dark Side.
                      I am the fire of hate.
                      All the Universe bows before me.
                      I pledge myself to the Darkness.
                      For I have found true life, In the death of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by wetback
                        Wifh I have some pics, but I was FORCED to toss them.
                        Damn those wives!! LOL
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

That reminds me of the Woody Allen movie, I think it was Sleeper, where he's hanging out the window on a gigantic computer tape.
                          Jim

Comment

Wow, arneson, that's great of you! If I can ever find any disks it'd be a decent backup solution; otherwise it'd still be a better floppy drive than the Mitsumis and Sonys they put out nowadays. The best you can do now is Panasonic, it seems...Although many old TEACs and the like from 10, 15 years ago are still chugging.

Sounds like some great conversation pieces, wetback. Shame you had to get rid of them.

Comment

I also had a fully functional Digital Rainbow 100 (8088 proc) that was dual floopy, no hard drive... had every bit (byte?) of 64K or memory... that went out too.

I still have a stack of these:

AND the drives for them (SCSI of course)
                              Last edited by wetback; 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM.
                              I am the fire of hate.

Comment

Originally posted by wetback
                                I also had a fully functional Digital Rainbow 100 (8088 proc) that was dual floopy, no hard drive... had every bit (byte?) of 64K or memory... that went out too.
                                Fully functional even, after what, 20-25 years? Tremendous! And some refuse to believe me when I say that the reliability of hardware's really gone down the drain (and not just bad caps) over the last 10 years.

Comment

wetback, that'd be a heckuva cool case mod...build a modern PC in there! Have a slot-loading CD drive where one of the floppy drives was, put whatever behind the other...man that'd be cool. Pair it with an IBM model M or the like (clicky keyboards last forever, too, I'm on a 10+ year old mechanical Dell) and show it to people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
                                    wetback, that'd be a heckuva cool case mod...build a modern PC in there! Have a slot-loading CD drive where one of the floppy drives was, put whatever behind the other...man that'd be cool. Pair it with an IBM model M or the like (clicky keyboards last forever, too, I'm on a 10+ year old mechanical Dell) and show it to people.
                                    Sorry, that's long gone
                                    I do have an old Gateway PII desktop cat (it's a small thing, about a 3U)...
                                    I plan to stuff a modern board in the thing if I can cut a PSU down to size, the PCB from a 425watt PSU I have is the same size as the PCB in the existing PSU, but the external connections have to be removed, and I can't solder to save my life. I once used about an ounce of lead solder to connect 2 wires.
                                    I'm quite skilled at case modding, been stuffing things where they don't belong for years.

NO NOT THAT KINDA STUFFING... --- perv
                                    I am the fire of hate.

Comment

Oh yes, one of those bastids. Smaller-than-spec hole for the PSU and screwholes either in the wrong place or there and useless, right? Got a half dozen of those in my basement.

Good luck with it!

(My PC is in a full-tower early-ATX Gateway 2000 full server tower right now. 34 pounds stripped, without PSU...)

And don't worry, I'm not very good at soldering either. What're we doing here?!

Comment

Working...
                                      X