Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recapped PowerMac 8100 PSU and now unstable

Originally posted by stj View Post
    not sure about that 2.2ohm one - it sounds high but i'd needto check a good one to compare
    I would second that
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

So I pulled that cap and some of the blue ones and the other larger gray box one as well. My ESR meter couldn't read them because they are just too low capacitance (0.1µf, etc), but my DMM at least verified their capacitance to be good. As for the high ESR reading, that was in-circuit and it was misreading as the capacitance reading was off as well.

Should I just shotgun replace some of these? I'll keep pulling the filter caps up to and including those around the massive ones.

Comment

no, check the 2 big filter electrolytics next.
        i know you replaced them - but i dont know what with

Comment

I’ll do that. One thing also to remember is this problem existed prior to my changing out the caps. The problem existed 20 years ago when I acquired the machine, I just never got around to it till now!

Comment

Sounds like maybe the PSU temp is too high. (or a thermal sensor problem)
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Re CX1, measuring its capacitance in circuit will include any other X caps in parallel with it. So, for example, if there's a .47uF that is also across the AC line your .1uF cap will measure ~.57uF.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

caps across the line usually have a parallel discharge resistor too.
                that will make it read higher.

Comment

I took that box cap out and it tested fine. Now, I have removed the blue disc caps and tested them out of circuit with the DMM, and they all test within tolerance for their specified capacitance. They are all far too small to test ESR. I tested the large filter caps, both published at 680µf, both with 0.17 ohm ESR, one 601µf, the other 592µf, so all around good. I also took out and tested the thermistor within the circuit...It appears to be rated for 7 ohm (it is 15SP M007), and tests at 11 ohm.

I can test more ceramics as I go, but I m running out of ones to test at this point.

Comment

Working...
                  X