just repaired an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with the ‘ACPI BIOS ERROR’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just repaired an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with the ‘ACPI BIOS ERROR’

I have just repaired an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with the ‘ACPI BIOS ERROR', that prevented a successful Windows boot from the installed OS, and a Windows install USB (although it would boot to Linux). After eliminating standard potential causes like RAM and other connected devices, I disassembled the machine and saw a totally burnt-out ferrite bead. Replacing this then allowed the laptop to boot into Windows normally.

Re: just repaired an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with the ‘ACPI BIOS ERROR'

it'd be nice if you shared the exact location of ferrite bead.
    thanks anyway

Comment

Beside the burned Ferrite bead could indeed cause an issue it sounds more like it was revived by doing a BIOS hard reset.

Pictures of the location would be interesting especially whether there are more beads in parallel.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

3 photos of the damaged, replaced and general location on MBD of the ferrite bead.

It was definitely the bead replacement itself, as I'd reset the CMOS and swap tested everything else. Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Some clarification needed. This is a known issue on this model (LA-D993P motherboard) when the decoupling caps PC900, PC901, PC902 or PC903 go S/C and PL900 gets burned up in the process. Usually its one or both of the latter two as they are 10uf. The destroyed choke removes power from the +1.35VS_VGAP buck converter which in turn renders the discrete GPU inactive. Both caps should be replaced on spec, even if one is ok.

Linux works because it doesn't care about the discrete graphics error and just uses the internal CPU graphics instead. Windows however is a bit more picky.

Comment

I have this same issue and it is driving me crazy. I had updated my video drivers and then that same day my kid is playing Roblox and the laptop crashed. Then it would no loner load windows....acpi bios error. I have only been able to get Ubuntu to work. Windows will not load with a USB installer. Same acpi bios. I tried a different hard drive to do a clean install but that error is relentless. This issue is somewhat common with this laptop and there is no clear fix. This burn on the motherboard seems plausible to me. How much would it cost to get this fixed generally? I'm in Canada thanks!

Comment

No clear fix? It's a hardware issue on the motherboard as I explained above. No amount of software updates/fix/patches will resolve it. You can either replace the board or get it fixed by someone who has the skills to do it. This repair is quite simple for anyone who does component level repairs, but it's up to them how much they charge.

Dell will fix by swapping the board out. They don't do component level repairs for end users.

Comment

this has been an issue for so many people, everyone has tried everything via software, but the problem may be hardware istead. gob job!

just wondering about the bios reset, what's the difference when you restore the setting to BIOS Defaults or Factory settings ? like will it ask for that long dell key/model to access the bios?

Comment

this is hilarious...

Comment

Dear All,
                    same laptop same problem...
                    I disassembled the mainboard but no burned bead...
                    See photos attached. Hope that even without visual signs the bead is defect, but what if not?
                    Any suggestions?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Me temo que tengo un problema similar....he tratado de solucionar con actualización de BIOS pero no funcionó así que me animé y decidí abrir el equipo es una Inspiron 15 Gaming 7566 ....no es la misma placa pero aquí las imágenes....aún no la he reparado
                      I'm afraid I have a similar problem... I tried to fix it with a BIOS update but it didn't work, so I decided to open the computer, it's an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7566....it's not the same motherboard but here are the images ....I haven't repaired it yet

[Mod. Edit-Vesko356] This is an english language forum, post in English please!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Vesko356; 08-09-2023, 02:59 PM. Reason: English translation.

Comment

Thank you everyboy share it. It's true for my laptop

Comment

I have the same board and problem accept mine is not burned in the same spot. Mine is burn at PL800 near the plug for the battery. Do you have a parts list for this board? I need to figure out what the value of it is. I am pretty sure that it was a capacitor.

Comment

I wanted to also reply to this as I had one come through my shop this week. I decided to remove the board and take a pic of what I found, which is exactly same burnt component as GheddisGundus.

Comment

Working...
                            X