MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2010 Kernal Panic Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2010 Kernal Panic Issue

So we all know the dreaded Kernal Panic on a 2010 15" and 17" DeadBook Pros. WE know its not the GPU since its the NVIDIA GT 330M series. The thing is this...I replaced the poly cap with a 330 UF capicotr on C9560 and it still kernel panics...so I am like what gives? So I decided to replaced the C9510 with another 330UF Capictor and now it kernel panics faster. So I am lost? I know its not a failing GPU because it boots fine but the moment I try to watch a YouTube video at all the computer black screens and then restarts. Checking the crash report posts towards the error KERNAL TASK. So why am I still getting Kernal panics? Maybe I am missing something?
    sigpic
    MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Re: MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2010 Kernal Panic Issue

The 17" 2010 doesn't have the failing C9560 capacitor, it only applies to the 15" 2010.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

And why is it that the forums and other articles point to this issue that the 17" has this same issue as the 15". The GPU is identical to the 15" and uses the same poly caps as the 15" the only thing I noticed is there is two poly caps pointing to this GPU. and the Kernel Panics are identical to the 15"
      sigpic

Comment

They're not the same cap. On 15" 2010, C9560 is a 330uF 2V tantalum, the exact same one found as C7771 on some earlier 2008/2009 models (and yes on those it applied to 17" as well). On 17" 2010, C9560 is a 220uF 2.5V tantalum, which hasn't been found to be problematic.
        It could always die for sure, but this wouldn't be a common occurrence, unlike on 15".
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

So the Kernel Panic on this is a failed GPU then?
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X