Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [HOWTO] Fix/Repair "Chassis Intruded Fatal Error System Halted" on Asus P5QL

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    Ok that's a good pic. With the board powered ON, measure voltage at the CHASSIS jumper. Find the pin that has somewhere between 1 volt and 3.3v. Could be anything in that range.

Once you found it, turn all power OFF and unplug the power supply, and set your multimeter to beeper. One probe goes to that pin you found with the voltage on it, and with the other probe measure on the little 3-pin transistors around the Winbond chip. You should find one that beeps on the single pin at the top, which would be the collector or drain.

Return with these results and i will try to help you further.
    Hi Th3_uN1Qu3, First of all thanks for posting this solution and keeping this thread alive. I have Asus m5a78l-m lx v2, i dont see any 3 pin transistors near the Super I/O Chip but there is another small chip below the super I/O chip that has those transistors.

Comment

Re: [HOWTO] Fix/Repair "Chassis Intruded Fatal Error System Halted" on Asus P5QL

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      There is a dual diode which feeds power to CMOS memory from two places: 5VSB rail of PSU via 3.3V regulator, and the coin cell. You should trace the circuit going from the coin cell holder until you get to that diode. Either the diode is bad or a leaking battery corroded the trace so the battery simply does not get connected to the circuit.
      It's been some time, finally making some progress with old projects here...

I found the diode, it tests fine. It comes after a resistor marked 01B (1Kohm) which tests fine. There is a 0.2V forward voltage on both pins.

I think this has more to do with a quirk on some Asus motherboards than it has to do with a defective battery circuit. I only have this problem on my P5PE-VM with a certain CPU installed, and I do have an unsupported CPU (Xeon hack) running in this one, so I might just try it with my Q9650 instead.

My question is: What exactly keeps the SPI alive during a no power state when there is no voltage showing on any of the SPI pins... I tested this on a different motherboard, I installed a battery, and I do not see 3V on the VCC pin of the SPI chip. Unless of course there's supposed to always be 3V on VCC, but I don't remember this other motherboard exhibiting this same issue (Asus P5B).

Thanks
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Thanks to this thread and contributors, I finally managed to boot that old Asus at5nm10-i (Atom inside). The chassis-intruded sot-23 diode on this model can be found up to the second 'c' of the label 'clrtc' near an angle of the mobo, if somebody else got one if those relics and need a fast-11-years-repair.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post

I think this has more to do with a quirk on some Asus motherboards than it has to do with a defective battery circuit. I only have this problem on my P5PE-VM with a certain CPU installed, and I do have an unsupported CPU (Xeon hack) running in this one, so I might just try it with my Q9650 instead.
          Reminds me of my Asus socket 1366 motherboard, using a Radeon RX580, causes to CMOS to get reset, a bad bug!

If this is to do with video card chronology, looks like for Nvidia, would possibly mean you can't install a later video card than a GeForce GTX 980 series on an Asus pre-UEFI motherboard and possibly a Radeon R9 290X for AMD video cards. (suspect it's the VBIOS)
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

This is what mk I don't understand.
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-20-2020, 08:46 AM. Reason: google translate

Comment

Working...
            X