e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

OK... so perhaps that damage is not a "physical result" of manipulation but potentially an "electrical result"... a short causing "arcing" / burning of the contact there in / on the cable. Hope not.... but you may need to trace that path to the edge board at the bottom of the set. At that point, get a meter and do some resistance measurements (to ground) to see what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
      OK... so perhaps that damage is not a "physical result" of manipulation but potentially an "electrical result"... a short causing "arcing" / burning of the contact there in / on the cable. Hope not.... but you may need to trace that path to the edge board at the bottom of the set. At that point, get a meter and do some resistance measurements (to ground) to see what's up.
      Going from ground to each of the contacts on the panel where the ribbon plugs in? What am I looking for? Thx

Comment

Just Picked up a FREE e701i-a3e no picture but backlights on craigslist and I'm about to start my journey....

I have taken everything apart and none of the 3 boards have visible damage, bad looking transistors etc... I just bought a digital multimeter from radio shack as well as a soldering kit. I have an extremely low IQ, but steady hands and a desire to succeed in this fix. Any help would be much appreciated as to the first step I should take, I can buy a new t-con board etc if needed. thanks ! -Josh

Comment

Start with #3 below, try to do it just as instructed, as always BE VERY CAREFUL when working with powerboard, there are DEADLY voltages on HOT side.

Comment

thank you so much for the quick reply! I'm going to try that right now , I'll post how it goes

Comment

Did they tell you what symptoms the tv was exhibiting?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                Did they tell you what symptoms the tv was exhibiting?
                Yes, when I turn it on the backlight comes on and no picture, but there is audio

Comment

Start with #3 below, try to do it just as instructed, as always BE VERY CAREFUL when working with powerboard, there are DEADLY voltages on HOT side.
                  I attempted to test this voltage, I am unable to find a place to put the positive side on the powerboard because it is surrounded by plastic. what should I do? can I test it from the maine board side? thanks

Comment

Can you post a picture of it? usually you just poke your probe down from the top a little til you hit metal, guess you could use some stripped bread ties.

Comment

[QUOTE=nomoresonys;929874]Can you post a picture of it? usually you just poke your probe down from the top a little til you hit metal, guess you could use some stripped bread ties.

gotcha thanks, I am new to all this , trying to figure out what setting to set the multimeter to as well, I am new to this level of repair

Comment

20 vdc, on meter black probe goes in com red probe in the one with v ma marking.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I can't believe this post is still active 4 years later... Anyways i was recently given an E701i-a3. Using this thread i replaced the T-Con Board and disconnected the right side drivers from the LCD panel and too my surprise i got a nice picture on the TV. The only problem is the faint " white" spots around the bottom half of the screen, they are really only noticeable when a white picture is displayed on the screen. Is there a fix for these "white" spots or is this as good as its going to get? Sorry for the terrible picture, it is difficult to get a good picture of these spots.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone messed with a Vizio D650i-B2? I have one where there's just ghosting picture of vertical lines but disconnecting one side of the panel at the T-Con board gives a good half picture on the other side of the screen. I have not taken the TV apart down to the panel to see if there are any side ribbons that can be removed. Panel # T650HVN05.9
                            Last edited by kevinm34232; 12-29-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

@Kevin, take it slow, tab removal can not be undone, in a lot of the tvs that were fixed by this ingenious method, thanks Freakafter8, had horizontal lines running thru the display, which is not to say that it has to be, just that you want to make sure the tab/s are the problem before removal. Did you try the disconnect one ribbon cable at a time to see what you have on display?

Comment

@Kevin, take it slow, tab removal can not be undone, in a lot of the tvs that were fixed by this ingenious method, thanks Freakafter8, had horizontal lines running thru the display, which is not to say that it has to be, just that you want to make sure the tab/s are the problem before removal. Did you try the disconnect one ribbon cable at a time to see what you have on display?
                                Yes I have repaired an E701i-A3 with the same issue and fix. One side of this panel is bad I just don't think there are side tabs on this one. I took one apart with a broken screen a couple weeks ago but didn't pay attention.

Comment

are you looking from the front? Side tabs (no boards) are only visible when the front plastic bezel is removed.... but a 65 may not have them. I think they do... 60 or smaller usually don't.
                                  Last edited by budwich; 12-30-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Maybe check the mlcc caps on driver board for shorts or very low ohms, guess it could also be a tcon issue.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-30-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Guess you could try the "cut tape" method, sometimes you have to fuss with tape placement to get it right, might not work but doesn't cost much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8
                                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-30-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I see what they're doing with the tape, but is there any method for which pins to cover or trial and error?

Comment

I think most start on outside and work their way in, mostly trial and error.

Comment

Working...
                                          X