Feit electric LED lamp autopsy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feit electric LED lamp autopsy.

Hello, i have a dead feit LED lamp and looking at it, it looks like the LEDs had failed which is not that much of a surprise since the lamps were 2 dollars a piece.

But it's the driver board that surprise me because i was expecting 0ne of three things either...
    One: The manufacturer cheaping out on some parts.
    Two: The output cap being something cheap [like samwha]
    Three: The driver board having completely blown to bits.

None of that seems to be the case as the board has a fuse to prevent it from blowing up.

2 Of the capacitors are X2 capacitors which i'm pretty sure makes them safety capacitors.

The output capacitor is a 18uf 250v capacitor and it's a rubycon capacitor

The rubycon cap is part of the LEX series of capacitors.

The driver chip is an AP1910 'Universal High Brightness LED Driver Controller'

You can look at some pictures that i took of the driver board.
    Attached Files
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Re: Feit electric LED lamp autopsy.

I've got a mix of Feit Electric (dimmable 60W and non-dimmable 40W) plus some GU10 Feit Electric bulbs and I've not had any problems with them. They seem to be fairly well built. I would guess LED failure is the most likely cause of any failure.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      I've got a mix of Feit Electric (dimmable 60W and non-dimmable 40W) plus some GU10 Feit Electric bulbs and I've not had any problems with them. They seem to be fairly well built. I would guess LED failure is the most likely cause of any failure.
      The LEDs are dimmable 60W but i started using optolight LEDs and the two i have had not failed yet [one indoors one outdoors dimmable 60W] and yet they are also 2$ per lamp.

But i do have a working feit LED flood [used outdoors and a optolight flood used indoors]

I did get my feit LEDs from costco...

Comment

Thank you ruky con: from your autopsy. I've found AP1910 is good for building A poorman LED tester II, or to be drive LEDs.

The AP1910 is a high-efficiency LED driver control IC. It drives LEDs with constant current and uses
        fewer components. The AP1910 is an open loop, current mode control IC.

The AP1910 is a low-cost buck, boost or buck-boost converter controller specifically designed for driving multi LED strings or arrays. It can be operated from either universal 90~264Vac or DC voltage between 20 and 450Vdc. The AP1910 can also drive multiple strings of High-Brightness (HB) LEDs. The AP1910 could regulate constant current to ensure controlled brightness and spectrum of the LEDs. Constant current driving method can also improve LEDs lifetime. The AP1910 supports soft start function to reduce inrush current.

What's the advantage of constant off-time mode.
        PWM is the basic standard control method. Constant on-time has the advantage over PWM that switching frequency is reduced under light loads, which improves efficiency because the switching loss is lessened. Constant off-time has the advantage that it helps keep the converter in continuous conduction mode, which reduces ripple amplitude and noise.

PS: I am interested in this Feit LED lamp. What are those feit LEDs Model No.? Someone's junk is someone else treasure.......................
        Attached Files
        Last edited by capwizard; 03-15-2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

On the top of the lamp there's a line of text saying: CEOM60 [i think this number here is more likely to be the model number.]

There are other lines of text saying other stuff that i will enter below.
          280-2-16-04 [Sounds like a patent number.]
          4MH9
          E330072

I hope one of these help.

Comment

Hola............ If you're taking apart this lamp, parts worth more money!

Tear down of the "COSTCO" Feit Electric 810 Lumen 92 CRI LED bulb
            http://budgetlightforum.com/node/43375

PS: Lasts over 22 years.............
            Attached Files
            Last edited by capwizard; 03-15-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
              Hola............ If you're taking apart this lamp it worth more money!

Costco stopped selling that model a long time ago.
              Heck costco stopped selling the model that i took apart.

And i think the 22year life is BS because the LED technology they use [the phosphor based LED] has only been around for [i think] 10 years or less.
              Last edited by RukyCon; 03-15-2017, 06:51 AM.

Comment

No worry( No preocupación), We're gonna find it all over the dumpster, the landfill in the future.

The lamp has The 14 LEDs are in series. Those are 6v dual LEDs, they also be used in edge LED TV. Saved those for the future. 6v x 14 LEDs= DC 84v to drive...........
                Attached Files
                Last edited by capwizard; 03-15-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

No worry , we gonna find it all over the dumpster, the landfill in the future.

The lamp has The 14 LEDs are in series. Those are 6v dual LEDs, it also used in edge LED TV. Saved for the future. 6v x 14 LEDs= DC 84v to drive it............
                  Mine has 9 LEDs in series similar type to the LEDs in the picture.

Note: i accidentally damaged an LED opening this which i later realized was the faulty LED.

And i think this type of LED is a 5050 LED.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by RukyCon; 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                    And i think this type of LED is a 5050 LED.
                    I was wrong it's a 5630 LED.

Comment

Hola............ If you're taking apart this lamp, parts worth more money!

I bought a bunch of them and so far they are in use for over a year now, COSTCO stops selling that model, the new one has no heatsink fins and lots of return due to failure per COSTCO website.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

6v x 14 LEDs= DC 84v to drive...........:
                        5630 LEDs have a operating voltage between 2.8 to 3.4VDC. So if you run them all off 6VDC you will kill them pretty quickly.

2.8 X 14 = 39.2 or 3.4 X 14 = 47.6

Comment

Can you please test them see what operating voltage are? But over here, this Feit lamp is driven by constant current. (......Constant current driving method can also improve LEDs lifetime......)

Theoretically AP1910 can drives any number of LEDs by change MOSFET and different kind of LEDS by changing R4. We can make it to drive whole LED panel or 1000 series LEDS. I am gonna collecting them to drive my junk led panel as a LED fluorescent light tube with Dimming function. Why? because Ap1910 wholesale only no retail.

AP1910 is made by Anwell Semiconductor Corp.(Taiwan)

http://www.ansc.com.tw/admin/product...ct.php?upid=24
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by capwizard; 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

For some reason the LEDs would not turn on no matter how many volts i put through them but i did have a other LED lamp that had the same type of LED and i did get them to light up at 3 volts.

Comment

Compa...... Thank you very much.....It is a 3v LED....my bad....I like you named the Thread : Feit electric LED lamp autopsy.......

Comment

Compa...... Thank you very much.....It is a 3v LED....my bad....I like you named the Thread : Feit electric LED lamp autopsy.......
                                I don't get why you are highlighting autopsy.

Comment

Autopsy means thorough examination the cause of a dead lamp, deep dive into it, An in-depth or comprehensive review of a topic.
                                  Last edited by capwizard; 03-15-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                    I don't get why you are highlighting autopsy.
                                    Some of his grammar makes me think ESL..... Autopsy is correct.
                                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I want to see how the driver board works...

Comment

One thing need to be checked is to find out how much current they are forcing through the LEDs, and how well the heat management is being done.
                                        The failure in most LED backlights in TVs is due to driving the LED at its maximum rating with bad heat management, that is why we always suggest people to turn down the backlights as low as they can but still get good images on the screen.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X