Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gigabyte motherboard PC won't post

Hi all
    I upgraded my sister-in-laws computer system with a new Gigabyte motherboard board (GA-EP45-UD3R), new processor (Intel E7400 2.8 GHz), new power supply (seasonic M12ii 500W) and new memory (Patriot viper extreme 4GB DDR2 2x2GB PC2-6400). I replaced an older gigabyte board with the dreaded antec 380 W power supply that blew that failed due to the PS and blown capacitor (I fixed that board because of this great forum; another thread and I am still using it as my backup system). Anyway, I went with the new motherboard because it had all solid caps, 2 Oz copper, etc. I wanted to make sure it didn't fail on her anytime soon. I installed this system over a year ago, and it has been working fine until a couple of weeks ago. The system kept rebooting itself periodically. I found a virus in it, fixed that but the system would then randomly reboot by itself. I traced it down to a memory issue. I relaxed the timings manually, as it was taking the timings from the SPD, and also had to bump the voltage of the MCH by a single increment. Without the bump in MCH voltage, the system was unstable but with it, it passed a 24 hour memory, stability, etc test. So I figured this fixed the issue. I found it strange that it was working fine for over 1 year with the default settings, but now it needs a little more voltage. I assumed that something may have degraded slightly but it was ok. Anyway, the computer worked flawlessly for 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden failed to post a couple of days ago. There are no beeps, no screen, etc. The hard light, and power light are on continuously, fans spin, CPU fan spins momentarily and that's about it. I reset the BIOS, pulled all the memory out, and still no beeps which leads me to believe its either a motherboard or CPU failure. I tried another PSU with the same result, and also tested the Seasonic by checking the voltages. Any case, to make a long story short , I was turning the power on and off several times while testing it (i.e. removing memory) when I think a MOSFET(s) blew (a little smoke and smell) under the blue heatsink at the top of the board near the 8 pin ATX connector. My questions are:

1) What caused the MOSFET to blow? Could some of the solid caps have gone bad? Could a failed CPU caused the MOSFET to blow (i.e. acting like a short?)
    2) I'm planning to send the MB back to Gigabyte (3 year warranty) since the MOSFET blew but not sure if the CPU is bad as well
    3) Could the CPU have been damaged (assuming it was good before the MOSFET blew)

Thanks for any help

Re: New Gigabyte motherboard PC won't post

After writing this thread, I'm thinking that maybe the continuous rebooting (my sister-in-law left it in that state for several hours) may have damaged either caps or the MOSFETs on the motherboard such that they were on the edge. Is this possible? The virus I found infected the winlogon executable so the computer would boot up partially into windows and then reboot itself.

Comment

reminds me of when I was deployed overseas for 3 months in 2003 and my room mate left my computer on. During this time a major virus infected a ton of computers causing windows xp to constantly reboot. My computer rebooted 24/7 until finally the hard drive failed.... Sadly I came back and had to order 74GB Western Digital Raptor.

Comment

The continuous rebooting might be a cause. A lot of these boards do a cold restart by shutting off power first. This constant in-rush peak over several hours isn't part of the design process.

I've placed a good number of these boards with clients. None have failed.
        All are running business systems, most are powered up forever.

Comment

I know Seasonic makes good PSUs, but it wouldn't hurt to check the outputs.
          Is it possible that your power is subject to voltage spikes? Have you had any power outages? A power outage could have damaged the PSU.

Comment

GA-EP45-UD3R
            Yes, this particular model has a very high failure rate. It has nothing to do with the PSU. There is either a design flaw with this model or it could be an RoHS related defect. What I suggest is reflowing the P45 Northbridge. Otherwise, trash it.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Yes, this particular model has a very high failure rate. It has nothing to do with the PSU. There is either a design flaw with this model or it could be an RoHS related defect. What I suggest is reflowing the P45 Northbridge. Otherwise, trash it.
              What is the preferred method for reflowing for those without the pro equipment?

Does a heat gun work, or is it too much? The oven method seems fraught with peril, given that oven temperatures are often not what the dial says.

I've got three dead (ie no power at all) motherboards that I'd like to resuscitate.

Comment

No, you can't use the oven in this case, because there is too much plastic that can melt. Some videocards, yes. But not this motherboard.

The way I reflow usually is with a blowtorch. It's very touch and go. You have to make sure to get the correct flow, distance, and time. Otherwise it will burn it.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

does pushing on the nortbridge make it work or exhibit different symptoms?

Comment

I'm sure the one or more Mosfets blew under the heatsink as I heard a sizzle, and then saw and smelled smoke. I didn't play with if after that for fear of destroying other components. I've already mailed the motherboard to GigaByte as it is still under a 3 year warranty ($20 bucks for shipping!). I'm curious to know why it wasn't working in the first place and then why one or more of the MOSFET's blew, and could it have taken out the CPU or memory for example?

Comment

does pushing on the nortbridge make it work or exhibit different symptoms?
                      This trick won't work. Only works with PPGAs like older nVidia MCPs, not FPGA northbridges.
                      GigaByte as it is still under a 3 year warranty ($20 bucks for shipping!)
                      Hah! MSI wants from me $35 "labor fee" AND I have to pay shipping for an MSI P45 Neo3-FR which is supposed to have a 3 year warranty. If it had a second PCIe x16 slot I would consider it. But since I got this for free practically, I'll let it sit here. I don't even know if it's really busted. I haven't tested it yet because I have no chip to test it with.

Comment

I had one of these boards that was DOA when purchased new, very strange considering I don't usually have any issues with Gigabyte boards.

Tried all sorts of CPUs, memory and PSUs, it would never post. It would power on, off, on off, as if it was stuck in a cycle with corrupt BIOS settings and could never fix itself.
                        A second one I ordered is working fine.

I sent the original back, it apparently had the BIOS re-programmed and should work fine. I haven't tested it yet.

As for mosfets blowing, I had one fail on a P5N-E SLI when motherboard standoffs were installed incorrectly by a friend of mine, took an E5200 with it. I believe it shorted out on capacitor leads underneath.
                        Changing the mosfet, capacitor (tested OK but I didn't want to risk it) and CPU and it's been fine for 6 months, running a Q6600 now.

Comment

Gigabyte are shipping the motherboard back after they replaced the burned MOSFET on it. They tested it and says the motherbaord is working fine now. I'll let you know once I get it if this is the case. I'm hoping it was probably a bad heatsink issue? i.e. not properly mounted and caused the MOSFET to overheat

Comment

or a defective mosfet...
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Their theory is that is was a short caused by the PSU. I tested the PSU and its fine. I'm thinking it was either a defective MOSFET that got bad over time or the heatsink contact to that MOSFET was poor causing it to overheat over time. Still haven't got the board back.

Comment

I guess Gigabyte are blaming the PSU because they don't want to blame their QC. Gigabyte are usually good though, hopefully your replacement will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Can you elaborate? I built my main computer around a EP45-UD3P a year ago.

Comment

yeah this is a great board, its what iam running, i have patriot extreme 800mhz ram with 4-4-4-12 timings and they want 2.2 volts at those timings and in the bios it always has the ram at a lower voltage, i put mine to 2.1, however i had bsod errors running the same mem in a p35 ds3l as it put the ram at 1.8. also sometimes i would have this board to where it would keep tripping itself and going on/off on/off, never figuered it out i just shut off power from the switch from my power supply wait a sec and its usually fine and i haven't had issues with it for some time, in fact iam typing this on the p45 using osx on it right now. best of luck with your board
                                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I have the same memory, patriot extreme running the same timings but at 1.8v for over a year with no problems. Its only recently that it started giving me trouble, sporadic reboots. I bumped up the MCH voltage one increment and it was solid for 2 weeks. After that the Moherboard jsut died as I explained at the start of this thread which then led to the blowing of the MOSFET.

Comment

I am running some G.Skill 800mhz, also at 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8v.

If it dies you guys will hear about it here first.

Comment

Working...
                                        X