IP address conflicts after waking up from standby/hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP address conflicts after waking up from standby/hibernation

On rare occasions, I get an IP address conflict after waking up from standby or hibernation.
    On our network with three computers (set to DHCP), we have a printer at 192.168.1.20 (static) and an ADSL/wireless router at 192.168.1.254 and the DHCP server starts from 192.168.1.1
    It is highly unlikely that there is a conflict with the printer.

To say simply (taking note that both PCs are set to DHCP), PC "A" has an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and PC "B" is off. PC "A" hibernates and PC "B" is turned on and receives an IP address of 192.168.1.2.
    When PC "B" still has this IP address, PC "A" resumes from hibernation and tries to use IP address 192.168.1.2 , resulting in an IP address conflict.

Why can't network clients configured for DHCP renew its IP address after standby or hibernation (even though some renew the IP address when there is a conflict)?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: IP address conflicts after waking up from standby/hibernation

use fixed i.p.'s

standby will lose the dhcp table,
    suspend will make the other machine delete the dhcp entry after a timeout period.

or:
    run a nameserver and assign a fixed i.p. to each domain-name.
    then when you start the pc it will always be assigned the same i.p.

Comment

or check if your router can be set to always use the same adress for each device.
      some can, some not.
      my Thomson router does it via binding the IPs to the MACs (and can be set individually for each client).
      it's a bit less trouble than the all-static way since you don't have to configure the DNS settings client-side.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Agreed, set your router to always give the same IP address to a particular device/MAC address.

If your router doesn't support that, turn it's DHCP server off, build a Smoothwall. Enjoy.

Comment

On some home based routers, you can set the DHCP lease time to 1 hour through 1 week. If you set it for a "longer" period, this *should* force the router to keep the MAC to IP binding even if the end device is asleep or hibernating. It *should* also prevent the router from handing out that used IP address because the MAC to IP binding still exists.

Originally posted by japlytic
          On rare occasions, I get an IP address conflict after waking up from standby or hibernation.
          On our network with three computers (set to DHCP), we have a printer at 192.168.1.20 (static) and an ADSL/wireless router at 192.168.1.254 and the DHCP server starts from 192.168.1.1
          It is highly unlikely that there is a conflict with the printer.

To say simply (taking note that both PCs are set to DHCP), PC "A" has an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and PC "B" is off. PC "A" hibernates and PC "B" is turned on and receives an IP address of 192.168.1.2.
          When PC "B" still has this IP address, PC "A" resumes from hibernation and tries to use IP address 192.168.1.2 , resulting in an IP address conflict.

Why can't network clients configured for DHCP renew its IP address after standby or hibernation (even though some renew the IP address when there is a conflict)?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There is an easier way to fix this.

In most routers, you can set the IP address via MAC address of a computer. That way, on some rare chance that something else gets on your network, it won't get your ip address because the router (DHCP server) is assigning the IP's, and it knows not to give away the IP set for your computer.

Comment

Just extend lease time. That is the easiest way.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                Just extend lease time. That is the easiest way.
                aggreed.

static ips for the home computers with exception of wireless client is way to go. so much easier and after a while you begin to correspond computers to IP internally without netbios or dns so your not always second guessing or having to do that extra step.

i got a low memory and dont use page files so that extra step would irritate or possibly mess me up when im in the zone doing a project. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X