Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emachines T2042 *dead*

Hello Everyone,

My uncle, who lives in the USA has an E-Machines T2042 PC (Celeron 2GHz). I've seen the system itself when I was there last year....

Problem is that now it will not POST. He told me that the power light is now flashing and there is no video on the monitor, when the PC is switched on.
    Prior to this, he said that the PC was very slow and doing all sorts of strange things.
    About 2 weeks ago the external Linksys USB Wireless receiver wasn't detected after a windows reinstall.
    Then the PC wouldn't shut down and kept clicking.... he said it sounded like electricity zapping noises.
    Then a few days ago, he plugged the PC back in to see if the problem was still there and it didn't show anything on the monitor and that the power light was flashing.
    He can still hear and electrcal zapping/ clicking noise inside his PC though.... apparently, it is coming from the back of the PC.
    I personally don't know what the situation looks like because i'm not in the USA.... I'm at least 10000KM away from where he lives.
    What I think happened is that the PSU killed the motherboard and whatever was on it.
    I have no idea what brand the PSU is, but looking through other threads, I think it's most likely a Bestec and they are prone to kill Emachines motherboards.
    Does anyone know what the power light flashing is telling us?? Is the motherboard dead or is it something else??

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Emachines T2042 *dead*

you unfortunately are correct.
    bestec blow em up special strikes again.

Comment

ugh bestec. The only thing I have found them useful for is powering my HID lights, those are designed to withstand up to 18V since they go in a car which has horrible dirty power.

Comment

Ok, well it looks like i'll have to send him a new motherboard then. I have a Trigem Imperial GL_VE board here from a HP 533a PC (I think) it had bad TMS caps, which I recapped a while back and I also tested the board with a 2GHz Celeron CPU and it runs fine.
        Since his Bestec PSU has now practically ruined his motherboard. Would it have taken along with it, the CPU and RAM??
        He says he can hear something clicking inside the computer while the power light flashes?? Maybe the VRM is fried or shorted.... taking with it the CPU??
        Also, what would be a good PSU that he could purchase?? I was searching up some Antec 350W units at Frys electronics.... they cost $39.99 but I have no idea how good they are....he lives in CA so I think Frys electronics is the only place that you can actually get parts from?.... I could be wrong though.

Thanks.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

have a similar box on the bench right now.
          celeron 2.8,512mb ddr,mobo all dead due to the bestec attack
          the ticking is the psu trying to start into a dead short.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            All I can say is "nasty!!!". That would be one expensive repair bill.....replace the whole core of a system!

Comment

Thats definitely bad. What about the optical drives, floppy drives, Hard drives and input devices (K/B & Mouse).... would they be fried too??

I have a strange feeling that the USB devices that were plugged into the PC are also fried.... since they are powered by the 5V line.

I know what it's like to have a fried up PC. I knew a friend who had Deer PSU attack once.... the PC just stayed blank.... but the damage wasn't as bad as the bestec attack.... only her Motherboard southbridge was fried.

So now my uncles repair bill is more like a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.... this sounds quite costly.... the "e" in e-machines probably stands for 'evil' - machines.
              Last edited by stevo1210; 07-08-2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                If the CPU and RAM are dead. Would it be safe to test them in another motherboard or will they fry the new board too??
                I'm only afraid if the burnt out CPU and RAM burn out the new motherboard with it....
                I told my uncle to go and buy an Antec 350W Basiq unit....they are value for money.... I think they won't have bad caps nowadays....

Thanks.

Comment

Is there some other way of testing the CPU and RAM?? I don't want the new motherboard to burn out like the old one because of burnt out parts....

Comment

My uncle pruchased an Antec Basiq 350W PSU and his e-machines PC booted right up, POSTed and loaded Windows XP.
                    It seems that he was quite lucky that the Bestec PSU didn't ruin the whole PC.

Thank you everybody for the assistance.

Comment

After my uncle changed the power supply and the PC booted up, he thought that everything was OK.
                      But he just found out that none of the USB ports work, even after reformatting the PC.
                      The USB function is also enabled in BIOS, but there's no difference.
                      He's also tried flash drives and none of them work at all.
                      Any ideas what's dead??
                      I think that the old Bestec PSU killed the 5V line to USB or something like that....

Comment

I was just thinking, could a 5V line from the PSU be soldered onto the +5V pin on the F-USB header or somthing like that??
                        In the past, I have seen motherboards that have only dead USB ports with everything else working fine.... IIRC, the motherboard that I saw with this issue was an Asus P4P800-SE? with an Intel ICH5 southbridge.
                        It's very strange and I have no idea why it happens.

Comment

I think the simplest solution for him would be to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card. I found a good Belkin one at CompUSA.

It looks something like this:
                          http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=52053544

Anyone here have any experiences with USB PCI cards?? I've never used one before so I don't know what they are like.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                            I think the simplest solution for him would be to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card. I found a good Belkin one at CompUSA.

It looks something like this:
                            http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=52053544

Anyone here have any experiences with USB PCI cards?? I've never used one before so I don't know what they are like.

Thanks.
                            I have one in my main system (I use too many USB devices). It works fine with all my devices, I haven't had a problem with it since I bought it in 2005. It works just like the onboard USB on my motherboard.

If he really gets fed up with losing all his onboard USB ports, then a motherboard replacement is probably needed.
                            Last edited by Newbie2; 08-11-2007, 08:51 AM.
                            My gaming PC:
                            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I routinely install Belkin USB 2.0 cards in client machines that only have USB 1.1. I never have trouble with the cards, and WinXP recognizes them immediately.

If your onboard USB are dead, try disabling them in CMOS. I don't think this will affect the add-on card, but you should always test it, to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                I routinely install Belkin USB 2.0 cards in client machines that only have USB 1.1. I never have trouble with the cards, and WinXP recognizes them immediately.
                                USB 1.1-era motherboards also usually had only 2 USB ports in the back, so adding 4 more would be nice for them. With these cards in, they wouldn't have to rely on less-reliable USB hubs to get more USB ports.

If you plug a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.1 port in WinXP, you would get that annoying "This device can run faster" ballon pop-up in the taskbar.
                                Last edited by Newbie2; 08-11-2007, 10:10 AM.
                                My gaming PC:
                                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I just got an update from my uncle about the issue with his USB ports and it turns out that they still work.

Only problem is this:

* When a U3 enabled flash drive is plugged in, it is not detected. (Also the reason why he thought the USB ports died)

* His Linksys USB wireless 802.11b/g adaptor is detected in Windows but refuses to connect to any network, though it works on all other PCs except for his eMachines. It worked on the eMachines before the old Bestec PSU went belly up.

I just tole him to go and reformat his PC with the original eMachines XP recovery CD.... I'll update about what happens after he reformats his PC.

Thanks.

Comment

May be, the fuses are blown. I once shorted out an usb Vdd line.
                                    I sure soldert a 5v line richt to the usb header.

Comment

IIRC after one of the other OEM got its balls in the ringer for proprietary parts, e-machines starting using OTS parts, hence you can throw any ATX PSU into a newer e-machine... you can even get replacement mainboards without having to jump through mega-hoops.

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/sys_lookup.asp

mainboard = MB, IMPERIAL-GL (REV C2, D or E) T2042.. barf!
                                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                        May be, the fuses are blown. I once shorted out an usb Vdd line.
                                        I sure soldert a 5v line richt to the usb header.
                                        Normal flash drives and his new Microsoft Wireless USB mouse works, so I guess the trouble is with something in software. Not hardware.

Originally posted by MD Willington
                                        IIRC after one of the other OEM got its balls in the ringer for proprietary parts, e-machines starting using OTS parts, hence you can throw any ATX PSU into a newer e-machine... you can even get replacement mainboards without having to jump through mega-hoops.

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/sys_lookup.asp

mainboard = MB, IMPERIAL-GL (REV C2, D or E) T2042.. barf!
                                        Well, my uncle changed his PSU with an Antec Basiq 350W one and I guess everthing has been perfect so far. I think Antec Basiq units are FSP OEM?? I hope it has good caps so it lasts a while without blowing anything in his PC.

I recently bought a High Quality (and very expensive) Thermaltake 430W PSU and it has Capxon and Su'scon caps in it... which makes me kinda worried about my expensive Intel D965LTCK motherboard that its powering.
                                        It really makes me wonder how much profit is made of the $120AU that I paid for it....
                                        Hopefully the +5V SB caps in it won't go bust and kill my motherboard and I can't to recap it either. It has a 3 year warranty that I don't want to void.

Thanks.
                                        Last edited by stevo1210; 08-24-2007, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X