Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed UCC and Rubycon replacement on a Dell XPS410, equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed UCC and Rubycon replacement on a Dell XPS410, equivalent?

Hello, I'm working on an old Dell XPS410 with burst capacitors. I'm trying to source either an equivalent replacement, or a replacement that will work. It's been suggested to me to use Poly caps as a replacement, but I have no idea what to order or what will work.

If anyone has a link to where I can buy what I need that would be even better.

These are the caps that have burst:

Board location: C8BV, C26BV, C43BV
    Brand: United Chemi Con
    Series: KZG
    Size: 10mm dia X 25mm height
    Impedance: (ohms max/20c, 100kHz) .012
    Ripple: 2800 @100khz
    Ratings: 6.3v, 3300uF

Board location: C94BV, C111BV
    Brand: Rubycon
    Series: MGZ
    Size: 10mm dia X 20mm height
    Ratings: 6.3v, 2200uF

I have added pictures below. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DXseekerMO; 02-04-2022, 05:01 PM.
    They call me......."threadkiller"

Re: Failed UCC and Rubycon replacement on a Dell XPS410, equivalent?

In a pinch, these should work for both the UCC KZG 6.3V 3300 uF and the Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 2200 uF:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=33

I say that, because Rubycon ZLH is not "as good" on paper (in terms of specs) as either Rubycon MCZ or UCC KZG. However, these motherboards aren't overly-demanding (apart from running rather hot sometimes.) Therefore, Ruby ZLH will likely work fine. Of course, if you want closer wet electrolytic equivalents, look up the following...

For Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 2200 uF:
    Rubycon ZLG 6.3V 2200 uF
    Panasonic FM 6.3V 2200 uF
    Panasonic FR 6.3V 2700 uF
    Nichicon HW 6.3V 2200 uF
    Nichicon HV 6.3V 2700 uF
    Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 2700 uF
    United Chemicon KZH 6.3V 2700 uF
    United Chemicon KZM 6.3V 2700 uF
    Rubycon ZLS 10V 2200 uF

For United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF, there are two considerations here. The ones you show in this picture limit your choices to 10 mm diameter caps. But the one in this picture, you can probably substitute with a 12.5 mm diameter cap, since both 10 mm and 12.5 mm caps use the same 5 mm cap lead spacing. So...

... for United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF (10 mm dia. replacements):
    Nichicon HV 6.3V 2700 uF
    Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 uF
    Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 2700 uF

... and for United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF (12.5 mm dia. replacements):
    Rubycon ZLG 6.3V 3300 or 3900 uF
    Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
    Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
    Rubycon ZLS 10V 3300 or 3900 uF
    United Chemicon KZH 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
    United Chemicon KZM 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
    Panasonic FM 6.3V 3900 or 3900 uF
    Panasonic FR 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF

^ Most of the above brands and series can be found on Digikey or Mouser. Avoid eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress, as there are too many counterfeits.
    Oh, and make sure to replace all Rubycon MCZ and UCC KZG series on your motherboard - all of the ones that have a voltage rating of 6.3V, as these tend to be the problematic ones, usually.

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
    It's been suggested to me to use Poly caps as a replacement, but I have no idea what to order or what will work.
    If you want to "experiment" with cheaper polymers, these will probably do:
    Kemet A750MU228M0GAAE007
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...AE007/13676488

Or if price is of no concern and you want the thing to last a nuclear fallout:
    Nichichon PLG series, P/N: PLG0G272MDO1TD
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...MDO1TD/5180933

I've personally used the Nichicon RR5 series (hybrid polyer), and they are a great "middle-ground" polymers (i.e. not too expensive, but still a Japanese brand). The only thing is the capacitance is not as high at 1200 uF (@ 4V) or 1500 uF (@ 2.5V). Since I don't know the voltage on the caps on your motherboard, I suggest going with the 4V caps, just in case there is 2.5V or more on any of these spots (probably not, though.) Otherwise, the 2.5V caps would be better for the higher capacitance. Here are the links for these two:

Nichicon RR5 series P/N: RR50G122MDN1 (4V 1200 uF)
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...22MDN1/2207229

Nichicon RR5 series P/N: RR50E152MDN1 (2.5V 1500 uF)
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...52MDN1/2207226

You can also do mix-n-match for parallel spots - i.e. 1 polymer with lower capacitance (but better ESR) and 1 electrolytic for the higher capacitance. For example, the two UCC KZG shown in your picture here are probably in parallel. So you could use one of the RR5 caps above (1200 / 1500 uF) and combine with one Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 uF.

Anyways, you don't need to go too crazy with these stuff. Honestly, almost any of the caps listed above in any combination will probably work just fine. Of course, if you do intent to push the machine really hard and in a hot environment, then the polymers would probably be the better option.

In short: more than one ways to skin a cat.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by momaka; 02-05-2022, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      In a pinch, these should work for both the UCC KZG 6.3V 3300 uF and the Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 2200 uF:
      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=33

I say that, because Rubycon ZLH is not "as good" on paper (in terms of specs) as either Rubycon MCZ or UCC KZG. However, these motherboards aren't overly-demanding (apart from running rather hot sometimes.) Therefore, Ruby ZLH will likely work fine. Of course, if you want closer wet electrolytic equivalents, look up the following...

For Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 2200 uF:
      Rubycon ZLG 6.3V 2200 uF
      Panasonic FM 6.3V 2200 uF
      Nichicon HW 6.3V 2200 uF
      Nichicon HV 6.3V 2700 uF
      Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 2700 uF
      Rubycon ZLS 10V 2200 uF

For United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF, there are two considerations here. The ones you show in this picture limit your choices to 10 mm diameter caps. But the one in this picture, you can probably substitute with a 12.5 mm diameter cap, since both 10 mm and 12.5 mm caps use the same 5 mm cap lead spacing. So...

... for United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF (10 mm dia. replacements):
      Nichicon HV 6.3V 2700 uF
      Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 uF
      Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 2700 uF

... and for United Chemicon KZG 6.3V 3300 uF (12.5 mm dia. replacements):
      Rubycon ZLG 6.3V 3300 or 3900 uF
      Rubycon ZLH 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
      Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
      Rubycon ZLS 10V 3300 or 3900 uF
      United Chemicon KZH 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
      United Chemicon KZM 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF
      Panasonic FM 6.3V 3900 or 3900 uF
      Panasonic FR 6.3V 3900 or 4700 uF

^ Most of the above brands and series can be found on Digikey or Mouser. Avoid eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress, as there are too many counterfeits.
      Oh, and make sure to replace all Rubycon MCZ and UCC KZG series on your motherboard - all of the ones that have a voltage rating of 6.3V, as these tend to be the problematic ones, usually.

If you want to "experiment" with cheaper polymers, these will probably do:
      Kemet A750MU228M0GAAE007
      https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...AE007/13676488

Or if price is of no concern and you want the thing to last a nuclear fallout:
      Nichichon PLG series, P/N: PLG0G272MDO1TD
      https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...MDO1TD/5180933

I've personally used the Nichicon RR5 series (hybrid polyer), and they are a great "middle-ground" polymers (i.e. not too expensive, but still a Japanese brand). The only thing is the capacitance is not as high at 1200 uF (@ 4V) or 1500 uF (@ 2.5V). Since I don't know the voltage on the caps on your motherboard, I suggest going with the 4V caps, just in case there is 2.5V or more on any of these spots (probably not, though.) Otherwise, the 2.5V caps would be better for the higher capacitance. Here are the links for these two:

Nichicon RR5 series P/N: RR50G122MDN1 (4V 1200 uF)
      https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...22MDN1/2207229

Nichicon RR5 series P/N: RR50E152MDN1 (2.5V 1500 uF)
      https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...52MDN1/2207226

You can also do mix-n-match for parallel spots - i.e. 1 polymer with lower capacitance (but better ESR) and 1 electrolytic for the higher capacitance. For example, the two UCC KZG shown in your picture here are probably in parallel. So you could use one of the RR5 caps above (1200 / 1500 uF) and combine with one Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V 3900 uF.

Anyways, you don't need to go too crazy with these stuff. Honestly, almost any of the caps listed above in any combination will probably work just fine. Of course, if you do intent to push the machine really hard and in a hot environment, then the polymers would probably be the better option.

In short: more than one ways to skin a cat.
      Have fun!
      Thank you very kindly for this detailed, thoughtful response. I appreciate your experience, knowledge and the thorough reply to my question!

Comment

You're welcome!
        Keep us updated how it goes.

Comment

You're welcome!
          Ok so I went with the Poly caps, and they made it here Saturday afternoon. I installed them right away. It was a pretty challenging install since I only have a 25w soldering iron. I had some difficulty clearing the solder from the lugs in the circuit board but managed to get them cleared out and the new caps installed. There were traces on the board near the lugs that were very small and looked easy to damage or burn through if I wasn't careful, but I managed not to goof any of them up.

As of now everything looks like it's working properly, and the operation was a success!

Thanks for the help and information that appears to have made this repair a success!

Comment

Ok so I went with the Poly caps, and they made it here Saturday afternoon. I installed them right away. It was a pretty challenging install since I only have a 25w soldering iron. I had some difficulty clearing the solder from the lugs in the circuit board but managed to get them cleared out and the new caps installed. There were traces on the board near the lugs that were very small and looked easy to damage or burn through if I wasn't careful, but I managed not to goof any of them up.

As of now everything looks like it's working properly, and the operation was a success!

Thanks for the help and information that appears to have made this repair a success!
            Quality temperature controlled iron is pretty crucial for motherboard cap work. I failed for years using heavily oxidized hot stick irons on core2duo era boards. Any pics of the updated repair? It's mandatory that if you post a board full of bad caps that you post a pic of the new caps in place. We need closure!
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            Ryzen 3600x
            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
            Rosewill Capstone 750W
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            Hakko FX-888D Station
            FX-8802 Iron
            MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

You're welcome!
              OP cross posted here:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...75#post1105875
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                Quality temperature controlled iron is pretty crucial for motherboard cap work. I failed for years using heavily oxidized hot stick irons on core2duo era boards. Any pics of the updated repair? It's mandatory that if you post a board full of bad caps that you post a pic of the new caps in place. We need closure!
                I should have taken pictures of the finished product, but I didn't. My apologies, I should have known better.

Comment

Ok so I went with the Poly caps, and they made it here Saturday afternoon. I installed them right away. It was a pretty challenging install since I only have a 25w soldering iron.
                  Wow, only 25W iron and you managed to do the repair?! That's actually pretty amazing feat. I remember back when I only had a 30 Watt Radio-Shack iron - it was a struggle to do motherboard recapping. Usually, I had to use my heat gun to pre-heat the board quite a bit before I could desolder caps... and even then it was a struggle (especially with caps around the CPU.) Perhaps because you didn't have to do any caps around the CPU, that might be why. Last year, I recapped a somewhat similar Dell Dimension E520 board from the same era, and it seemed easier to work on (again, at least for caps not around the CPU.)

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                  Any pics of the updated repair? It's mandatory that if you post a board full of bad caps that you post a pic of the new caps in place. We need closure!
                  Well, I don't know if posting pictures can ever be considered mandatory ... but indeed they are nice to have.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  Thanks! Will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X