This was scarily easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was scarily easy

I downloaded KisMac onto my MacBook Air, inserted my TP-Link WN321G USB card (based on an RT73 chipset), used my desktop PC to log into the configuration page of my 2Wire DSL Modem/router/wireless router, set it to WEP instead of WPA (Default is WEP but I prefer WPA, but I wanted to start with WEP as it's easier), and configured KisMac...

What the hell am I doing, you ask? Well, I'm practicing WEP cracking. Sure, many of you have done it, and there are tons of tuts online about doing it with BackTrack Linux, etc. But I'm doing it on a completely normal computer running a completely normal OS, and managed to do it in an extremely short period of time. No command line anything, no complicated setup, no installing aircrack-ng, kismet, etc. from the linux terminal...

And, after getting bored with waiting for packets, I installed Ookla's speedtest.net app on my android phone, and hit the Restart Test button until I got many many packets captured...

In a short amount of time, I ended up with this. And yes, Apartment9 is the name of my wireless network, and yes, that WEP key is correct (well, if you take out the colons)...

The only reason this took much longer than it was supposed to is because for some reason packet injection doesn't work properly on my computer... if it did, it would have gone a lot faster

The key to a successful intrusion into a WEP-protected wireless connection? Lots of traffic on it
    Attached Files

Re: This was scarily easy

Ahh this brings me back - used to have a lot of fun with aircrack,kismet and airsnort several years ago.

Still have some Orinocos in my drawer together with atheros baced chipset that support injection.

Built a 'home made' antenna fitted to a camera pod to pratice injection - the antenna worked fine up to 2 - 3 km distance.

You can use normal computer running xp to do the same thing too
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Ahh this brings me back - used to have a lot of fun with aircrack,kismet and airsnort several years ago.

Still have some Orinocos in my drawer together with atheros baced chipset that support injection.

Built a 'home made' antenna fitted to a camera pod to pratice injection - the antenna worked fine up to 2 - 3 km distance.

You can use normal computer running xp to do the same thing too
      I have an Orinoco Silver and Orinonco Gold PCMCIA card... maybe I'll try that
      even though the program won't open on my Windows 7 computer

Comment

i have not tried it on win 7, however if I remember right you have to use pre sp2 on xp and I have a vague thought that you had to use airopeek orinoco driver too.

This is the file I used - http://home.online.no/~povese/Wifi/Airsnort%20Win32/

I can upload the airopeek driver too if you can not find it,pretty sure I have that.

Comment

OT: does anyone have a Orinoco Gold firmware update somewhere? All the links I was able to find were dead

I've got a shiny new Silver card collecting dust here. Originally bought it for my old pimped-out 486DX4 100 Laptop, but this might be a bit more interesting

Comment

Pretty sure I have the firmware - let me look.

Comment

Found them - let me upload them

Comment

These are the one I have - don't remember if there are any others.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gabriel; 02-25-2012, 10:39 AM. Reason: Added Avaya firmware too

Comment

Oh, thank you!

Now, how about that Airopeek thingy?
                  Thanks

Comment

Airopeek driver or the thing itself ?

Uploaded the monitor driver to the same link as earlier.

Comment

Thanks. Gonna play around with this once I manage to find the card again..

Comment

Haha I'm gonna try it too maybe it is less buggy than KisMac...

Comment

I've played around with aircrack-ng a bit, did a successful crack of my friend's WPA2 network with a Ralink USB card. (of course we already had his key put into a dictionary file, but the process worked)
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

I watched someone do that too. Once we figured out how to run the software the WEP cracking only took a few minutes. WPA cracking was easy once the key was in the dictionary file. All my important stuff is locked with 150 bit entropy WPA keys. Bring it!

I'm waiting for someone to amend the WZC tool password entry screen. If no password is entered yet, a CRACK button appears which fills in the password. Once a password is entered the CRACK button changes to OK.

A few other words need to be changed:

Security-enabled wireless network (WPA) -> possibly crackable network (WPA)
                            Security-enabled wireless network (WEP) -> trivially crackable network (WEP)
                            sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                              I watched someone do that too. Once we figured out how to run the software the WEP cracking only took a few minutes. WPA cracking was easy once the key was in the dictionary file. All my important stuff is locked with 150 bit entropy WPA keys. Bring it!

I'm waiting for someone to amend the WZC tool password entry screen. If no password is entered yet, a CRACK button appears which fills in the password. Once a password is entered the CRACK button changes to OK.

A few other words need to be changed:

Security-enabled wireless network (WPA) -> possibly crackable network (WPA)
                              Security-enabled wireless network (WEP) -> trivially crackable network (WEP)
                              Hehehe I will try :P

Comment

I think the WPS exploit is a much better way to get into WPA systems than long dictionary attacks which will only work if the person has a bad password.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

I seem to remember a program that would take the links it 'sniffed' and paste web addresses to a browser so that you would get the same screen on your computer as those on your network, anyone remember the programs name ?

Comment

Working...
                                  X