This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi there! I like to try to repair electrical items, especially laptops and macbooks, hopefully with this forum I might be more successful now

Comment

Hey guys and gals,

I've been into electronics since my childhood when I started to overclock, I still remember my first Celeron 300A, trying to OC it to 500MHZ with all kinds of home made water blocks, jumpers on the processor etc. In the recent years I renewed my old love and started making pcbs for all sorts of arduino projects and I got fully hooked!
      Great forum with lots of useful info!

May the electrons be with you!

Matej

Comment

Hello everyone.
        I'm a novice to motherboard repairs.
        I've heard about this forum and I hope I'll learn many useful things here.

Comment

Hi everyone! New here from new Mexico.

Although I am a novice, I enjoy fixing electronics in my spare time. Hopefully with knowledge from this forum, I will be even more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
            As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
            So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
            where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
            I'm just an old guy that likes to tinker with stuff. Not that smart but cuorious.

Comment

I'm just an old guy that likes to tinker with stuff. Not that smart but cuorious.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to post questions and then find the reply.

Comment

greetings from nyc. i'm a prod tv audio mixer in nyc. my background is/was a component level repair guy for pro audio recording studios and an amateur radio op before that. Now I just want to fix my old Sharp LCD.

Comment

Hi

Comment

Hello All

Comment

Hello and good evening, just started tinkering with my plasma tv a few months ago!
                        And came across this great forum & lots of good information !

Comment

Hi there,
                          Pretty new to electronics repair and appreciate the available info here. Of course just as I start learning a new hobby my big screen tv went out - what timing. :/
                          So I'm here doing a lot of thread searching and testing!

Comment

/facepalm I have to introduce myself first?

Hi.

I'm an IT guy and I'm no stranger to soldering. Just wanted to get a kit together for a job, but I can't...because forum restrictions...

Motherboard is Abit KX7-333 (NOT the Raid version), AMD Athlon XP (Socket 462), DDR-400, yadda-yadda. MB still works, but leaking and bulging caps bothers me. I have hi-resolution photos with details....but again....forum restrictions...

Comment

Hello World,
                              I'm from Amsterdam -NL- radio-amateur and doing tvrepairs audiorepairs and Apple macbook repairs. Also rebuilding E-bike's. (new software with new electronics)

I hope I can be of any use and that we can learn from each other.

Semerchet

Comment

Hi all ,

John here from Wellington, New Zealand.

Got a question to ask about my TV and keen to get some feedback.

Cheers
                                J

Comment

Greetings from Canada...I came to this forum quite some time ago in search of info for a PowerMac G5 power supply issue, and found a great thread for the repair for one of these supplies quite some time ago.
                                  I have 2 of these units, one working and the other has a partially working PS 1000W that needs some TLC to function properly again.
                                  Thanks to Toasty...he gave some excellent info on exactly what to look for when trying the repair, and pictures supplied in the thread from the member asking the questions were outstanding.
                                  I attempt to repair my personal electronics simply as a hobby and for personal growth, but I have been repairing computers and cell phones for quite some time, and hope to learn a little more about component level board repairs in the future. Have to find a good microscope, as the eyes aren't quite what they used to be.
                                  Glad I found this forum, and hope I can add some assistance in the future.

Neubie2

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks for advice been reading info for a while just attempted a new NEC/Tokin capacitor all went well but now new problems so will post .
                                    Thanks in advance and great forum
                                    Cheers Mark

Comment

Hi there, My name is George and I am a "computer guy" by trade. Since TVs became more like Computers, I figured I would try my hand at fixing TV or two about 2 years ago. So far, I have gone as far as replacing power boards in my Samsung 65" led fired DLP TV (twice) Had a friend of mine solder a couple of new caps into the power board in my Lg 32" TV then reinstalled that board (not great at soldering), and now, I started tinkering with a Sharp Aquos 70" which is going to be the biggest challenge for me. I will be asking many questions about very shortly . I suffer from the never ending quest to know everything.. so this is just another step in that direction. - Thanks for having me.

Comment

Hi, my name is Dominik. I have found the side because I need support with tricky hardware problems again or look. Here with the search for DELL Password Reset I have landed.
                                        I hope your help to agree and to all furthermore a lot of success.

Comment

Hello from Romania

Comment

Working...
                                          X