Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 50" PK540 Plasma Clicking, not turning on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 50" PK540 Plasma Clicking, not turning on.

here is the pic. Thanks again for all the help Tom, I cant wait to have this thing outta the way and put back together, I also have a samsung LCD that is giving me troubles but we can get to that later.

Im really doing the best with the camera i have haha, if you would like a more zoomed in picture of something just let me know and i wil do my best. I took 5 of the power board so hopefully these will suffice.
    Attached Files

Comment

Can you double check the STBY pin voltage?

I can see two optocouplers that are facing backwards on the board. The problem is locating which one does AC detect. On my power supply they both did AC detect, one for each polarity (positive, negative) of the incoming AC. So both were disabled for the bodge.

For taking pictures try taking the board out on a sunny day (or just to your windowsil) and using the macro mode on your camera. Turn off flash.

Try and get a closer pic of this area - the black things straddling the black dotted line are optocouplers.
      Attached Files
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        One thing I forgot to ask you to check is the standby voltages - check if they are still good during clicking.
        Where are these located? Same method I used to check the AC_del voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by andocommando View Post
          Where are these located? Same method I used to check the AC_del voltage?
          Yep, but check the pins marked STBY.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

i know this is an old thread but hopefully people are still around. Andocommando did your 50pk540 plasma have a highish pitch humming when it powered on coming from the top left corner (as looking at back of tv). I have exact same problem but with humming as it powers on. What was the outcome of this thread . What could the humming be or is the hum just magnified because of the powering up problem. i am a newbie to this site and have never fixed a tv? Didnt mean to highjack thread but it seemed pointless starting a new one and asking the same questions. A little input and a lot of dumbing down would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi!
              I own a LG50PK350 plasma tv and it started to do this click thingy and won't turn on. Problem was Power Resistor on the powerboard (red circle)
              I've heard this is a very common fault in 50pk350 tv's.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the fix back. Andocommando never returned, so I have no idea what happened...

Comment

Tom66, and the rest of the badcaps crew... You guys are great! I also have a LG 50PK540, and thanks to wisdom and knowledge from the crew, My LG is now fixed. Want proof? Check out my youtube videos..part 1 & 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wF0...ature=youtu.be

hydex, Iv'e heard about that humming from someone else with that issue.. NOTE: My tv did not do a humm sound.
                  i would like to know what the verdict is on that one.
                  Last edited by Bafury; 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

It's been a while I fixed any electronic device so i'm a newbie myself too =)
                    And I have to confess I didn't fix my TV by myself. It was still under warranty and a repair man came to replace whole power supply and he told me that they have been changing a lot of those Power Resistors to these boards.
                    Sorry for missinfo =)

And there was no humming sound in my TV.

Comment

just want to add that tv is now fixed thanks to the repair kit from bafury.He was spot on with everything .You tube videos were great and very informative.
                      Thanks you saved me a lot of money .

Comment

Im buying the kit from Bafury. Life has finally slowed down a bit and i am going to get back on this and get it repaired. I will update when I repair it. Thanks guys!

Comment

Hi I have a LG50PC5D
                          The 4A Secondary side fuse was blowing, replaced 2 shorted MOSFET,s
                          Replaced some of the cap's, don't think any were gone, but changed them anyway
                          Now when plugging in the Red Light on the front comes on, PSU Clicks once and then shuts off.
                          If the YSUS board is disconnected it continually cycles, clicking
                          AC DETECT in cycles between 5V and 0V
                          STBY pin is steady 5V
                          I read a post from TOM66 about disabling the AC DETECT, the indication was that this was done by bypassing the optocouplers.
                          Can anyone please provide more information on how to do this

ThankYou
                          Peter

Comment

andyslg..you're welcome. I like to hear about happy endings..

andocommando.. I'm glad you decided to purchase one of the kits..Please make sure you test both of the resistors to see which one is open... good luck.

here is my latest video of the repair kit in action
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiDiCGVh17M

Comment

Hi guys, first post on an old thread. My model is LG 50PV450. No visual BAD CAP :-) No visual damage. The problem started slowly, would close down after X time, then opened and close after 15-10 min, after would open and close right away. TV as been off and unplug for all summer. LG offer a 250$ fix price repair??? Also, the breaker (120V 15AMP) started to pup a few time before this problem happen (current cot) and I wonder if this had effect on my problem. I' ok with a voltmeter and very good with a soldering iron as I'm in the Hobby business (well was), still doing some model airplane.

Anyway, thanks for any comments.
                              Ben

Comment

Hi, I am brand new here but came upon this site and this thread while searching for help with a 50PV450 I have. I will be very grateful for any help that can be given.

The issue I have is as follows:

I have an LG 50PV450. I recently acquired three boards for this TV. I picked up a new power supply board, and new YSUS board and a new main board (there were damaged HDMI ports in this TV, hence the new main board).

I've installed all the boards, as I'm fairly skilled with a screw driver, but now all I see are "sparkles" for a moment and then the TV goes black.

I happened upon this site through this thread.

It seemed to discuss a similar issue, though on a different TV. I was wondering how I would go about resolving the sparkle issue for this set.

I do not mean to highjack a thread, so if this would be better served in a new thread, please let me know and I will do so.

Thank you in advanced. I look forward to any response.

TennesseePaul

Comment

I seriously love this forum

I had a 50PK350N brought in, that would apparently turn on, but no picture. Sure enough, that exact 22R/5W ceramic resistor was wide open (electrically, not physically).

Not wanting to wait for a week for a spare (and uprated) one, i decided to "get creative" - i had a few 10R/10W resistors. Slapped a couple layers of Kapton tape over the "butt end" of that connector up in the corner, and squeezed those two big boys as you can see in the attached pic.

Owner forgot the remote, but we'll find out soon enough if this alone did the trick
                                  Attached Files
                                  Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Confirmed, all is well
                                    Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

I had the same problem with my LG 50PK350 and with it being over 3 yrs since I bought it thought I might as well buy a new tv but then after reading the posts on this forum I realised this was quite a common fault. I contacted LG customer services and they have picked my tv up and repaired it free of charge as it's a common fault.
                                      So don't try anything else but phone LG customer services on
                                      0844 847 5454 if your in the uk and you should find them very helpful.

Comment

I have this model tv and it doesnt power on, just clicks then red light comes on and i push it again, it clicks then the red light fades.

i have this particular tv with the psu board number
                                        EAX61392501/8

i checked the big white resistors and all 3 have the 10ohm resistance. the diode located by the resistor and voltage regulator is giving me straight continuity both ways.

am i to assume that because this diode is bad , that the voltage regulator is bad as well?
                                        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robazorn View Post
                                          I have this model tv and it doesnt power on, just clicks then red light comes on and i push it again, it clicks then the red light fades.

i have this particular tv with the psu board number
                                          EAX61392501/8

i checked the big white resistors and all 3 have the 10ohm resistance. the diode located by the resistor and voltage regulator is giving me straight continuity both ways.

am i to assume that because this diode is bad , that the voltage regulator is bad as well?
                                          thanks
                                          i did a the same test with the diode and saw "that problem" and when i took it out of circuit it tested fine, i doubt the diode is bad
                                          Last edited by ijchan223; 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X