X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all.

Looking to fix one of my monitors and was pointed to these forums by a friend.

Comment

Hi there,

while I'm usually more focussed on repair and restoring of old radio-devices I stumbled over this forum because of my defective power supply (for ASUS1005HA ...).
      I hope to find good contacts here and wish all of us a lot of fun and success!
      Kind regards from the Black Forest

HolgerHa

Comment

A quick hello, and a thank you to Topcat for starting this forum - which I found after a 24" LCD TV (which I was using as an external monitor for my laptop) went dead days after its warranty expired...I had no easy way to get it to a service center during office hours, and faced the prospect of just tossing it buying a new one...

Anyway, needless to say, google brought me here, I found someone else had had the same fault in the same power supply board, and my screen was alive again in 24 hours...

I am a software engineer, not a hardware professional. I frequently work with embedded systems and driver code, so have dabbled a bit with digital electronics, but I know very little about power supplies. So it was particularly satisfying to get this TV going again and learn a bit in the process. Saving some time and money was an added bonus.

So that you again for a great site!

Comment

Hello folks!

I have recently started to repair/rescue (from thrift stores) LCD/LED and Plasma displays. Mostly doing cap jobs and simple board swaps so far.

I am learning and wanting to dive deeper into the tech tunnel!

What brought me here was a Toshiba 37HL17 with a possible Seine problem! (post on this later!)

Thanks for having me!

-jeremy

Comment

Hi all,

I have been in the electro-mechanical/IT service game for around 17 years. I'm not a electronics 'tech', though I have managed to repair my fair share of devices over the years, from caps on mainboards, Digital SLRs, inkjet printers, laser printers etc.

I was recently introduced to the Arduino and the massive community that surrounds it and have been enjoying tinkering with that, but I still get a kick from breathing life into some dead or dying gear in a ever increasing throw-away society.

It is amazing the amount of information on the internet that helps me save items from an early, unnecessary grave. Tip of the hat to folk like Topcat who create resources like this to share information freely.

I found this forum while Googling for hints on repairing a big ol' LG Plasma TV I acquired after it developed a habit of powering itself off. I've taken the step of registering on these forums, and making this post to identify that I am a human (mostly) and not a bot.

Hopefully in the near future I'll gain assistance/find the information to help me fix this TV. If I can achieve this maybe my wife will be more understanding when I bring the next bit of "junk" home.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Hello guys! Came across this forum when looking through google for tips on how I might repair a TV. One particular thread of interest to me and thought I would register to try and get a bit more info.

I am from Lurgan in Orchard County of Armagh in Sunny N. Ireland. I have little electronic experience but keen to learn! :o). I have repaired a few TV's and the like in the past quite successfully.

thanks!

Stephen.

Comment

Hey everyone,

I'm here to see about how to repair a TV that has no power for a friend and when i searched Google this page stuck out so I figured I would try it out and see if i can get the help I need.

Comment

Thanks, I'm Mike, an electrician from Indianapolis.

Comment

Hi Everybody...
                    I am Peter A Civil Engineer by trade, But I love building and fixing everything, I will always have a go at fixing something before it goes in the bin!! - But if its ban jacked I will strip "IT" down and keep some parts -- "well you never know when this might come in handy”!!
                    Stumbled across this forum while searching on the Web for a repair to a WXGA CCFL backlight - part of another Project I cant leave alone :P.
                    Anyway, hope to be talking to some of you Guys later.
                    Thanks to Topcoat for starting this Forum. And considering it was started in 2003 AND has 8 new members this Month -- .that says a Lot.

Comment

Hello all, found this site while searching for the cause of my big screen quitting on me. Outdoorsman from western NY hoping to pick a brain or 2 on a possible fix thanks

Comment

Hi to ya all!!!
                        Greetings from Italy!
                        Have been lurking here since a while and now it was time to register.

Comment

Hello All,

I've been trolling for a few weeks now while contemplating the repair of my television. Well as luck would have it, I've run into some more issues after what I thought would be simple.

First off, I'm a novice with a technical background. I was in the auto repair business for 10years and have been pretty successful in repairing almost anything.

I'll start a thread and see what happens. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment

Hello, I ran into this forum recently looking around for possibilities of fixing a little flea market gem I got my hands on. I've been reading around a lot on here and this place is a plethora of knowledge concerning anything capacitors. I've done quite a bit of recapping myself mostly unguided in my endeavors, so this site seems like quite a bit of help.

I've always been fascinated with anything electronic and I always feel great when I'm able to make a small tweak and save something nice from the trash can. I like to believe I have some darn good soldering skills. I picked up my first iron at 12 when I ran my RC car into a puddle, a capacitor was the culprit and yes it worked! Since then I've done everything from simple retouches all the way to BGA reworks, I spent a lot of time reballing Xboxes. I currently do phone repairs at a small independent cell phone dealer. I find myself doing a TON of charging port replacements and it's my favorite part of the job. I've been repairing electronics for 13 years, and I'm 23 now!

Comment

hello all

i'm here to read and learn knowledge is power

Comment

Hello!

I discovered this forum recently, it's great!

Comment

Hello All,

I found this site while searching for a solution to a problem of a 4 year old Lg TV. Having the privilege of living the fifties and starting my teen years in 1962, I learned to rely on developing my own skills to fix my precious possessions, which brings me to you folks.

Now retired with time on my hands, I can again realize the satisfaction of maintaining my “Stuff”. ;-)

Thanks for letting me participate.

Al Nowak

Comment

been reading this site for a while. now finally decide to ask a question.

Comment

Hi

Just joined the forum, i have problem with my dell 670 precision supply so was searching for solution and found this forum.

thanks
                                      tal

Comment

My VW246H appears to be on the way out, so I'm registering to see if I can find a good solution.

Comment

Hi to all.
                                          I have registered to avail myself of some very informative pics and advice.
                                          I am a very practical person and don't believe in throwing anything away.
                                          My background is not in electronics but Military Engineering and Military Helicopter Piloting.
                                          I have a very broad experience level and have been a very keen DIYer for 35yrs or more.
                                          All trades covered and I do enjoy vehicle mechanics.
                                          Electronics are a bit "Wiggly Amps" but as things tend to be modular these days I enjoy fixing things but I'm only at the board change level at the moment.
                                          Very glad to find this site and look forward to any help that may be offered.
                                          Keep it going.
                                          Don't ever give up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X