This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello. I enjoy fixing things. All things! I am a programmer by trade, but do my own electrical, plumbing, construction, car repair, race car building, CNG conversions, and general tinkering. Funny, the first post in this forum wasn't sure this would take off... (doh!! 638 pages of new people later).

I stumbled across this working on my Plasma TV that is starting to solarize on initial startup occasionally. hope I can find a fix. Still using a free-2-me 46" LCD that just needed a $90 board. I'll bet if I had this resource, I could have fixed that board too!

Comment

Hi every I'm new to the forum any advice would be appreciated my brother has a Samsung 42" Samsung plasma that is totally dead iv been told that it's prober boy the power board that's faulty
      The board is BN44-00194A
      I have searched the Internet for a second hand board but can only find one on the bay at £80 and he doesn't want to spend that amount just in case that's not the problem doses any one know where I could get this board tested and repaired or where I could get a second hand board

Comment

Hey Y'all! I'm new here. Looking for good technical experience with electronics and I came across this forum. Hopefully I'll learn a lot and maybe be able to help others at some point!

Comment

Hi,
          I am me, a Dutch guy, at 64 yrs old. Except for 1.1 full-time job as a fraud analyst, I dabble in electronics - tube radio's - and a.o. repair older broken laptops (the € 15 / 20 dual core ones) , esp the bad caps or loose videochip types.
          After I have had my fun getting it working I usually give the things away to charity cases as I have stuff enough already (or so my wife thinks, but I must agree ...)

Comment

Hi all, Like many others here, I have been in the electronics game for a very long time... since 1977 professionally and as a hobbyist for a few years before that! After some training as STC/ITT as was (I had a 27" Digivision, anyone remember them? A big old CRT set with conversion of the video/audio signals to digital format and early DSP), I spent a couple of years in a little Radio & TV service shop then 19 years at Maplin doing everything from service of returned goods thru design of 6502 and Z80 based processor projects to product management. After a good few years in the desolate wilderness that is corporate service management for Philips in Croydon and Guildford, I have finally returned to a more hands on role and run my own little company selling (mostly high voltage) parts for Valve Amplifiers and guitars and repairing a few guitar amps. TTL logic at 5V was safe to work with but you can't beat a glowing set of EL34 valves!

Comment

Hi I'm Rob from Holland. Very interested in older av equipment, mainly from the 60's and 70's. Quite some experience in repairing all kinds of electronics and also collector of small CRT tv's. Now owner of a B&W Zeppelin Air which started to completely ignore the remote. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad cap so that's why I ended up here, searching for some pics showing how to open the d$%#ed thing :-)

Comment

Hi everyone I have a 14 year old Panasonic plasma TH-42PX25 my screen has gone black when I turn it on the red light comes on but takes 15 seconds then I hear it power on but still nothing I can't get the menu screen to come on or anything else please is there anyone that can give me a quick diagnosis I'm not sure cause it really heavy to take it to a repair person or take it to recycle don't want to get rid of it if I don't have to thank you any one???? Dayton

Comment

Hi there! I'm a new entry in this nice forum that i often found myself reading.
                  Unfortunately i live ....and work as IT here in Italy,so often i spend my time reading forums and searching the web in english...happy to be member here ,and hope to be useful..

Comment

Greets to the owner and community.
                    Im much obliged to join. Im from Denmark and crazy with tech and electronics.

im 35, married, 1 child. Education in electronics as a technician and working with avionics on a daily basis.

Interest: Currently trying to fix an Arcam cd72t, turning a ps1 into a hifi cd player. Building mono amps. Modding my a1200, trying a ps2 with an external dac.

Seen alot of bulging caps. Unfortunatly no pic :-( as of yet, but to come :-)

Comment

Hi Gerry Fowler here.I use to fix old style tv's and vcr 1000s of them.I repaired a few lcd/led etc and decided to keep my troubleshooting pencil sharp.I normally a fire technician and cctv installer.

Comment

Hi Everyone
                        I've been doing repairs for many years. TV,Audio and all the way back to VCR's and tube TV's.Guess I've just dated myself....lol. Just love it and can't stop. I'm looking forward to being a part of your forum!!

Comment

Hello,
                          I am 35 and I work at computer repair store

Comment

I am a retired electrician. My niece brought me their TV with high hopes. I found a couple of bad capacitors and am now looking at the eeprom. I appreciate the posts of those who have go before me! Thank You

Comment

hi everyone-thanks for the invite

Comment

Hello everyone. Working on salvaging a RCA L40FHD41YX9 & a Sharp LC-42SB45U that have cap issues on the power supply board. I'm sure I'll be hitting the brain trust up for tips & pointers as I'm a super noob at this.

Comment

hey everyone, glad i found this community. Hopefully it will help me and eventually i can help in return. I dont have a lot of electronics experience, but i am very mechanically inclined. i'll need help along the way but once i see and grasp concepts things always clear up.

Comment

my name is Greg and I'm looking forward to fixing some of the electronics around the house as well as friends electronics. I use to do board level repairs on mainframes and CRTs using standard parts but looking up these new parts are a whole new world. I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Comment

Hello, my name is Yosmany. I'm 27 years old and live in Havana, Cuba. I graduated as an engineer in telecommunications and electronics in 2012. Currently I work as a research engineer but also I like the repair side a lot. Searching the net I found this forum, full of useful repair information and decided to register.

My areas of interest are in almost any topic related to electronics either design as repair. Currently I'm learning how to repair desktop/laptop pc motherboards and also I have tried the repair of some computer power supplies. Another field I'm very interested is the mechatronics/robotics. In a future maybe I can complete a CNC for PCB fabrication project, but this is a little far from this point.

I haven't too much experience in electronics but I like to help others if they need some help and I can give it. Well I guess this is almost sufficient information for a startup. Thanks for the wellcome and see you soon in the forums.

Yosmany325.

Comment

Hi folks - seems I am the newest member! At least for a little while anyway.

I live in New Zealand, originally from Scotland. Have worked in and around electronincs and IT all my career - made my first IT related pay cheque with Commodore PET computers in 1978 I think it was... too long ago.

Have always enjoyed low-level hardware fixes, and I love the satisfaction of spending some time and a few cents to stop an expensive piece of equipment going to the dump.

Spent some time playing about with amateur radio also, and eventually figured out I enjoyed building and fixing equipment more than operating it.

I worked as a field engineer back in the days when computers got fixed on-site and learned a lot during those years. Most of the systems I worked on, spare boards were unobtainable or hideously expensive so there was no real alternative but to get the multimeter out and switch the soldering iron on.

Most of my work years have been spent in less hardware oriented roles, like project management, service delivery and sales. But still, I am continually drawn back to circuit diagrams, the smell of hot solder and the challenge of seeing a board that isn't working like it should, then figuring back why it is like that.

The guy I first worked with gave me the best troubleshooting advice I ever got, and I think its still relevant today. I was all for jumping straight in and replacing CPUs and big chips (cos that's fun!) but he told me most of the faults I would find would be simple, maybe dry solder joints, unseated connectors or blown passive components. He said I should check power rails carefully before I did anything and that would diagnose half the faults I would see. And I think he was right - certainly if you look at most of the posts on laptop repair forums these three things would be the source of many problems.

My current interest is in buying up dead laptops, especially Macs, and trying to bring back to life.

Comment

Hello I'm gerry fowler from labrador canada.I am tech on air base.I repair all things that i can.I fix laptops,cameras, flat screens, etc

Comment

Working...
                                          X