LG OLED C8 65in has no power, makes click noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED C8 65in has no power, makes click noise

This TV had a problem where no remotes would work, tried several that were confirmed working, so we were able to control it using the android phone app, just recently when we turned the tv off, some lighting at the very bottom of the tv happened, probably a few mm worth of light was flashing from the screen, despite the TV being off

I unplugged it and left it that way overnight, i tried the TV again and it was working with netflix, the light flashing started again and then the tv just shut off

Since the remote isnt working i am using the button on the tv and when i press it, a click noise happens but that is all, tried unplugging again with no luck

I found 2 spots on the PSU that had some corrosion, not sure if that is the issue though

I have a multimeter and can solder, but thats pretty much my limitation of electronic repair
    Attached Files

Re: LG OLED C8 65in has no power, makes click noise

Do you have the voltages at P201 and at the connector lower down (can't see the number) as given on the power supply board
    Last edited by dick_barton; 05-13-2020, 04:32 AM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
      just recently when we turned the tv off, some lighting at the very bottom of the tv happened, probably a few mm worth of light
      I found 2 spots on the PSU that had some corrosion, not sure if that is the issue though
      the 2 spots on PSU are normal to me.
      few light on some places on screen sound bad to me..
      also do this test: the grey socket on the PSU which its goes to the T-CON driver.. disconnect it from PSU side then turn on the set.. keep watching the Red LED indicator at the front of the set. it will blinking 2 time then went out..as normal tv starting.. you can be sure its starting or not after while the sound optic output socket LED will turn Red. this test the screen will remain black .

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
        the 2 spots on PSU are normal to me.
        few light on some places on screen sound bad to me..
        also do this test: the grey socket on the PSU which its goes to the T-CON driver.. disconnect it from PSU side then turn on the set.. keep watching the Red LED indicator at the front of the set. it will blinking 2 time then went out..as normal tv starting.. you can be sure its starting or not after while the sound optic output socket LED will turn Red. this test the screen will remain black .
        I think when the remote stopped working a few mth ago, that is when the led indicator stopped working as well, but i cant be entirely sure

I did the test you mentioned, when i press the power button on the tv, it clicks as if turning on and then later another click as if turning off with no led or display

Comment

when i press the power button on the tv, it clicks as if turning on and then later another click as if turning off with no led or display
          keep the socket of the test i mentioned always disconnected on the PWB side. we don't need it now.
          click and later another click mean the TV turned on but it went to standby mode again because ( the last state Option) this mean when you press the power again on it should click again ... i asked you to keep the eyes on sound optic socket the red led indicator come on or not.

write your model No complete C8 XXX
          post photo to show all boards connected together

Comment

this is the service manual. you can follow trouble shooting no remote and standby voltage 7.8V and the high one after press power key.
            Attached Files

Comment

keep the socket of the test i mentioned always disconnected on the PWB side. we don't need it now.
              click and later another click mean the TV turned on but it went to standby mode again because ( the last state Option) this mean when you press the power again on it should click again ... i asked you to keep the eyes on sound optic socket the red led indicator come on or not.

write your model No complete C8 XXX
              post photo to show all boards connected together
              Oh k i will leave it disconnected, when i had it connected i plugged the power cable and the set did the click on and off, the optical port came on and then off, same with using the power button

When i disconnected the cable you mentioned, the optical led remained lit as long as the tv was plugged, and the power button had no effect

The service manual you found is for my correct model, i will take a look at it and will get the photos

Comment

When i disconnected the cable you mentioned, the optical led remained lit as long as the tv was plugged, and the power button had no effect
                No need for photos as your set matched the service manual and my post over here

put back the disconnected cable back to the PSU. and just disconnect the white socket of same cable on the T-CON Driver board side.. your set should react same behavior when you plug it in wall socket Optical led remains lit ( mean the tv ON )
                with this test you can now give eyes on yours screen when you plug it on better in dark room.. if there any horizontal or vertical line or white spots appears on the screen.

by the way while the the set on (if you plug back the white socket at T-CON Driver board ) the screen will come on and it may remain on if there are no SOS signal come out from micon.

good luck
                Last edited by Diah; 05-18-2020, 11:42 PM.

Comment

put back the disconnected cable back to the PSU. and just disconnect the white socket of same cable on the T-CON Driver board side.. your set should react same behavior when you plug it in wall socket Optical led remains lit ( mean the tv ON )
                  with this test you can now give eyes on yours screen when you plug it on better in dark room.. if there any horizontal or vertical line or white spots appears on the screen.

by the way while the the set on (if you plug back the white socket at T-CON Driver board ) the screen will come on and it may remain on if there are no SOS signal come out from micon.

good luck
                  I was able to get the tv to show me the lines, and then it showed the SNOWY screen that you get when your antenna isnt working and then it went blank again

Comment

good luck
                    Now that its dark i can do some more testing, so with either of the connectors disconnected, the tv will not show lines or any snow

With everything connected, sometimes the tv will show lines, then snow, but most of the time it just shows lines, sometimes the lines are different and sometimes they move

With the p251 cable disconnected i tested the pins and they all seem to give correct voltages, i then tested 201 with the cable connected and got the correct voltages

With p251 connected i was getting 0s for most voltages and some of the voltages on 201 changed to 7v

When i disconnected 201 i was getting 0s for the pins

Comment

disconnecting socket 201 make no sense at all. this C8 PSU version designed to working on different way from other early LG OLED.
                      you are facing now tow stories...
                      1- when the TV on stand by the PSU will have only 7.8 V goes to MB via socket 201. this 7.8 volts will converted to 3.3V on main boards (IC3000 MICOM ) to feed the IR section which at your case doesn't work ( No remote & No Red LED indicator ON at same section )

then when Main IC on MB send power on signal to PSU the 7.8 volts will goes 12V and the other 23V will produce by PSU to feed the T-CON module driver ( the black socket on the T-CON driver boards ).. if there are no 3.3V this could be the MB regulator bad or the IR boards bad. when the set on stand by plug out the IR socket from MB side and trace all pins of the MB socket side if you have any 3.3V.

2- the Lines you are saw on screen when the set turn on while the white socket on T-CON driver disconnected have sad story different from 3.3V story .. mean the OLED module damaged or shorted or one of lines round the screen broken.. take look on my post i mentioned before and look at ribbon cable type photo.. the 2 line on the right side all 4 ribbon share this line which going round the screen and back to t-con driver..for refresh pixel (different from early OLED module version used by LG)

Comment

Dang, guess ill need to look for a new oled now

Comment

Working...
                        X