Computer speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer speakers

Okay, so I'm in the market for a set of high quality and GOOD speakers for my desktop PC. I want something either American, English or German.
    So I went out shopping and had a listen to a few different sets from Bose, JBL and Harman Kardon... and narrowed it down to three so far.

They are:

Bose Companion 5 - $600
    Bose Companion 3 - $500
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks - $350

All these speakers are 2.1 channel, I don't want 5.1 channel these days... too old for it :P

My current set is a 5.1 channel set of Logitech X-530's... while being okay and with pounding bass, I want something that sounds deep, precise and warm.

Currently the sound card in my PC is a Creative X-Fi PCIe 7.1ch... all use the regular 3.5mm jack except for the Bose Companion 5's which use USB... but the Bose Companion 5's seem to topple the others by a bit more and has that 3D effect which kinda blew me away... but the price... O.o

So what do you think guys?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Computer speakers

IMO even $350 is too much for a simply set of speakers. However, if you're going to spend that much it would probably be good to jump up a little ore and go for one of the Bose sets. The only Bose thing I've ever owned was a crummy old CD player, but it sounded AWESOME for it's little size.

Happy shopping
    -shovenose

Comment

yeah.....I'm not a fan of Bose. I like HK, but $350 to me is way expensive. I have a $50ish set of Altec Lansings. Plenty of bass for just stereo speakers (i live in an apartment), plenty of volume, and they sound damned good to me.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I remember seeing a "specials" page from one vendor in a magazine over 10 years ago, and one of the things advertised on this page were "cheap plastic speakers which don't sound like cheap plastic speakers" (Philips brand).
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I'm pleased with my Logitech X-540... kind of the same as yours. Imho Bose are overrated.

If I were to spend that much money, I'd rather get a Onkyo/Yamaha receiver/amplifier and feed it directly digital signal from the computer (and then it doesn't matter what sound card you use)

Some also come with speakers, like this one which is now at 260$ sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400...2053139&sr=1-1

This has several sorted by reviews: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...rank_authority

Comment

I'm a gamer and I use these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121120

I can hook the toslink up from the sound card (which is now dead) and get DD live encoding, and the speakers have a decoder built in and a toslink connection. but since the card died I now have just the analogs hooked up (onboard audio has toslink but no surround DD live/dts encoding, just stereo pcm)

they cost about $280 when I got them over a year ago

this is logitechs replacement for the 5500's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121050
            Last edited by Uranium-235; 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM.
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

A home audio system will always sound better than computer speakers that cost the same. Computer speakers are designed to take up very little space and have extremely loud bass.

Comment

I simply use a pair of bookshelf speakers hooked up to an integrated amp. They're much better than most computer sets, and I have no need for 5.1...

Stay far, far away from Bose.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I have a set of 2.1 Boston computer speakers, 1998 vintage. They sound excellent, super warm sound. They were hiding in a box of old computer crap that was about to be thrown away. I sampled a lot of computer speakers at Frys and these old Bostons put most of the cheaper sets to shame.

For the money you're looking to spend, I think you should find a small amplifier and get some Polk bookshelf speakers. They will probably blow most PC speakers away and will be cheaper too.

Comment

I've had the Soundsticks for a couple of years now.... and love them to pieces.

They have very clear sound. That's the best word I can think of to describe them.

The one think I dislike about them is the volume control and lack of a power switch. The volume is adjusted by two touch pads on the right-hand speaker, or stick.

Used with my Mac, it's not a problem because of the keyboard volume control but if you're accustomed to a volume knob or power switch, they don't have one.

What they do have is very crisp and clear sound with quirky styling.
                    What they are not is something that will break windows or raise the roof.
                    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                      For the money you're looking to spend, I think you should find a small amplifier and get some Polk bookshelf speakers. They will probably blow most PC speakers away and will be cheaper too.
                      Agreed.. something like the Monitor 30's - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290200

Or, if you have the room, the 40's - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290203

I have a pair of r15's on my desk at work. Granted, they don't see much volume since its at work, but they're great for nearfield listening. I have a pair of the Monitor 40's in my kitchen and they flat-out rock while I'm doing the dishes or cooking

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

my Z-5500's are awesome, def. up there with higher sound quality

Comment

I ended up getting the Bose Companion 5's for $599. They look fantastic with my iMac! I didn't realise it was USB until I got home... oh well, looks like I can't use my X-Fi if I had to :-/

Sound quality is beautiful but lacking of bass compared to the X-530's it replaced... but it doesn't hiss at 80-90% volume and the treble is just so perfect I could cry.
                          Last edited by stevo1210; 02-09-2012, 11:15 PM.
                          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                            I ended up getting the Bose Companion 5's for $599. They look fantastic with my iMac! I didn't realise it was USB until I got home... oh well, looks like I can't use my X-Fi if I had to :-/

Sound quality is beautiful but lacking of bass compared to the X-530's it replaced... but it doesn't hiss at 80-90% volume and the treble is just so perfect I could cry.
                            Congratulations on the awesome sound!

Comment

Hey guys, I need another 2.1 set for the bedroom! Obviously not going to spend $599 again, but sub par $100 this time? Logitech has a Z series out... apparently the best in the budget range? and what the hell does THX mean? I see them on the Z-series boxes at work.

Comment

knock, knock... thread revival time. I am still in the market for bedroom speakers. I currently have some Creative SBS 370 2.1's paired up to my ALU iMac, I've been looking at some sub $100 speakers this time and I have two which spring to mind...

Logitech Z523 2.1 ($65 new)
                                Logitech Z-4 2.1 ($60 new)
                                JBL Creature II 2.1 ($45 refurbished)

The JBL creatures look really hot with my iMac (no sexual pun intended ) and sound seems to be pretty good. Logitech Z523 has roughly the same sound quality and look contemporary which is okay by me. Z-4's I haven't touched yet.

Hard decision guys... help?

Comment

shit for $599, I would of gotten a fair yamaha amp and some jbls'

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post

Jebus! I didn't pay that much for my last 3 computers.
                                    'course you're a Mac user, that 'splains a lot.

The Dell mouse pad is a nice touch.
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                      shit for $599, I would of gotten a fair yamaha amp and some jbls'
                                      Definitely true. I got a set of very high end Tannoy MX3's, Onkyo amp, Dynamic audio rears and a KEF subwoofer for $500 last month.

Very nice and clear speakers but I use them for the home audio instead... my desk is very limited in space unfortunately otherwise I would have got them for the PC and sold the Bose.

But on another note, it's been nearly a year and my Bose are still kicking ass, when I do bother to use the computer anyway.

I've made a decision today and I'll be picking up the JBL Creatures for $45. Heard they are good from reviews but I'll have to use them myself to see if thats true :P

Comment

Oh FML. I just bought the JBL creatures yesterday and today while I was walking from my car and into the office (yes, I work on Sundays too)... I saw a Logitech X-220 box sitting by the bin with wires hanging out of it. Upon closer inspection they were actually X-220's and in pristine condition. Hurled it into the boot of my car thinking these were probably broken. 8 hours later I get home and plug them in, and experience sound quality better than the JBL's I bought yesterday :-/

RAGE. QUIT. If only I waited one more day then I wouldn't have wasted $45 by picking up these freebies

Comment

Working...
                                        X