No announcement yet.

Is there a list of Socket A motherboards which are immune from the plague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a list of Socket A motherboards which are immune from the plague

Find a geode NX system.. the NX is an undervolted socket A processor...
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Regarding the NF7's:

Almost all NF7 boards have good caps (Rubycon MBZ and ZL). But some of the earliest ones have cheap caps:
      http://www.overclockers.com.au/artic...?id=160074&P=2

As you can see, the Rev1.0 NF7 is to be avoided. But Rev1.2 has the good caps, and really you should go for 2.x to get faster FSB support. Conveniently, it looks like you can distinguish the rev1.0 by it's brown board color. All the others are orange as far as I know. This is all the more reason to avoid rev1.0 - they apparently got a new run of PCB's when they revised it, so the old one may have a problem with the trace layout. In any case, I bet rev1.0 is NOT the version that made these boards famous.

The only problem with these boards is the chipset fan always dies, and the "heatsink" is little more than a fan holder. If you plan to underclock then this probably isn't a big deal, otherwise replace the heatsink with a real one. Many people just remove the dead fan and don't have a problem, but I wouldn't do that at max FSB.
      Last edited by gdement; 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I installed a good number of NF7 v2.0 boards, always with a huge Zalman passive heat sink on the chipset. Only 1 has failed, and it was murded by a Bestec PSU. Pity. Great board, died a horrible death due to cheap-ass PSU.

What bums me today is the large number of negative comments I see on all the AMD 64 boards. I'd like to start using the big processors, but I see no end of grief commentary with all the various boards. Multiple DOAs, etc. I don't need that crap, so I stick with Socket 462 stuff until I'm forced out.

Comment

I popped off my northbridge HSF after the fan stopped. Luckily no damage to my NF7. I installed an old socket-7 HSF I had. Overkill, but the northbridge never gets above ambient temps.
          A great board.

I'm with bgavin....would like to move up to a Athlon 64 x2 Brisbane, with the way prices are falling. But what motherboard?
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
            The only problem with these boards is the chipset fan always dies, and the "heatsink" is little more than a fan holder. If you plan to underclock then this probably isn't a big deal, otherwise replace the heatsink with a real one. Many people just remove the dead fan and don't have a problem, but I wouldn't do that at max FSB.
            That's because they were cheap knock-off's of the real IceberQ fansinks made by Vantec, I replaced mine with one of those beauties and it lasted longer than I had the board, AFAIK it's still going strong 2 years after I installed it

Vantec IceberQ series chipset coolers Rock!

Originally posted by bgavin
            What bums me today is the large number of negative comments I see on all the AMD 64 boards. I'd like to start using the big processors, but I see no end of grief commentary with all the various boards. Multiple DOAs, etc. I don't need that crap, so I stick with Socket 462 stuff until I'm forced out.
            I've had chipset compatability issues with VIA K8T800 & Radeon 9xxx series AGP cards, and while the Asus K8VX S/E I own had it's integrated sound (AC'97) die off, the same chipset on the replacement Abit AV8-Pro has been nothing less than awesome!

* shakes fist @ Asus *

I usually buy the final release motherboards rather than endure hiccups, this approach has seen me well served by the Abit Nf7-s Ultra400, & MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 Ultra) platforms
            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

If you end up going socket A still, the older Epox boards had cap issues, but the newer ones, including later Socket A boards, are fine. My 8RDA3I Pro, for example, is all Rubycon and Panasonic.
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Working...
              X