Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Laptops, Portable, and Mobile Devices
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
piernov

City & State: Valbonne, 06
My Country: France
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Copy/paste the whole SMART report. Dunno how you get that on Windows, but on Linux you get the full report with `smartctl -a /dev/sda`. Gives you all the drive info (model, capacity, firmware, etc…), all the SMART values, the SMART error log, and the previous tests ran on the drive. Easy to spot if something is wrong with all that.
Also good to run a hard drive speed test on the whole drive to know if the drive has any issue reading some regions. (I think HD Tune is good for that)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #22
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
Default Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruky con View Post
I only use under 1/3 of the 1TB.
Then you can shrink the partition and thus have lower random seek latency, in ms.

Every spinner hard drive pro shall know that random-seeking the whole shebang of a 7K'er or similar of today, would usually be at best, 12 ms, maybe down to 11 ms, if very lucky!

That's why spinner hard drive pros who RAID-0, are known to use tiny partitions. Especially for the OS and the most frequently used game, if all the game data can fit along with the OS.

Ryzen 7 "Matisse" 3700X

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM

MSI Gaming X Radeon RX5600XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-06-2019 at 09:05 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:20 PM   #23
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon

City & State: Peoples Republic of California
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC 59.9Hz
Default Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (5 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

So i know it's been about a year since i last posted in this thread, mostly because i had convinced myself that it was not about to fail and that i was a for thinking it would (among other things).

However, a few things happened recently that had led me back to here. I'll spare the details as i imagine i'm likely overthinking things again (something i'm very good at) so if i'm wrong, i won't waste everyone's time.

I hope this is all people need to tell me that i'm wrong (which i probably am).
Attached Images
File Type: png .......PNG (64.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #24
ktmmotocross
Boardkiller

City & State: slovakia
My Country: slovakia
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

who r using standard discs for system this time?

I throw to bin all of it. SSD are so cheap this time and it is so fast
ktmmotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #25
TechGeek
Computer Geek

City & State: Nowhereland, Texas
Line Voltage: 120/2/[email protected]
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

296 failed calibration attempts? That's a sure sign that it's not long from failing. Backup, wipe it, and use it as target practice. Or run it into the ground.

For computer parts, go to Newegg
OR
Amazon.

For electrical stuff(pushbuttons, capacitors, etc), use Digikey
OR
Mouser.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Windows 10? Only if you like forced, buggy updates and 24/7 telemetry.

Samsung = Seagate = Seatrash = Trashgate
Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't use Seagate drives. If you have any in service right now, make plans to replace them ASAP.

SMR = Slow Magnetic Recording
Avoid SMR, buy CMR drives instead. SMR is easily a 15+ year step BACKWARDS in HDD speed.

TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #26
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGeek View Post
296 failed calibration attempts? That's a sure sign that it's not long from failing. Backup, wipe it, and use it as target practice. Or run it into the ground.
I'm surprised i did not notice that (though i probably shouldn't be), as i was researching every parameter that seemed "off" to see if i was overthinking things again (maybe i was too focused on the Raw Read Error Rate, which i heard was also a sign of near failure).

Anyway, i ordered a new SSD yesterday 'just in case', but it looks like i might be needing it sooner than later.
RukyCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #27
eccerr0r
Solder Sloth

City & State: CO
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Dang I'm still using a hard drive that has lots of sector reallocates, and still using it.

Give your old HDD to me, I'll happily use it!
eccerr0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje

Seagates usually display raw values for the "Raw Read Error Rate" attribute! Even brand new Seagate HDDs that aren't bad!
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #29
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
"ST"-> Probably a Seagate with the Samsung name slapped on it! And Seagate 2.5-inch HDDs, apparently have major issues! With extreme slowness probably being common.

Just like Maxtor earlier, where their name was slapped on Seagate HDDs, probably at or roughly 5 years before Samsung had the same kind of fate!
WD suffers from this also. I have three failed 2.5" WD drives with the same issue. One is a 320GB Black, the other two are both Blue, one 500GB and one 640GB.
Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
16GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
Delux MG760 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:33 AM   #30
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon

So now i have my new SSD on hand, ready to install, but the SeaSung (or SamGate?) HDD is playing good drive again, however i'm going to replace it anyway as next time it pulls something stupid off, it might be fatal, and my PC has been acting slow lately after the initial freak out.

But instead of killing it, i may just turn it into a backup drive and let it live out the rest of its days as one until it dies, then replace it with something better.

I did a drive test with Seatools (Seagate's proprietary drive testing software) and it tells me the HDD is OK, but i still don't know if i fully trust it, thought i'd point that out.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #31
elrefaey_mahmoud

City & State: cairo
My Country: egypt

SSD disks are now more useful than HDD
elrefaey_mahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #32
TechGeek
Computer Geek

Running slow? Yep, it's on it's way out. It's likely accumulating bad sectors and massive amounts of read errors. It's already got a high number of write errors. Retire the drive from service permanently and do not trust it with important data.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #33
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon

Default Out of Service 5 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024

So i was logging some S.M.A.R.T attributes to see if i could spot any immediate degradation, however, some logs got corrupted when my PC randomly crashed for no real reason.

Not that those matter anymore because...

The hard drive has been taken out of service, and it will most likely not be going back into service anytime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201202_145150[1].jpg (531.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #34
TechGeek
Computer Geek

That is 115% a Seagate drive. It's not even a half-decent drive. It's an infamously bad Momentus series drive. Had one of those catastrophically fail before the 2 year mark.

Know why it's called Momentus? Because it only lasts a moment!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #35
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon

The fact that it has the Seagate name listed a couple of times seems like a dead giveaway to who made it.

I guess my drive really wanted to keep me on my toes for a nasty "surprise" given how long it lasted. But it took too long and now it won't be able to pull off anything stupid as it has been taken out of service.

But now i wonder if i should even use it as a backup drive, given how clumsy it was with my data (like files getting corrupted or lost randomly), my guess would likely be a big NO.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #36
TechGeek
Computer Geek

Don't use it with anything important for the rest of it's life. My personal policy with failing HDDs is that once they start accumulating read and write errors, it's queued for immediate replacement, the system or drive in question is immediately backed up and the failing drive is wiped and permanently retired from service. As someone who's lost data twice to drive failure, I've come to recognize the signs of a drive in trouble. So the moment a drive starts accumulating R/W errors, condemn it and replace it.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #37
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGeek View Post
Don't use it with anything important for the rest of it's life. My personal policy with failing HDDs is that once they start accumulating read and write errors, it's queued for immediate replacement, the system or drive in question is immediately backed up and the failing drive is wiped and permanently retired from service. As someone who's lost data twice to drive failure, I've come to recognize the signs of a drive in trouble. So the moment a drive starts accumulating R/W errors, condemn it and replace it.
If you're waiting until the drive starts accumulating errors before backing it up, you're doing it wrong.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #38
eccerr0r
Solder Sloth

City & State: CO
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

I use until they die... of course backups are paramount and only error read rate determines replacement...

That is, only out of warranty drives. If under warranty, then they get replaced right away...
eccerr0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #39
TechGeek
Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
If you're waiting until the drive starts accumulating errors before backing it up, you're doing it wrong.

I back 'em up regardless of failure status. Usually once a week with full encrypted disk images, which protects against total disk failure, catastrophic FS or LUKS container damage, or total loss of the contents of the disk. Most of the machines that I get in for service that leave with new HDDs were systems with drives that were accumulating bad sectors and massive amounts of I/O errors.