Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Originally posted by stj View Post
    it's not a design fault - supercaps do that.

you can just leave it out on a 1.0 - 1.5 series board.
    on a 1.6 board you need "something" or it wont start, so i fit a low impedence 220uf cap.
    I read that the capacitor fails prematurely because it's undersized or the circuit isn't built correctly.

(original XBox)

If it's just a case of these capacitors having a lifespan limit then Microsoft should have warned buyers in the manual in a prominent location or, better yet, should have figured out another way to keep time — like a battery.
    Last edited by S_S; 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

supercaps have a life rated in charge/discharge cycles,
      m$ should have fucking known from the datasheets that they wouldnt last a year!!

more importantly, they should have not bothered with an RTC,
      it's a games rig - it does not need to know the date or time.
      hell, only the m$ dashboard that nobody even uses anymore even uses that data!!

Comment

how many charge/discharge cycles should a EDLC sustain? That doesn't sound right, if it only can take 1000 cycles or so, that's no better than a rechargeable battery?

They probably have the RTC for DRM/key exchange or something for encryption. Maybe use it to seed the network prior to network time becoming available... Just speculating...

Comment

If it's the first XBox with the 733MHz Intel CPU and the nForce shitset, than probably because it's a PC in console format.
          And not that much custom stuff compared to modern consoles...

Modern consoles are totally custom, specified by the console seller....

Comment

These images are making me really consider not putting off replacing caps that are going bad in my computer, here are some Nichicon 3300uF 6.3v 105 H0139 HM series capacitors on my Asus A7V266-E motherboard that are in need of replacement. Definitely looking at putting in some polymer caps in there.

Comment

Gonna have to try polymers, it may or may not work. But 39th week of 2001 is among the years of bad HN, HM caps so nothing surprising there.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                Gonna have to try polymers, it may or may not work. But 39th week of 2001 is among the years of bad HN, HM caps so nothing surprising there.
                Not contradicting, but a 17 year life isn't exactly awful.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Yep, likely just a light use most of the time.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by gryffinwings View Post
                    These images are making me really consider not putting off replacing caps that are going bad in my computer, here are some Nichicon 3300uF 6.3v 105 H0139 HM series capacitors on my Asus A7V266-E motherboard that are in need of replacement. Definitely looking at putting in some polymer caps in there.
                    1) the Pics don't work (no more?)
                    2) In that case you could eventually try ramming in 12,5mm 16V/3300uF Panasonic FM. Those have similar or the same value than the Nichicon. Problem: they are way bigger. And the only caps, to my knowledge, that are widely available and can be used as replacement of Nippon Chemicon KZG and similar...

Though it needs some creativity as the caps are 25% bigger...

Comment

Suncon still produces WG so 3300/6.3 are still easily available, plus I got some stock of Rubies MFZ 2700/6.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                        Suncon still produces WG so 3300/6.3 are still easily available
                        I'm not sure where you're getting them, but they're nowhere to be found with my regular haunts.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Wanna some? Should have some of them moneiz around the end of the year so I could actually finally order some (they still want payment in advance) Will likely start with 1800/6.3 D8 though since I have those D10 MFZ which are more than fine for any board.

Comment

This is what happens when you release the magic smoke :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                              If it's the first XBox with the 733MHz Intel CPU and the nForce shitset, than probably because it's a PC in console format.
                              And not that much custom stuff compared to modern consoles...

Modern consoles are totally custom, specified by the console seller....
                              Ironically, minus cap problems, the PC-based version 1x XBoxes seem to be much more reliable than an XBox 360, especially the early XBox 360s!
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the 360 biggest problem is again the clowns at m$ hardware center.
                                they put an undersized heatsink on the gpu and then put a dvd drive above it.

forget all the crap you hear about washers, screw-kits, reflow etc.
                                all you need to do is remove the dvd drive and put a spare cpu cooler on the gpu and they run fine!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  the 360 biggest problem is again the clowns at m$ hardware center.
                                  they put an undersized heatsink on the gpu and then put a dvd drive above it.

forget all the crap you hear about washers, screw-kits, reflow etc.
                                  all you need to do is remove the dvd drive and put a spare cpu cooler on the gpu and they run fine!!
                                  Well, like with today's video cards with turning up the fan, if that was done when it was brand new, then the solder probably wouldn't crack or move.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

An old news article, but still relevant...

https://wongm.com/2015/01/melbourne-...iemens-trains/

(Note, the blog as a link to articles from The Age, which is a paywalled news site, if you absolutely need to click on them, open the links in private/incognito mode to get around it)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      I'm not sure where you're getting them, but they're nowhere to be found with my regular haunts.
                                      They're available at LCSC (https://www.lcsc.com/mobile/product-...G_C242095.html)

Comment

Working...
                                      X