Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead NIC's

Hi, I've got a bunch of dead NIC's
    One in a mini-itx system, integrated on the mobo, it was hit by lightning, no visible damage, no link detected

Next a small HP thin client, t5000 series, no link detected (also integrated on mobo)

A Intel Pro 100 NIC, same deal, no link detected

All these install the drivers fine and as far as Windows and Linux is concerned work just fine, they just can't bring up a link...
    Where would I start to troubleshoot this?
    Reason I ask is that I see allot of these in the field and would love to be able to fix them, especially the smaller systems that don't have room for PCI expansion cards...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Dead NIC's

Hook up wireshark and see if there are any ethernet packets coming from the devices. If they are working, you will see ethernet packets.

http://www.wireshark.org/

Check to make sure your computer bios is up to date. Sometimes a firmware upgrade may help?

Try disabling the network port in bios, save, cold boot (shut down via power switch), reboot, and re-enable network port in bios and reboot.

Some computers can also do a network boot. If you enable that, you should see ethernet packets on wireshark.

Originally posted by Per Hansson
    Where would I start to troubleshoot this?
    Reason I ask is that I see allot of these in the field and would love to be able to fix them, especially the smaller systems that don't have room for PCI expansion cards...
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i would start by removing and metering the windings on the transformer.
      if you cant see one then it's hidden in the back of the rj45 connector.

next, search a datasheet for the network chip - they usually have partial schematics of how you connect the socket through the transformer to the chip.

Comment

I have a dead one in a Shuttle.
        Replacing the Realtek chip and swapping crystals didn't help, must be the port which I can't get off of the board.

Comment

Look for blown SMD fuse near jack.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I looked at the price on those NIC ports, usually they are combined with 2x USB ports (all boards I have with failed NIC's are)

The price on those at Elfa Sweden was ca $13
            That's a big no thank you!
            Can probably find used complete boards cheaper than that!

PCBONEZ; I shall look for fuses, but I'll probably need to post a pic for help with identification
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I'll pull my port off the board I pulled the chip from, if I can.

As far as I know, no SMD fuses on mine.
              The network card reboots all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                Look for blown SMD fuse near jack.
                99% of all onboard nics have a SMD fuse.

Same for the PS/2, USB, Firewire etc.

They may be hard to find, real tiny but they are there somewhere.

This is even more true on laptop than desktop boards.

Comment

There is nothing in the connector to break.

Comment

Where's the transformer stj mentions then? Or is he talking about something else?

Comment

It should be near it.

Comment

sometimes they're integrated in the jack. but on the Intel Pro, they're external.
                        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                        X