Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soniq E40S12A-AU Stuck In Standby

Hello everybody,

My Soniq E40S12A-AU (Australia) won't stay on when coming out of standby.

Upon the power button being pushed to come out of standby, the red standby light starts flashing, then the Cinavision splash screen appears for a brief second before screen going black, & within another ten seconds the TV goes back into standby; with a solid red light.

I have tried flashing the original & new firmware but upon completion I get the same behaviour as above, with the addition of an audio chime I assume to be notifying me of a successful firmware update.

I have been keenly reading the other threads here about this (or similar) issue; & I subsequently measured the voltage regulators on the mainboard. I have purchased some replacements with the intention of replacing the Adjustable Voltage Regulator; BM1117.

I have read through the 'How To Test A Voltage Regulator' guide here at BadCaps, but I'm still not sure if I have a bad Regulator or not, So I was first wanting to share the following readings & hear some thoughts etc, thank you:

BM1117 Adjustable Voltage Regulator:
    Pin 1: 0.6 V
    Pin 2: 1.85 V
    Pin 3: 5.25 V

The Pin 1 reading is what I am unsure about; for this model, or any for that matter?

The 2 BM1117-33 Fixed Regulators Read:
    Pin 1: 0 V
    Pin 2: 3.3 V
    Pin 3: 5.25 V

Which I think means they are fine....?

Thank you for reading!

I could provide some photos if we need to troubleshoot further, but at this stage I thought might not be necessary; all the caps appear healthy & I can't see anything else looking amiss etc

Re: Soniq E40S12A-AU Stuck In Standby

Not sure what voltage you are suppose to be getting but the regulator looks ok. The voltage between the Adjust pin (left pin) and the center pin (Pin2, output) will always be 1.25V +/- 2% : https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/617638...ronic/BM1117/1
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-02-2021, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

So the 2nd Pin output of 1.85 V (0.6 + 1.25) is enough power?

Mmmmmmm.....

If anyone can suggest anywhere else for me to take readings that could potentially cause this problem, I will be appreciative

Comment

May be worth your while watching the following Youtube videos.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOYO32uL1A
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Thanks mate, downloading video now

Comment

The problem with the set was given in the second part of the video. Looked like a poor connection at the Tcon end from the mainboard and a blown fuse on the Tcon.

Comment

Yeah thanks, I did watch Part 2, but nothing similar corresponded with my Soniq.....

Was quite a different issue also; in terms of the symptoms etc

Comment

Can you post some good clear photo's of your boards.

Comment

Sure, let me know if you need something zoomed in or something better etc
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would check the output voltages from the power supply. I believe that the Samxon capacitors are notorious at failing. Pehaps one of the supplies is falling after switch-on.
                    Also check the supply voltage to the led board.

The flash makes it a little difficult to make out everthing on the boards
                    Last edited by dick_barton; 04-02-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Yeah thought that might be the case.....

So when you say check the supply voltage to the led board, do you mean check that yellow capacitor?

I'm not sure how to check capacitors so I will do a little research & get back to you, thank you.

PS: I was born in Llanyravon, Cwmbran. Been in Perth since 1989 though

Comment

Ebay sell cheap component tester which are pretty good.
                        This one is OK but there are cheaper ones available. They will test your diodes and capacitors.

So you left poor old wet Wales for a sunny climate.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dick_barton; 04-02-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that....

My parents did yep, I was only 8....

Comment

I have ordered the exact component tester pictured in the above attachment/post, but whilst I await delivery, I did my best with a basic Multimeter:

In an attempt to do as you suggested & check the supply voltage to the LED Board, my only idea was to test the Yellow Capacitor labelled 'NXH 35V 560uF' on the LED Board.

When Resistance Is Set 20K, the capacitor's resistance reading climbs to 1.31 but refuses to climb higher.... But when I unplug the Power Board from the LED Board & repeat this test, the capacitor's resistance reading climbs to infinity as expected.....

The resistance reading climbs to infinity for all the electrolytic capacitors on the Power Board. I am yet to investigate the various other/smaller components etc

Does this tell us anything, especially the bit about getting a different resistance reading when the Power Board is unplugged?

Thank you

Comment

Capacitors are not so easy to test especially in circuit since they have other components connected to them.
                              I would be more interested in what voltages you have on the white connectors CN1 and CN3. Where does CN2 go?

Comment

CN2 goes down to the very bottom centre & plugs into something I haven't inspected yet?

There is some sort of board running horizontally along the bottom. Took some effort to expose; please see attached photos...!

Any thoughts?
                                Attached Files

Comment

The first image is upside down sorry, the one where the board is exposed.....

Let me know if any close-ups might help, thanks....!

Comment

It looks like its the Local Dimming signal cable from led controller to Tcon
                                    In Local Dimming backlight, LEDs under the LCD panel are divided into many small zones. Using content-adaptive backlight control, the brightness of each zone is adjusted according to different display content. A local dimming backlight allows the display to have “darker blacks” and “brighter whites”.

Comment

Could a problem with the T-Con Board be causing this particular problem??

Or should I be looking elsewhere...?

Comment

You really need to take voltage readings as suggested in post #10 to see if that will give a clue to what is going on with your set.
                                        eg
                                        Connector CN1
                                        Pin 1, legend name, voltage
                                        Pin 2, legend name, voltage
                                        etc

Comment

Working...
                                        X