Hellstra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellstra

I'm getting totally sick of them. I didn't choose them, I'm forced to use them because I can't get anything else in the area. Reliability just doesn't exist with their mobile service. It's driving me mad. In fact, it's a miracle I managed to post this.

Their gateway (they force you to use theirs) is glitchy and runs very hot. The signal strength lights often stay on even when the signal drops out, while inside there's a hot-running chip with a small aluminium heatsink inside a small plastic enclosure with no fan. Whoever built the thing knows NOTHING about thermal engineering. This is why I call them Hellstra. Hellstra

Bad caps _could_ be part of the problem, but it never really worked in the first place. I'm inclined to go "to heck with the warranty", but my Mum won't let me. This is the SECOND gateway, BTW; I blew up the first one early last year out of frustration.

I got a Connectland HDD cooler for free with two 50mm slimline fans. Would you suggest using one of them to cool the thing down???

Or would you suggest installing it in a different case???

I don't really care if all I can do involves voiding the warranty. I guess they kept shrinking the heatsink until it wouldn't work, then upsized it just enough to make the thing barely work at a room temperature of 20C.

Re: Hellstra

By Hellstra you mean Telstra right? Where are you located in Australia?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
      By Hellstra you mean Telstra right?
      Yes.

Originally posted by stevo1210
      Where are you located in Australia?
      Albany, WA

EDIT: Also, I didn't opt for mobile either; again, I was forced to use it.
      Last edited by Shocker; 01-07-2012, 12:00 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Reminds me of AT&T here
        Who makes the Gateway? is it a 2Wire?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Who makes the Gateway? is it a 2Wire?
          It's not a 2Wire. All it says is "Bigpond Elite Network Gateway". It's not really Elite, as I explained above.

Comment

It looks like the problem may be caused by missing caps, rather than bad caps. The only electrolytic in the unit is a Chemi-con KY on the input. This leads to a relatively normal two-phase VRM with ferrite chokes. But I can't find the output capacitors.

Later on I might try jamming something in there and tell you how it goes. It's a miracle that the thing works at all.

Comment

AFIK Tel$tra modems are usually either 2Wire or Netcomm/Askey
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

2wire stuff is fualty.
                Had my experience with the gear telstra provided me 3 years ago.

I am happy with my service provider now, not telstra but a good isp.

Comment

In a 2Wire AC adaptor, it had Suscon low-ESR units on the secondary side - I have seen a set-top box with bad Suscon low-ESR units (even though they were not bulging) in the power supply section.
                  Also, Telstra's (or the manufacturer's) choice of default wireless security settings is quite poor - they use a 10-digit numerical WPA passphrase, and on some other equipment, a 10-digit hexadecimal number (0-9, A-F).
                  Some manufacturers use a default WPA passphrase generated from the MAC address - another poor choice of default wireless security settings.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Is it okay to send an email to them saying ???

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                      Is it okay to send an email to them saying ???
                      hahaha
                      have fun

Comment

Working...
                      X