Radeon vega 64 board repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon vega 64 board repair

Board repair is all very new to me, so be easy on me please.
    I've been tinkering around with fixing consoles and decided I would try my hand in graphics card repairs since I have a strong interest in them.
    Here's my problem.
    I got this sapphire nitro vega 64 card and it has many shorts across the board.
    All 4 fuses after the pcie power supply connectors were blown and inductors after we're shorted to ground.
    I managed to eliminate that short by removing a few mosfets.
    All inductors at the mosfets are still reading as a short, except the memory, which is reading around 41 ohms.
    I tried removing the rest of the mosfets hoping to eliminate any short on that power rail.
    My problem is, I still have a short reading on the 1R0 inductor and the 2r2 inductor.
    I have tried applying voltage to the card and can not find any "hotspots".
    I am currently at a loss on where to look for this short.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Radeon vega 64 board repair

Them inductors have very low to little resistance to ground, do not use diode/beep mode on a GPU. I'm not 100% sure but I think 41 ohms on memory is ok too.

Test the MOSFETs you have removed to find out what one has shorted then put the others back, replace the fuses and see if it powers on

Comment

One of the most common mistakes newbies make is that the confuse the normal low resistance of a GPU with a short circuit

Here's a video I made that will show you what resistances to expect - bear in mind this turned out to be a working card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3E4oR_o_Q&t=650s

This is a GTX 280 but the same will apply to your Vega 64, though I expect a good card of that type to have lower resistances than the GTX280 -m aybe 0.3 ohms on a good GPU (though I've never had a newer card to work on)

Having said that if all the fuses had blown in the EATX_12V power supply then you did have a short circuit somewhere (or at least an excessive current).

You say you eliminated the 12V short by removing some MosFETS? Which ones were short, the ones between the inductors and 12V?. If they were short, these are the high side MosFETs and it would seem very likely the GPU did not survive that. I mention this in the video I linked.

A short GPU will normally read short. Not 0.2-0.6 ohms

Here's another video I made on short circuit finding on a GPU - this actually is a real short. Watch it through, I'm sure it is worth your time, I try all the well known methods (including the hotspot method), but eventually find a method that does locate the short without special equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGM-Zmrr6tc

Hope that helps

Rich
      Last edited by dicky96; 04-14-2021, 02:31 AM.
      Follow me on YouTube
      ------------------
      Learn Electronics Repair
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Hi, wanna ask if the gpu can detect and auto shutdown after few mins due to too hot, is possible the gpu faulty?

Comment

Working...
        X