Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 50PS30 Plasma TV No Picture, Sound Works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50PS30 Plasma TV No Picture, Sound Works.

Can anyone help me trouble shoot which board needs to be replaced in my plasma tv

I have already tested the main power feed line into the first board its getting the proper power.
    I have checked the VS VA they have the correct 65V and 195V the other 5V is correct leaving the board. I don't know what to further check.
    I have checked the fuses for continuity they have continuity.
    I was checking some little blue disk like electronics most of them have continuity but one in the middle of them does not I don't know enough about electronics to know if that is bad or its supposed to be open like that.

I touched various heat sinks the majority of them are cold there is one on the board with all the signal inputs which is very hot to the touch and another processor in the center of the tv which is also extremely hot.

Re: LG 50PS30 Plasma TV No Picture, Sound Works.

We try to help but we need some basic assistance from you as well...
    Please read this and the other stickies at the top of this thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Blinking light code?

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.amg6...5694446412764/
      Last edited by AndrewC63; 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks man,
        These plasma TVs give me a fit and my help will be limited to my short experience but I had one doing something similar
        Can you tell if the backlight is lighting?
        On the one i was working on it was lit but the screen was still black/dark however you could tell it was on. In my case it was for some people who were trying to fix it them selves and they spent $180 on boards and NEVER did get it fixed.
        I was trying to tell them to allow us to go thru the testing process but they were inpatient. Found it sitting out front a few weeks later... still have it but i have not worked on it again.
        Another case that had sound no picture turned out to be a bad controller board, however in your case you are getting a blink code on it. You need to find someone that knows what the LG blink code means. I watched the video and it is 1 long 1 short the pause 1 long 1 short that means the code you are looking for is 1 long 1 short.
        The code will put you on the right track. sorry I'm not more help but the google search did not reveal anything useful... be patient it can take a bit for folks in here to see your post

Comment

service manual
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vinceroger69; 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Good pictures!
            Is there a light lit on the middle green board?
            In a dark room check for a slight glow from the panel, it should also flash briefly when turned on (light grey before going to the low level intensity).

See page 119-128:

Check Vsc and -Vy (pg 123)
            Check Vzbias (pg 128)

Don't adjust anything yet, just check the voltages.

Note Vsc/-Vy are tested *across* components

These sets do not have blinking LED error codes.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Good pictures!
              Is there a light lit on the middle green board?
              In a dark room check for a slight glow from the panel, it should also flash briefly when turned on (light grey before going to the low level intensity).

See page 119-128:

Check Vsc and -Vy (pg 123)
              Check Vzbias (pg 128)

Don't adjust anything yet, just check the voltages.

Note Vsc/-Vy are tested *across* components

These sets do not have blinking LED error codes.
              I have a video of the light and the light beside blinking
              https://www.facebook.com/andrew.amg6...5694446412764/
              should be able to view it.

As far as I can tell the panel shows nothing

Comment

The LED may blink but it is ultimately meaningless on these sets other than to tell you that the main board is trying to turn power on or off.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So I went thru the pages and tested some things found something interesting.
                  I can't test the wave length I don't have anything for that.

VS 1 195.5V
                  VS 2 195.5V
                  VA 1 65.1V
                  VA 2 65.1V

I did make adjustments very small but I'll have to correct VS closer to 195V

Next Set of measurements

+VY 14.00V
                  +VSC 14.88V

Waveform I skipped

+VZB 2.702V

Tell me what you think but those voltages are very different from what is shown in the manual

Comment

Seems to indicate you have a control board fault or something is shutting the set down.

Can you get a close up picture of the control board.

An oscilloscope would be helpful for later, but we can work without one for most diagnostics if you're happy to replace boards, repair is a lot more difficult without one.

Comment

The lucky thing is I have a second working tv identical I bought two of these back then, do you think it would be worth while to open both and swap that part or I am looking at having two broken tv's.

That's the board with the blinking light? I found one for 40 bucks maybe I'll just get it and swap it out.

Those voltage are way off what they are supposed to be, will an oscilloscope nail down whats wrong 100%?

Comment

Yes, those voltages are wrong. I don't know what your panel voltages are but typically -Vy should be -200V and Vsc around 150V, Vzbias can vary but generally 100~160V.

So this indicates that something is not turning stuff on for one reason or another, most likely the control board, that is not guaranteed though so I'd like to do a couple of tests first.

As for swapping boards up to you...with a few exceptions you shouldn't be able to kill many boards but there is a chance of damage if you make a mistake with a connector etc so entirely up to you.

Comment

My personal experience with the 50PS30 and 50PS60 based on your description of the problem is a failed Y-Sustain board. I've repaired a few of these and they all had Y-Sustain issues. I haven't done a component level repair but maybe someone else that has will chime in.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part.../0057/614.html

I'd try your working Y-Sustain in it for verification.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
                            My personal experience with the 50PS30 and 50PS60 based on your description of the problem is a failed Y-Sustain board. I've repaired a few of these and they all had Y-Sustain issues. I haven't done a component level repair but maybe someone else that has will chime in.

Thing that's putting me off Y-sustain is that the Vsus voltage is ok and the Vzbias voltage is also low.
                            I didn't think these sets would shut down when the Y-sustain was bad...the Z-sustain should still be driving the panel, so to speak.

Comment

@ts

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              note vsc/-vy are tested *across* components.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post

What generally goes can it be replaced without buying a new board like un solder the broken component and replace it? or does no one bother and just replace the whole board.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewC63 View Post
                                  What generally goes can it be replaced without buying a new board like un solder the broken component and replace it? or does no one bother and just replace the whole board.
                                  Most of us do component level repair, but we expect the average TV repair novice to not be able to do that, so we generally direct you to replace individual boards after the troubleshooting is done.

Comment

He has a identical working tv. He can swap boards without problems unless the panel is shorted?
                                    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                                      He has a identical working tv. He can swap boards without problems unless the panel is shorted?
                                      Y-buffer can kill Y-sustain, control board can cause faults with both Y-sustain and Z-sustain, so it's not entirely risk free.

Comment

I've done soldering of bad capacitors on a 28" computer monitor I was able to test and find which where bad but there are so many things on that board anything I can specifically check to see if it needs replacing before doing the complete board

Comment

Working...
                                        X