Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those f#@%&*n!! Intel LGA775 push pins..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those f#@%&*n!! Intel LGA775 push pins..

Anyone have a mod for these things or know of a replacement source for the pins?

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
    Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
    3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
    Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Re: Those f#@%&*n!! Intel LGA775 push pins..

I know they sell a backplate kit with screws. Look around and you'll find it. Was something like $5 last time i checked.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I bought some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mount-Pin-Origin...item3f062ae495

they worked fine

Comment

Thanks bigbeark i couldnt find any on the bay here. I guess the usual slow boat from China applies?

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11178

"I think but I am not 100% sure that the clips will work from socket 1156 and 1366 fans as well." -brethin

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/spare-parts.html

Happy Hunting!
          Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            I know they sell a backplate kit with screws. Look around and you'll find it. Was something like $5 last time i checked.
            I can't find anything on Google, do you remember what it was called or who made it?

The damn stock Intel cooler for my C2D makes my motherboard bend. It would be nice to put a backplate on it.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390278826636
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Just purchased one.

Thank you for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                  I can't find anything on Google, do you remember what it was called or who made it?

The damn stock Intel cooler for my C2D makes my motherboard bend. It would be nice to put a backplate on it.
                  I'm in the same boat with the E5500 system I built. Already ordered an aftermarket cooler with a backplate. I really wish Intel would go back to the coolers like the one the E2160 and other older CPU's came with.

Didn't Intel have a standard for "built-in" back plates when P4 was new? I remember older cases having standoffs right in the motherboard tray for the cooler to attach to.

Comment

Yeah. There was nothing wrong with the socket 478 cooling system (apart from finger damage if you were dumb).

IMO there's something fundamentally wrong with all LGA775 cooling. I put my Scythe Mugen onto a P4 478 and it was quite warm with the processor doing 48C at 3.8GHz. On my E6550 (2.33 @ 3.6) load temps are 70-something celsius but the cooler is COLD. The CPU has been working fine for almost 3 years but still, something doesn't add up here.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

thermal resistance from die to slug.several methods i have seen to remove it.risky though.
                      Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Yeah. There was nothing wrong with the socket 478 cooling system (apart from finger damage if you were dumb).

IMO there's something fundamentally wrong with all LGA775 cooling. I put my Scythe Mugen onto a P4 478 and it was quite warm with the processor doing 48C at 3.8GHz. On my E6550 (2.33 @ 3.6) load temps are 70-something celsius but the cooler is COLD. The CPU has been working fine for almost 3 years but still, something doesn't add up here.

Comment

P4s had integrated heatspreaders too and yet the transfer was much better. I did remove the top of a E2180 once... and it ended up with WORSE temps afterwards.

Comment

I'm running the Mugen-II cooler on 775 and 115x Gigabyte boards.
                          These come with a very sturdy backplate and work very well.
                          Note: be sure to check for soldered cap stubs in the bracket field.
                          One of my GA boards was sticking up too high, so I snipped it down.

VRM cooling is no longer a problem on the newer boards with VRM heat pipes and a cross-flow cooler such as the Mugen-II.
                          I run mine with a pair of 800 rpm Scythe 120mm fans in push-pull.
                          This provides max cooling and silent operation.

I am accumulating a collection of push-pin stock coolers.
                          The ones that come with the quads have a copper core, the others are solid aluminum.
                          I keep these just in case I have a need for a service part on a stock machine.

Comment

i'm using this
                            http://www.techpowerup.com/75688/Scy...Push-Pins.html

sucks that it seems to have disappeared from all shops..

Comment

Got a few sets from this dealer http://cgi.ebay.com/Mount-Pin-Origin...item3f062ae495 very cheap, fast post

Comment

i might have to get some myself, as i found out that on my dad's 775 prescott 630, this happened:

the fans were running faster than usual, I assumed it was due to the hot temps in the attic. wrong.

what really was going on was one pin was worn and loose, and all of thermal paste had leaked to the bottom edge of the cpu... replacing the grease fixed the issue, but the pins on that cooler (scythe katina) are rather worn and beat up... i had to replace one stolen from a dud heatsink which i no longer have already.

i might consider 2 screw kits (I have a PDC 775 that i use) to eliminate this retarded design
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                X