Old Dell gets smoking hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Dell gets smoking hot

I have an older Dell Optiplex GX 150 that I referbed off the junk pile. Its a 1Ghz PIII, 512 megs RAM, 40 Gig HD, with two DVD burners installed. Kc8adu recapped the PSU for it. As I have no A/C in my computer room right now it got very warm in there yesterday. I was doing a little DVD copying for my private collection when this Junker started acting up. On the fifth DVD copy it started giving me bogus errors on the burn. I'm thinking its heat related because the metal PC case as well as the Burner trays were very very warm to the touch. There is a place in the case for a large fan. I guess I need one there. Now should I run the fan off a tap on the mobo or directly from the PSU? Will it make any difference in the stabillity of the PC running the new fan off the Mobo?
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Old Dell gets smoking hot

if there is a place on the mobo for a case fan use it.
    the temp control if any will speed it up when needed.
    i have a pioneer dvd recorder in this box that runs so hot while recording the disc comes out quite hot.
    i can see if you have inadequate airflow how this could overhear the system.

Comment

Maybe a fan was originally installed there but someone removed it before.

Comment

Almost all Dell systems skimp on a dedicated cpu fan and use a case fan with shroud to pass air through a passive cpu heatsink.

If you changed this config, then do replace the case fan.
        For the sake of quietness, Dell systems sacrifice air flow through the psu and case.
        Your 1GHz P-3 should hit high 30s to 40C.
        “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
        We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Ok I got the heat problem under control here. I cracked the case and turned it on. The PSU fan was dirty and moving about zero air. The cheap cpu fan was totally locked up! I replaced it with another even cheaper one but it works now at least. As soon as I get up to the shop I will grab a real heat sink and fan for the cpu. I will also get a large fan for the case. The case fan will be run directly off a psu plug, and I'll run the cpu fan off the mobo again. Then again I may change my mind and run it direct from the psu too.
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

Cool! (pun intended).

The only advantage to powering the fans via motherboard jumpers is possibly allow the BIOS and/or motherboard monitoring app to keep a watch of their status. But being a Dell system, you may not have any of these. Off hand, a lot of Dell PCs use Intel brand OEM motherboards, and Intel may have a utility available for download.
            Otherwise, Speedfan can be tried, I think there's an option for Dell systems.
            “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
            We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Not sure if it would apply for this system, but last time I unplugged the case fan on an Optiplex GXa, it wouldn't allow the system to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
                Not sure if it would apply for this system, but last time I unplugged the case fan on an Optiplex GXa, it wouldn't allow the system to boot.
                I had this problem as well, but considering his fan was locked up solid, I don't think it's an issue on his model.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Saw a few of those systems at the local University auction, $60 a piece... was tempted to grab a couple for the kids.
                  Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I found the cause Mates! At least I think I did. Its the good old Dell PSU thats running smoking hot and heating up the whole unit. I pulled it and put another one in it. I'll let her run a few hours and see if it over heats again. I also added a fan to the case. Here is where I need some feedback from the Savvy PC people reading this. With this PC the CPU fan draws in air from the back of the case. The PSU fan blows out of the rear of the case. The fan I added blows out of the rear too. Should I switch things around somewhat? I was thinking of making the fan I added blow cool air into the case. It moves a great deal of air. I was going to turn the CPU fan around so it picks up this cool air and blows it over the CPU and out the rear of the case, and just leave the CPU fan blowing out the rear as it does now. What do you think? Darn its hot here today. Who wants to meet me at The Gateway Tavern for an Ice Cold Bud?
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Good Deal! Its hot as the hinges of hell in this room and the PC been on for over an hour. The case is as cool as when I turned it on. None of the exhausted air is the least bit warm. I'm still thinking about changing the fans around as listed above in the hopes of making it all the more cooler. As for the Dell PSU, I think I'll see if the guts from the cool running one will fit in the Dell PSU Sheet metal case because it fits this PC better. I will at least sodder the long leeds from the Dell PSU into this other PSU.
                      Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

The more interesting thing is why the heck is the original psu running so damn hot.
                        Either it's defective, or overworked. Are the power ratings the same?

If your fan can pump in a lot of cool air flow, it'll work better for your personal lifestyle.
                        If only you can monitor the interior case temp and cpu temp. then you'll know which orientation is more desirable.

Comment

Good point WNG.
                          This PSU was DOA when I bought this thing. Kc8adu recapped it, and got it going. Maybe some other part is failing in it now. Maybe its a bad design and runs hot. I just don't know. Its only a 200 watt unit. The replacement is an old 350 watt unit. Its been on all day and its still cool. I have two DVD burners, and a floopy drive installed. There is also a 40 gig ATA 133 hard drive that I bought new for this thing. I forget what brand it is. The only cards installed are a PCtel soft modem, and my ATI All In Wonder video card.
                          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                          X