Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 65UH5500-UA Backlight flash on first power up only

Hi Folks,
    I saw a similar post (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...5UH5500&page=3) but it didn't really state the issue, so I'm giving it another shot

Got this TV, and upon firs power up, the backlight flashes on, then off. Classic symptom of Bad backlight LED. Ordered a set and opened it up without making any measurement (cause I was just sure!!! ) and after over 90 screws, all LEDs tested out ok. Repeated the test to make sure - and no question, every single strip tested out fine (I just used a 90V supply with current limit resistor - Home made)

Buttoned it back up and started taking measurements. The LED Driver board shows DRV_ON and PWR_ON and 13.2 V pins (accessible)
    Upon first power up, the PWR_ON goes to 3.2 V, then DRV_ON goes momentarily to 3.2 V, backlight comes on, the main board has RED LED that comes on, Optical port LED comes on, then all come off (including PWR_ON and DRV_ON SIGNALS) - That's it. Second turn on attemp using power button takes PWR_ON to 3.2 V, DRV_ON goes to 57 mV then back to 0. PWR_ON goes to 0 then back to 3.2 and stays on no matter how many times I press the Power button. Backlight never comes back on again, unless I hard reset (unplug from wall then reconnect power)

The 13.2 V on the Driver board are 9.25 V, never reach 13.2 V (mislabeled?)
    Could it still be backlight like everyone seems to be leaning to?

On the Power Supply Board, there is a Fail pin.. someone said short it and power up.. I did.. and Voila.. it's up and running, beautiful backlight and picture.. What does that mean? how can I clear that "Fail" state so I can power up without this jumper?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jason123; 12-07-2019, 12:20 PM.

Re: LG 65UH5500-UA Backlight flash on first power up only

You may still have an LED or two failing at higher current. Can you measure the LED output voltages with the backlights forced on since a lower voltage on one string would indicate a short on that string. I normally turn on the TV with the panel disconnected to observe all the leds. Delayed turn on and flickering are signs of imminent failure.

Comment

Is the 80 volts also low on the power supply? the Fail signal circuit monitors both the 80v and the 13.2 volts and if they are low it activates the Fail line.
      You might also want to check the voltage on the main filter C57/8/9 If it is low it could be that the pfc circuit is not working

Comment

After looking at the boards again, it could be that the fail signal could come from the led driver board, so an error with the panel led's could trigger the power supply to shut down. maybe post the number of IC400 on the led driver board so the fail line can be traced.
        I see some people are also reporting poor connection problems either on the plug that connects to CN403 on the led driver board or poor connections between the lead wires and the strips in the panel. might be worth checking
        Last edited by R_J; 12-07-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Hi there.. Applogies for the delay in checking here.. here is an update:
          So, with the Fail line tied to COM, I took the panel apart again, and sure enough, 2 strips where off. I replaced the entire set with brand new LEDs.

Tested it a couple of time, and it's as bright as ever. Removed the Fail pin jumper to COM, the unit powers up just fine.
          I buttoned things up, put the cover back and and watched TV all night (Awesome picture) One thing I noticed is the Chime when you power up, is not smooth.. it's choppy, disconcerning, but it was working so I didn't care.

Second morning I powered it up, chime came on.. but no backlight. tried few times. upglugged from wall.. tried again few times.. then finally it started working again. No physical movement of the TV (So something loose or bad solder joint is not what seems to be the problem. ).. it worked find the rest of the evening.
          Today.. I started it.. Chime and no backlight. again.. tinkered with it.. and it's on again.

I took the cover off and replaced the Wifi module (someone seems to have suggested it in another post).. no luck. applying power and removing power seems to be what turns the backlight on. Keep in mind that even when it doesn't turn backlight on, the Chime is coming on - unlike what it did when the backlight had dead LEDs.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Comment

Maybe try a factory reset and firmware update, might not fix it but it don't cost anything.

Comment

Thanks nomoresonys.. I did firmware update and doing the factory reset now.

Comment

Still occasional no backlight... as expected
                Power supply maybe or LED Driver board.. or mainboard?

Comment

Do #3 below now that you have the backlights working.

Comment

Ok, so this TV has the LED driver board between Power and Main. Are you after the voltages coming out of the PS card or if the main is getting the power, just so I know which side to measure?

Comment

Test at CN2.

Comment

Test CN402 also.

Comment

I have worked on 6-7 of this model and each time replaced an LED strip that was bad. TV repaired, and then within days another strip failed and back to the blinking light on startup. After replacing a second strip, (with help from badcaps.net) I started to modify that LED driver board to send less current to the LED array, hoping to extend the life of the remaining backlights before they fail. Still testing at this point in the field, but none have come back.

What I'm saying in your context is that the next LED strip may be on its way out. Will follow this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
                            I have worked on 6-7 of this model and each time replaced an LED strip that was bad. TV repaired, and then within days another strip failed and back to the blinking light on startup. After replacing a second strip, (with help from badcaps.net) I started to modify that LED driver board to send less current to the LED array, hoping to extend the life of the remaining backlights before they fail. Still testing at this point in the field, but none have come back.

What I'm saying in your context is that the next LED strip may be on its way out. Will follow this thread!
                            I think this is a good idea too.

Comment

Check the note in red here: https://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-cov3369...wer-supply.htm

Comment

Also talks here of a superior led: https://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-5835-w6...-strips-24.htm
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That red note is interesting. $98 USD plus shipping and tax and the significant amount of labour to replace all the strips with upgraded ones means that lowering the current and replacing one or two strips is the only cost effective route for our purposes.

Comment

Was just looking at jjanssen7's one here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...00+current+mod
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-12-2019, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks.. ALL LED strips have been replaced with a brand new set - not used set. I used the upgraded set with adhesive tape - Identical to ShopJimmy
                                      Last edited by jason123; 12-12-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I took the measurements on CN2. The issue i see is the larger cap has 385V all the time, even when cable CN402 Is not connected... PFC circuit or what is suggested?
                                        STB is 3.4V,
                                        13.2v are 13.15 (when backlight is on), 12.6v when it doesn't turn on
                                        FAIL is 0.057
                                        80v are 77.8V
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by jason123; 12-12-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X