No announcement yet.

EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

I have an issue with this battery testing machine that if you activate it for 50 milliamperes charging mode it does not do this correctly it goes to 350 milliamperes and does not turn off until I power cycle it then it will be in the off state

If I remember correctly it is a IFRP250N
    The Mouser part number is IRFP250PbF lead free version is the only type that is available now
    I can seem to find them at Mouser it seem Digikey shows them out of stock lead time 66 weeks lead time

I going to order some but senses I have to repair this because of this failure I going to see if I can modify the charging controller to charge from my 5 volt 5 amp power supply so I can use my usb charger setup to test usb battery packs because the usb battery tester that uses the same exact software has an issue where after a certain amount of time it shuts down and stops counting the the amp hours correctly

I will post some pictures of this repair when I receive the parts from Mouser because I have to order some other parts from them as well for another project

When I order some of these mosfet I going to order enough of to have spares to repair the other two battery testers that I also have
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-08-2022, 02:55 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

Can someone please explain to me what the difference between these two part numbers

IRFP250M

( this is part number that is in there now )
    bought 8 of them from Newark.com that all they had in stock

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...784f7a8ca8.pdf

IRFP250N

bought 10 of them from Newark.com they have plenty of them

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d14dbbddbb.pdf

One website says that it is heat temperature dispassion but I took a brief look at both data sheet and could not see any real difference between the two of them unless I am missing something but I ordered both of them
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-09-2022, 06:59 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Re: EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

Now it is time to reverse engineer this battery tester machine current sensor portion of this circuit to be able to use on my usb charger and we will see how this goes if it can be done and work correctly or not stay tune for more to come sense this battery testing machine has had this malfunction I do not have much to loose if it goes horribly wrong and I end up with a useless device it kind-a already this way now anyway because the only part that works correctly is the volt meter section and it does connect to the computer and still plots the voltage right now so is kind-a useful but I going to gamble on the odds that I hope to succeed in this project and hope for the best

But first I will put the the new mosfets in it and see if I can bring it back to life and go from there
      I have to remove the mosfets and the current shunt and try to trace where the two wires that measure the voltage drop and reroute these wires and put the current shunt on a separate circuit board and see if it can be used this way or not if it can then I will put a selector switch so I can go back to the original way that it is suppose to work or at least this is the plan of action I am going for

If I can get this to work correctly I will post some pictures of this modifications that were made and how you go about doing this modifications if anyone else would like to have this option for there battery testing machine

Because I have already decided that if it goes horribly wrong and I have to buy a new one to replace it so be it
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2022, 03:54 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is the data sheet for the buck converter ic chip
        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...99e3c5b9eb.pdf
        This device is interesting it can be controlled by a TTL signal and it also shows you what components you need to make it work in figure number 9 at the bottom of the data sheet

As you can see in the picture I have found the current sensor wires one of them is the common negative side of the battery side and the other side is the power supply side of the controller so this might be very easily done but I can not just power the board with a 5 volt power supply because this board also has a 12 voltage regulator that is the device that is on the heat sink but it is what I was hoping for and that the power supply side I was able to find the current shunt wire which I did now I have to find out what the resistance of the shunt device is so I can closely match it as possible and then I can do what I want with this battery testing machine
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2022, 12:21 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I have answered the question I was asking if it could be done correctly and the answer is yes it can with a twist I will have to put a 24 volt relay to make sure that it is not activating the two power supply at the same time by accident but I all have to do is put the negative side of the power supply to where the negative side of switching power supply that is part of the battery testing machine and the positive side of the power supply goes through the mosfets and so does the battery positive voltage as well this is the reason I will have to use a relay to isolate the two different power supply

So now I have to decide on how I am going to hook up the external switching power with the connection to the current detection board to the outside world and how I am going to switch the relay either it will be in the front of the enclosure or in the back of the enclosure

So this modification is going to be easier to do than I thought it would be but I have to make some decisions on how I want this to work
          Or I could remove the relay that is in there now and use a different type of relay that has more terminals on it which might be easier to do in the long run
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2022, 06:38 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Okay I have answered the most important question that I had about weather or not the battery tester would work on 5.45 volts with out give me any problems charging one 18650 battery cell set at one amp and voltage set to 4.20 volts

So I can check BMS protection boards with out voltage spiking the mosfets which is the most important thing because I can now do this more safely than 24 volts on board power supply

Now I have to figure out how I going to set it up to battery bank charging monitoring which means that I do not need the mosfets for this setup I just need the current shunt portion of the battery testing machine in this mode

I put the new mosfets in and I have a miner problem it shows on the volt meter a small voltage on the meter 0.01 volt to 0.30 which was not there before which could be that I have not cleaned off the flux off the mosfets/controller power supply board

More to come later and some more pictures also
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

This battery testing machine has become more versatile than I had expected it to be but not with out modification to the mosfets/controller power supply circuit board and without adding more inputs to the device that are not there now

I exporting weather or not I can modify the buck converter circuit because I have some of the same exact buck converter ic chip boards that I bought from EBay I just need for them to be shipped to me so I can see how I can modify the circuit boards on the battery tester so I can adjust the voltage going to the mosfet circuit
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I found out that you have to have the voltage at least one volt above the battery voltage when you select one amp on the battery tester for it work correctly this is very informative to have to operate this battery testing machine to test battery BMS protection boards to keep it from spiking voltage on the mosfet in the battery testing machine control board was not designed from the factory to do this correctly I had to modify the mosfets board and use a separate XL4015 buck converter to set the voltage for the battery that you are testing

I can not completely sure if the XL4015 buck converter on the board is setup to turn on/off the buck converter by the controller chip but I have a feeling that it is done this way plus the controller relay for add protection that fine if you are only testing battery by them self with no charging controller of any kind but this does not work well if you are using BMS protection boards or charging controllers for battery bank power supply this becomes the problem
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-24-2022, 01:36 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I tested a battery with a BMS protection board and the results are what I expected them to be one twin 18650 batteries with a

Settings for testing BMS 4.2 volt board

Battery tester 4.2 volts @ one amp
                  External power supply set at 5.0 volts unlimited amperage to 3 amps

The results of charging curve was what I expected it to be with a slop to zero amps and the voltage stayed at 4.2 volts when the battery tester finished it runtime the voltage only drop slightly which is what you want
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-25-2022, 07:07 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well here is an update…..——>

….——>

The controller portion of charging circuit goes to 5.5 amps and is uncontrollable the discharge still works but I not convinced that there is not something wrong this section as well

I going to modify this mosfet board to only monitor the voltage and current from a home made board with only the current shunt and the voltage input for the controller board and use a 12 volt power supply that the controller board needs

I have reversed engineered the circuit board to be able to do this because I really need a voltage/current computer monitoring system and this will work for how I want to do

I was not going to modify it to this extent but when I saw this type of failure I decided to do this modification because I need the battery tester to be reliable and seeing this troubling behavior I have made this decision

I have another battery tester that is giving me the same kind of behavior it just has not gotten that bad yet

I have bought two more new units to replace the ones that are failing

When I finish the modification on the one that has this failure I will post some pictures of the finished this project
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I know for sure that the controller is malfunction because the new ones do not allow you to start the charging cycle unless you have a battery hookup to the tester and the ones that are having issues it is allowing you to momentarily activate the charging cycle with out the battery hookup up to the tester ( not every time you push the button but if you do it rapidly it sometimes it does it )

One note the one that completely failed it has a short on the battery testing leads when you apply power to the controller board for some reason the the mosfets are being turned on when they are not supposed to be turned on sometimes it will allow you to power on and activate the discharge mode and that portion still worked but it is not always accessible so this is not safe to use it this way
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-21-2022, 02:05 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update from the last post above

It turns out that the controller is not the issue the mosfets interacts with the controller to do the amp calculations I am not sure exactly how but I could not figure out why the controller would not work correctly with out the mosfets not hooked up

So I switch controller boards with the one that sometimes has issues controlling the amperage and it works correctly

The controller that seems to have some issue it might be bad connection to the circuit board which I discovered when switching controllers boards

So I have one mosfets circuit board that is bad which I not going to spend anymore time on because some of the circuit board pads coming off because of trying different things to try to figure out what was the exact issue is
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update on this issue with this battery tester

The controller works correctly when it wants to so I have removed both mosfets from the board and going to use an adjustable switching power supply to just charge the batteries with BMS boards like I originally plan to do until I tried to troubleshoot the issue that is wrong with it

The mosfets setup is a little strange to me because I have not seen this before

******In between the two gate pins 10k ohm resistors there is also another 10k ohm then to the controller board

Positive——10k gate—— controller pin ***** 10k ohm *****——gate 10k ohm—— negative
                          Middle pins go to positive
                          Current shunt in between the positive and negative sides of mosfets
                          Outside pins to negative

One interesting thing about the voltage regulator setup it is limited to 5 amps with the resistor the turn on/off function pin is not wired to the controller ( with a motor as a load the output only had 2.5 amps on the input to the regulator was 24 volts @ 3.5 amps for the same motor ) I did not check the voltage that the motor has when going through the regulator

With out the mosfets installed the current is not controlled somehow the mosfets control the current but I have not figured out how they are doing it but my guess is the way the gate pins are configured is my guess but I just do not understand the theory behind this setup on this controller

I understand the discharge mode but not how the charging side of it works with the mosfets

In post #4 I have both side of the board for the mosfets

If someone out there understand how this controller works in the charging mode I would greatly appreciate an explanation of how it is suppose to work ( in this configuration setup )
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-28-2022, 02:38 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

One controller can not be fixed at this point in time because I am having a hard time understanding how this setup works exactly

Unfortunately I have not gotten a response from the company that makes this battery testing machine

I am going to build a mosfet board with the setup that I descriptive earlier and do some testing to see if I can understand how this works
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-29-2022, 04:15 AM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The controller that still has a functioning amperage meter and voltage meter and can be used for plotting the data

I did some testing on a battery pack that has a BMS protection board and set the voltage for 4.25 volts and it starts charging at 1.18 amps and drops to 400 milliamperes then adjusted the voltage to 4.45 volts ( external switching power supply ) then the amperage when to 800 milliamperes [ one note the battery voltage is 3.00 to 4.20 volts the battery tester still shuts down the charging cycle when the battery voltage reaches the set point ]

Which is what you would expect to happen when you are not using an [ automatic current controller ] / *voltage sensing still working

I will post the results from this test when it has finished testing the battery pack
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-29-2022, 05:35 AM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I've been following this thread for a while now. Not sure how to wrap my head around this. Anyway, I think you are stunned a bit having a 10k Ohm resistor on the gate of the Mosfet. It's common to put such a high value resistor from the gate to GND in order to make sure the Mosfet turns off. It could be that the gate capacitance keeps the Mosfet on (floating), even if it shouldn't (gate drive IC is off). So the resistor bleeds any voltage that resides on the capacitance on the Mosfet's gate pin, guaranteeing the Mosfet to turn off.

If I understand your problem correctly, the charger does charge, but for some reason has trouble with regulation?

Comment

Yes but as you put power to the controller it has a short from positive side of the power supply to the negative side of the power side with the mosfets removed the current dose not report anything and if it report anything it does not charge this is the one that does not work at all other than the voltage meter but the current section does not work at all

The other one that does work correctly for the voltage and current it also shorts when the mosfets are installed and I checked the voltage at the gate pin and it is about 6.something volts
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-29-2022, 09:30 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                    I've been following this thread for a while now. Not sure how to wrap my head around this. Anyway, I think you are stunned a bit having a 10k Ohm resistor on the gate of the Mosfet.
                                    I understand why the resistors are on the gate pins what I have a hard time understanding why you would put a resistor on the positive and negative side of the power supply and have another resistor in series with the controller pin unless you are doing some type voltage divider circuit if so how does it work in the charging mode I understand how it works in the discharge mode

It's common to put such a high value resistor from the gate to GND in order to make sure the Mosfet turns off. It could be that the gate capacitance keeps the Mosfet on (floating), even if it shouldn't (gate drive IC is off). So the resistor bleeds any voltage that resides on the capacitance on the Mosfet's gate pin, guaranteeing the Mosfet to turn off.
                                    I understand this part of this

If I understand your problem correctly, the charger does charge, but for some reason has trouble with regulation?
                                    What I do not understand is how you use the mosfets to control the charging current is what I have a hard time with

Thank you for your response
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-29-2022, 09:39 AM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I think the mosfets are placed in such configuration that the body diodes facing each other, preventing current flow either way when off. To make Power go through, something needs to turn on the gate like a management IC or a transistor. I think the Mosfet is one n channel and the other one a p channel configuration? You need to draw a schematic of it, then the picture will be clearer.

Comment

Well the strange thing is that they are the same part number for each one
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X