Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR616, constantly clicking, no display, no light/led

Hi
    I have an Onkyo TX-NR616 that has is constantly clicking when I plug it into the mains
    I can hear the relay clicking but also the transformer is vibrating not sure why

I have tried with all the ribbon cables connected and with just JL901B connected but same symptoms
    I have tried with fan and no fan

I have followed this thread

repairalmostanything.com/thread/790/onkyo-relay-constantly-clicking-txnr

I have replaced the components mentioned on this thread with hope that it will turn on but with no success
    I am a novice when repairing Amplifiers but know a little about electronics but always wanting to learn more
    This is My own Amplifier and is well looked after like a baby

I had to open because I needed to check for leaking caps as I was not getting any HDMI output
    Please can someone help me fix this. I will be so grateful and will appreciate it so so much

There are allot of talented people here so I look forward in getting to know you all and

Re: Onkyo TX-NR616, constantly clicking, no display, no light/led

Hi
    Please can anyone help me

Comment

if it worked before apart from the hdmi best i can suggest is putting everything back to how it was then see if it is back to square one .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        if it worked before apart from the hdmi best i can suggest is putting everything back to how it was then see if it is back to square one .
        Thanks for the reply

I read on another forum it is due to certain components failing ..
        So I replaced those bits but no change as mentioned in the link in the link i posted

I've been reading the forums and reading allot .
        Some people have had similar issues and it has been the thermal fuse but I don't think it is this because I have few ohms across the primary side of the transformer but i am confused which wires are the thermal fuse wires but there is continuity between all the wire

The other thing I read is it could be a grounding problem.
        I Did not put the screws back that go into the hdmi board and the power supply board is held by top screw only .
        Can this be the problem .

The other thing I read is the the cable coming from the power supply board to the hdmi board is not seated properly
        I have checked and checked but makes no difference.

Will adding the screws that secure the hdmi board to the chassis and the screw that secures the hdmi board to the board on the right, not sure what board it is plus the power board screw that secure it to the chassis make a difference

Please can you help me .
        Thanks so much

Comment

try and see

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
            try and see
            Have you had similar issues in the past

Comment

I have put all the screw back for the power supply board that secures it to the chassis and I put two screws securing the hdmi board to the chassis*

I tested ground from pin 3 from jl901b to the chassis and it was a good ground. Near to the same as when I touch my meter probes together.*
              I get voltage on the cable coming from the power supply* board that connects to the hdmi board*
              Below are measurements taken from when the cable is plugged into the hdmi board*
              Pin 1 is 12v but when relay clicks it goes down*
              Pin 2 is 0v
              Pin 3 is GND*
              Pin 4 is 12 v
              Pin 5 is 0v

I read that if I put jumper wire from Pin 1 and Pin 3 on jl901b which is on the hdmi board the relay should latch but with the transformer cable removed*I tried this and got nothing*
              I tested the relay and got about 300 ohms*And the relay is clicking*
              I am really stuck and will appreciate some detailed help from this amazing community Please*

Many Thanks*

Comment

I’d start looking for anything shorted first just anything you can, relays don’t just click on and off like that unless there’s something wrong.
                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Thanks for the reply
                  Where do i start looking
                  on the power supply board or the hdmi board
                  I have not worked on such amplifiers before so any help will really be much appreciated

If there are any onkyo experts, please reply
                  Thanks so much

Comment

The relay is working
                    i have tested by jumping the wire pin 1 and pin 3
                    there is a strong latch

Comment

I have been doing more voltage measurements. The results are below

I tested q7018

pin 1 is gnd,
                      pin 2 is 4.8v
                      pin 3 is 3.3v

also tested q7019

pin 1 is gnd,
                      pin 2 is 11.89v - 11.90v
                      pin 3 is 5.6v

Nothing is getting hot and i cant see any bulging caps

Please will really appreciate all the help from this forum
                      Many Thanks in advance

Comment

After some probing and testing resistors
                        I came across F201, that shows no continuity.

I am not sure how this has blown, there are no marks or anything
                        Would this cause for it not to turn on

Please someone help
                        Thanks all in advance

Comment

That fuse is in the a/c input for D201 bridge rectifier that supplies +12volts to the hdmi board. It also supplies a voltage via D204 to the POFF2 line on P2800A which connects to Main Micom Q7009
                          Last edited by R_J; 03-23-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            That fuse is in the a/c input for D201 bridge rectifier that supplies +12volts to the hdmi board. It also supplies a voltage via D204 to the POFF2 line on P2800A which connects to Main Micom Q7009
                            Thanks for the reply
                            Can this fuse stop the unit on turning on and causing the relay to constantly click as it is

I measured and i had 12v on pin 1 and pin 4 on jl901b
                            maybe this was not enough to turn the receiver on

I will appreciate all your help please

Thanks again

Comment

Look at the schematic and you will see what it is for, This is the +12VD(ANA), +12TRG and the POFF2, it is not the same 12 volts that supplies the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                Look at the schematic and you will see what it is for, This is the +12VD(ANA), +12TRG and the POFF2, it is not the same 12 volts that supplies the relay.
                                Thanks. Yes I saw that. Was trying to post a reply but wouldn't post. Thanks. Will put a replacement fuse

Comment

First use your meter to check for continuity from the fuse to ground otherwise it might just blow again.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                    First use your meter to check for continuity from the fuse to ground otherwise it might just blow again.
                                    I checked that and Will recheck again
                                    Will report back
                                    Thanks all

Comment

Hi
                                      I have got My Onkyo Tx-NR616 to turn on but there is no HDMI OUT displaying on the TV
                                      I have gone through debug mode and the firmware check
                                      V and K shows no firmware details

I have tried doing the firmware update using the key combination and using the ethernet cable but get error
                                      "error!! 5-82"

Is there any way to force the firmware update please
                                      Or using the uart interface

I am really stuck and need some help
                                      Thanks all in advance

Comment

try using a USB stick to update as opposed to a network connection.

Comment

Working...
                                        X