Sanyo RFWZV475F DVD Recorder/VCR Combo Turning off when loading tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanyo RFWZV475F DVD Recorder/VCR Combo Turning off when loading tape

I have this sanyo VCR/DVD combo when i first got it the tape would drag really slow. this is a video of it

https://youtu.be/3XrioZgPI_k

I got busy during this time and it has just sat in my room for two years and now i've been trying to get around fixing it. Well now it wont even play the tape and just powers off upon loading the tape here it is at its current state

https://youtu.be/zynEh0xVsNM

I am pretty much stuck at this point on what to do. I took it apart and cleaned the encoder mode switch! Which did nothing. So i thought maybe the power supply was bad and i completely recapped most of the power supply. as ive seen other videos with this similar unit have bad caps. i missed four caps that i some how forgot when i was ordering caps
    I also cleaned the little RF glass signal thing that gets split three ways. I don't know the proper name but the RF sensor that detects if the tape is spinning.

This unit is amazingly clean inside it was manufactured in 2015 i got in 2018 so it has seen very little play! Ive noticed that this type of machine is made by MAGNAVOX ZV427MG9 A and i am sure there are other machines from looking at youtube videos.

Any help of suggestions would be great! sorry for the huge post but i've been slamming my head on this thing for a few days now.

I should also add that the capstan moves freely when i move it with my hand and it spins all the gears!
    Last edited by Bangulo; 06-05-2020, 09:39 AM.

Re: Sanyo RFWZV475F DVD Recorder/VCR Combo Turning off when loading tape

Have you watched any of daves videos on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ATVVideoProductions

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
      Have you watched any of daves videos on youtube
      https://www.youtube.com/user/ATVVideoProductions
      I did! Thats where i got the idea to clean the encoder switch.

Comment

In the first video was the sound coming fom the smps section? it sounds to me like the power supply was having an issue, I have heard that sound before, noisy smps. In the second video it could be that stray light is tirpping the tape end sensor, place something over the vcr to stop light shining on the sensors.
        Last edited by R_J; 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          In the first video was the sound coming fom the smps section? it sounds to me like the power supply was having an issue, I have heard that sound before, noisy smps. In the second video it could be that stray light is tirpping the tape end sensor, place something over the vcr to stop light shining on the sensors.
          I am not actually sure what "SMP" means, I mostly dabble in fixing video game units and computers. So allot of this is new to me sorry for dumb questions. That sound is definitely coming from where the tape spools up around the drum if that helps. I'll also try your suggestion with covering up the sensor.

Comment

So i reopened it up and re cleaned the encoder chip just make sure! this time i cleaned it with some contact cleaner. Still no luck. It seems to power off as soon as the arms move to feed the tape onto the hub. Before it even tries to play the tape.

Comment

smp (switch mode power supply) did you get the timming marks re aligned when you removed the mode switch etc its usually little dots or triangles marked on the cogs

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                smp (switch mode power supply) did you get the timming marks re aligned when you removed the mode switch etc its usually little dots or triangles marked on the cogs
                Yeah i got the timing aligned. It was doing this exact behavior before i even touched it. Yeah the sound is not coming from the power supply, I wish it was then id probably have had this sorted lol!

Thanks for the suggestions though! appreciate it!

Comment

You must have done something to it because it was loading and playing (with the erratic capstan) before in the first video and now it is no longer loading the tape. Check that any mechanism to board plugs are not damaged.
                  Last edited by R_J; 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

You must have done something to it because it was loading and playing (with the erratic capstan) before in the first video and now it is no longer loading the tape. Check that any mechanism to board plugs are not damaged.
                    Only difference from the first video and second video was time. it sat for two years then when i plugged it in thats what it did last week. This is why i am lost on what to do at this point. I am ordering the rest of the caps to finish off the rest of the power board just in case it is a slight chance that it may be due to the caps i missed. checking voltages and connections would be my next step i guess. these things are built like junk all the wiring is junky soldered down flimsy ZIF ribbon cable even the power cable is ZIF

Comment

When replacing the caps in the power supply, make sure to replace the small electrolytics in the primary circuit, usually around 1~10µf/50v, they can dry out and cause unstable problems. Post some pictures.
                      I thought the second video was after the mode switch cleaning not two years later.

Comment

When replacing the caps in the power supply, make sure to replace the small electrolytics in the primary circuit, usually around 1~10µf/50v, they can dry out and cause unstable problems. Post some pictures.
                        I thought the second video was after the mode switch cleaning not two years later.
                        Them really small caps are the ones i missed so it would be nice if thats it lol
                        No worrys about the second video! Any suggestion is appreciated! Ill post some pictures tomorrow of what i capped so far. and the boards.

Comment

So i made a little bit of progress, I got it to actually play a tape without turning off. What i did was engage the capstan to the pinch roller manually by pulling the loading belt till it fully engaged and then i moved the roller well it was off. I saw someone do this and it fixed his vcr on accident were i got the idea to begin with.

But now it seems to me that it may be a bearing in the capstan motor thats messed up
                          Here are some videos of what its doing. All the noise is coming from the motor. When i put pressure on the capstan the sound goes silent and when i let go it continue. Also no amount of pressure really seems to slow the motor down but when i let go it seems to fluctuate.

Here are some videos of the behavior

https://youtu.be/Vd48QHHGpGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0uKO_hzyLc

Comment

So what you are saying is the loading belt is slipping and not loading the tape all the way.
                            I doubt the problem is with the capstan motor/bearing itself, the bearings rarely wear out because it does'nt spin very fast. It could be caused by a poor supply voltage to the motor drive circuit, this is a multi phase motor and if the drive waveform is not correct it won't operate smoothly.

Comment

Working...
                            X