This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello My name is Dave and i'm having problems posting on this forum i joined a while ago to do some research and now i'm finding that i can't post any new threads to ask for help.

Comment

Hi, I'm Charles. First computers, Trash 80 and C64. Started building my own systems in 1995. The only systems that I haven't built since 95 have been laptops and a EX485 HP Media Smart Server.

The only experience I've had in replacing caps was on a ViewSonic monitor power board. It was a successful repair thanks to a friend that helped me that had a great deal more knowledge on the subject than I had. He has since moved over seas for work. Recently my EX485 server decided not to boot. It would power up for a second then turn off. Doing some research brought me to pulling the power supply and looking at the caps, which are swollen and one is starting to leak out of the top. Due to not having enough time and knowledge to fix the caps at the time I was just going to order a new power supply from HP. WRONG! The suits at HP have decided not to make replacement power supply's available. HP support reply “We have new servers you can purchase”. I have found some after market PS available but the price is a little high. In my search for more knowledge on replacing the caps on the HP it has brought me to the badcaps.net forum.

Projects I'm currently working on.
      Restoring / fixing my grandfathers neglected forties era house.
      Put on the back burner. Bringing a 1939 Motorola model 63A radio back to life. Also have two fifties era Motorola radio's and a 1958 Philco Predicta barber pole television waiting for life to be brought back to them.

Comment

looking forward to being here.

Comment

G'day, I'm Norlec and I joined in search of technical information, manuals & diagrams as well as to interchange information and ideas. I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

Comment

Hello Guys. Im new just starting getting into electronic repair and have been trying to learn about things. Can't wait to have all your help from this forums thanks!!

Comment

Hy. My name is Johnny and i am from Malta ... very interesting stuff you have here ... glad that i joined. thks for sharing.

Comment

Hey I'm Tim and I'm from Australia. I like to repair stuff instead of throwing it away for both environmental and cost benefits!

This place looks like an awesome resource.

Cheers

Comment

Hi... my Panasonic plasma died, and google led me here!

Comment

What a wonderful forum to find! Can't wait to explore the vast trove of knowledge! I like to fix electronics in my spare time, may need to pick a few brains

-Corey

Comment

Name's Dave and I hate to see perfectly good stuff in the trash because people don't want to take the time to fix it! I've resurrected a lot of things most people throw away.
                      I've got a basement full of Pachinko machines that were in a flood that would have beed sent to the dump but they are repairable. The complexity of the electronics in the modern games is amazing (stereo sound, 15-20" lcd's, lots of flashy lights......my precious.....).

Real reason I'm here is because I've lost 2 motherboards in my Dell XPS720 H2C and I really like the computer but new-ish boards are expensive and if I can fix any of the ones I have it would be great. I've done plenty of research up to now, but gotta tell ya, my head hurts trying to figure out which caps to buy. But that's for another thread

Comment

I own a TV repair shop here in Annapolis ,MD....been repairing TV's for 30+ yrs....struggling to keep afloat.
                        I love fixing things....recycling etc.
                        I need all the help l I can get....
                        And reciprocate as well...

Comment

Hi, my name is Katie, I am a tv tech have been working in this field since 1987. Love the work but it sometimes becomes tedious. Hope we can be friends and I am looking forward to learning some new things.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Hello, you can call my Liggy (old nickname from my army days).

I have been an electronic / computer tech since 1984 (army training) and still making a living from it till this day. I really appreciate the information I found on this site on how to fix my Samsung monitor. Look forward to reading more posts and sharing when I am able.

Take care,
                            Liggy

Comment

Hello I'm Paolo from Italy (please call me Follid )... I like to repair everything and I hate to waste materials and products that can be still useful. And sometimes even old and obsolerte electronic devices are better than new ones. So, if they stop working let's make them work again!
                              Thank you very much for the add in this forum.

Comment

Hi. I'm new here and joined to hopefully get some info on unlocking a password. Unfortunately I bought a laptop off ebay and I can't return it, and I can't do anything with it either. So hope I can find some info on here. Thanks.

Comment

I was searching for a answer to a bad Vizio and was impressed with Badcaps Forum
                                  the tread I found is exactly the problem I am having, so I joined to add my 2 cents.

Comment

Hello all my name is Colt and i am a journeyman electrician and amateur tinkerer from canada looking to learn more on the electronics side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                      Hi, I'm new!
                                      I just wanna thank you for letting me be part of this forum. I'm a tech working in a Wholesale Electronics Company. I'm in charge of the Tech Dept. I do side jobs and that's how I got here. Actually, I'm looking for some help on how to fix a distorted colors issue on Samsung LN-46C600F3F. I replaced the combo Power Supply/Inverter Board. The original problem was that the picture was dark. Now I have picture but it's distorted. What can I do to fix this problem? Any suggestions? So, in order to make my long story shorter that's how I got here.
                                      I like what I do and I enjoy fixing tv's. I like helping people to have broken things fixed. I wanna help and to be help and make this community my family. Thank you so much.

Comment

I am Brett. I came across this forum when trying find a way to resurrect my Samsung LCD. I enjoy learning and a challenge. Hoping to get some help fixing my power supply board.

Comment

hello all, new to this forum but very thankful for all the posts concerning my broken Panasonic plasma, you guys are great.

Comment

Working...
                                          X