Internet is lossy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet is lossy

I'm currently having a problem with my DSL internet connection. Basically it worked fine for about 2 weeks (since I just moved in) and in the last couple of days it's been acting up like a 5 year old.
    Basically I'd be using the internet and then slowly my pages would start to have missing objects or would only load halfway and so forth... and then internet would cut out completely but my modem (D-Link DSL-G604T) still had the "internet" light lit up.
    After restarting the modem, the internet would work properly again... sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour. Pissed off, I decided to fork out some money and buy a new modem/router (D-Link DSL-2642B)... low and behold, I'm still having the same problem.
    My ISP likes to pretend that I don't exist and puts the blame on my equipment no matter how much I tell them "Hey, I bought a NEW modem, got a NEW phone cable and ALL my phones have filters!"

Anyway, do you guys think it's my ISP or my modem(s)?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Internet is lossy

Should also add that if I leave the internet idle for a while, I lose my connection
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Maybe your network card has some issues ... like missconfigured full duplex / half duplex,
      maybe your network cable has problems (sometimes due to heat/bending/cable pulling the metal contacts in the connector pop out no longer making proper contact with the wires)
      maybe you installed some faulty antivirus/internet security suite which crashes transparently to you and kills connections therefore preventing pages and content (images for example) from loading completely.

Get WinMTR and keep some traceroutes open for the websites you're sure they're working and see where the data packets get dropped - if it's not at your computer, you can forward the results to tech support to sort the issue.

Comment

I would say its 90% DSL related, have a similar issue at my work place, had repairmen there quite a few times but always show up on a sunny day when the issue isnt there. When a rainy day comes its back to shit again.

Anyways on to your problem, one thing you can try is disconnect as many phones as possible, this will boost the gain slightly of the signal to your modem, or rather wont lower it. Might also be a faulty phone that cause this.

I common cause is the "DSL filter", but since you swapped the modem i assume you also swapped the filter?

If all this checks out i would see if your modem has a console or something where you can log in and monitor line attenuation and gain values and stuff.

The stuttering in connection is probably the modem talking to the dslam and lowering the speed each time the noise is too bad. Each time you powercycle the modem it will go back up and given time slowly decrease speed again if the line is noisy.

Hope any of this helps, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Who's your ISP?
          My AT&T connection does this all the time. A brand new modem is being used, so it's not that.

Comment

Originally posted by digge
            I would say its 90% DSL related, have a similar issue at my work place, had repairmen there quite a few times but always show up on a sunny day when the issue isnt there. When a rainy day comes its back to shit again.
            You say it goes to shit, when it's rainy, that's bad wiring either on the telco end or your end.

Comment

At one time, it was our ADSL filters - a good reason to stay away from the bargain counters...
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

also check an make sure main line for phone is grounded properly! have seen that be the cause of some of the symptoms you speak of!

Comment

I would replace the wiring from the box to the jack. (The wiring that goes into your house.)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I dunno what was going through my head at the time... but I decided to buy ANOTHER modem/router combo. This time I spent nearly $100 on a D-Link DSL-2740 Wireless N router combo. It's been up and running for about 24 hours now and I'm glad to say that I have absolutely NO dropouts or problems at all with my internet now.
                    Does this mean that the D-Link I bought 2 days ago is.... faulty as well? ... buying a faulty product to replace another faulty product? :S

Comment

wouldnt be the first time to get a dud out of the box.
                      reminds me of the wrt54g v2"s i bought off a guy on cl.
                      he had 6 of them.
                      said none were stable.
                      found the factory used a 2.2 uf 450v cap on the input.
                      wonder how many made it off the line with that goof?
                      a recap and dd-wrt or tomato fixed them right up.
                      Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                      Thanks for the help guys. I dunno what was going through my head at the time... but I decided to buy ANOTHER modem/router combo. This time I spent nearly $100 on a D-Link DSL-2740 Wireless N router combo. It's been up and running for about 24 hours now and I'm glad to say that I have absolutely NO dropouts or problems at all with my internet now.
                      Does this mean that the D-Link I bought 2 days ago is.... faulty as well? ... buying a faulty product to replace another faulty product? :S

Comment

I was gonna say it sounds like the modem router is overheating. I've had this issue with a few brand new netgear routers before, where wither the wifi or Internet drops out randomly once the modem has been running for a bit. I would have tried taking the case off the old router and putting a fan next to it. Some modem/routers just aren't made for Aussie weather.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                          I'm currently having a problem with my DSL internet connection. Basically it worked fine for about 2 weeks (since I just moved in) and in the last couple of days it's been acting up like a 5 year old.
                          Basically I'd be using the internet and then slowly my pages would start to have missing objects or would only load halfway and so forth... and then internet would cut out completely but my modem (D-Link DSL-G604T) still had the "internet" light lit up.
                          After restarting the modem, the internet would work properly again... sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour. Pissed off, I decided to fork out some money and buy a new modem/router (D-Link DSL-2642B)... low and behold, I'm still having the same problem.
                          My ISP likes to pretend that I don't exist and puts the blame on my equipment no matter how much I tell them "Hey, I bought a NEW modem, got
                          a NEW phone cable and ALL my phones have filters!"

Anyway, do you guys think it's my ISP or my modem(s)?
                          For the best help with this you should provide the following:

Speeds you are paying for, Kbps UP / Kbps Down
                          What you are paying monthly
                          Your ISP provider

BIG HINT INCOMING! Never buy equipment to fix a issue with a provider!

They provide equipment (most of the time for free) Use their shit and once its working use you own equipment. When it stops working remove your equipment and put theirs back and make them fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                            For the best help with this you should provide the following:

Speeds you are paying for, Kbps UP / Kbps Down
                            What you are paying monthly
                            Your ISP provider

BIG HINT INCOMING! Never buy equipment to fix a issue with a provider!

They provide equipment (most of the time for free) Use their shit and once its working use you own equipment. When it stops working remove your equipment and put theirs back and make them fix it.
                            Well, this is what I supposedly get for my $30 a month for internet...

Download speed: Up to 20Mbps (yes, up to... i'm lucky if I get about 6!)
                            Upload speed: 1Mbps (I think?)
                            ISP: TPG Australia

Equipment wise... I get nothing. ziltch, zero... nothing. I have to provide my own ADSL equipment. Alternatively I could buy their Chinese made No-name routers for $150 which is a big rip off IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                              You say it goes to shit, when it's rainy, that's bad wiring either on the telco end or your end.
                              I know it is, and its on the telco side, they just have to not ignore it and call the problem solved all the time when it isnt.

Comment

Working...
                              X