Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Won't stay powered on - Sharp LC52LE700UN with RDENCA336WJQZ DPS-286AP power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't stay powered on - Sharp LC52LE700UN with RDENCA336WJQZ DPS-286AP power supply

Greetings - first post. I'm awed that a forum like this exists. It's a dream come true. I'm not even kidding.

I've got a 13 year-old Sharp LC52LE700UN television that's developed a problem of powering itself off after 30-45 seconds. If I pull the mains cord and reconnect, it will come back on right away without so much as a button push...then turn off after 30-45 seconds.

Service manual S37X3LC46E77U is attached to this post, as well as a front and a back picture of the RDENCA336WJQZ DPS-286AP power supply taken after completing my work.

Each time that the TV's power supply would shut itself off, the power LED and OPC LED would flash twice, together, about 1/4-second per flash, then the OPC would flash a third time for about 1/4 second, then there would be a 1/4-second pause, and the sequence would repeat. The service manual said this error was "DET_6V (56pin) error (L). D5V or A5V is not applied. If error is detected during operation, error standby is activated by polling."

There don't appear to be any visibly damaged components on the power supply. After reading here that 5V standby voltages could be a problem, I ordered an sj-RDENCA336WJQZ repair kit from shopjimmy.com.

For my gear and skills, I have a 50W soldering station, a small desoldering iron, and a Fluke 113. I have some experience with board-level work, mostly ripping-and-replacing through-hole components on audio equipment. I also have very little circuit design experience which applies here.

I replaced IC7905 TNY264PN with a socket, then plugged in the new bagged part from the sj kit, which is a matching TNY264PN.

IC7905 is the only part of the sj kit that is a direct match for the original components.

D7908 came out, it is a 5383B, and it passed the diode check off the board. It was replaced with the new bagged part from the sj kit, which is a 5358B.

R7914 tested off the board at 2.3 ohms. Even though it looked different, I replaced it with the bagged part from the sj kit, which is a 5.6 ohm 1/2-watt sized resistor, colored grey with green-blue-gold-gold stripes.

R7918 tested off the board at 2.3 ohms. It is a 1/2-watt sized resistor, colored tan with red-red-gold-gold-silver stripes. I replaced it with the bagged part from the sj kit, which is a 0.22 ohm 1/2-watt sized resistor, colored light blue with black-red-red-silver-gold stripes.

After completing that work, the power supply does not power on when the mains cord is plugged in.

After reading some more, I lifted one leg of D7905 just to see if it would help. I didn't make a difference.

I'm not too surprised, because I really don't know what I'm doing. This whole thing is an excercise in using a minimal skill set to grasp at straws and save a television from the dumpster.

Having burnt enough time on it, I ordered a matching used power supply from eBay. The seller claims that it came from a working TV, and he's got respectable feedback so I feel comfortable with the purchase. He also accepts returns for 30 days. My plan was to keep the eBay power supply if it brought the TV back to life, and return it if it didn't. As it stands now, it's going back. I prefer to fix the original power supply if that's at all possible.

Sadly, with the eBay power supply installed, the set powers on like before, but it still shuts off like before. Except now when it shuts off, the power LED and the OPC LED will flash twice, about 1/4 second per flash, then pause for about half a second, and repeat. The service manual says that it is a "DET_D3V3 (59pin) error (L). D3.3V is not applied. If error is detected during operation, error standby is activated by polling."

I bet I'd end up back where I started if I returned the original components to the original board, and tacked D7905 back down. The TNY264PN didn't survive being desoldered, but the original D7908, R7914, and R7918 are all OK. But then I think about that eBay power supply, with its different error code.

So at the end of all this typing and reading and thinking, I've got two power supplies, each showing a different error code, and a Sharp LC52LE700UN television that won't stay powered on for more than 30-45 seconds at a time, and I have to disconnect the mains cord before each attempt.

What's likely to be the problem here?

Thank you so much --
    Attached Files
    Last edited by timtrace; 05-14-2020, 09:33 PM.

Re: Won't stay powered on - Sharp LC52LE700UN with RDENCA336WJQZ DPS-286AP power supp

OK, too bad you did not report the Voltage readings on the PD connector of the old board before the works was done to know what the Standby power supply Voltage is, IC7905 TNY264PN is for Standby power supply circuit.
    So right now you need to have all the boards back in place and then report the Voltage reading of each pin of the PD connector of the power supply board when TV is plugged in and when power switch is activated in this format so we can easily see what it has an what it does not have.
    PD connector: TV Off = AC cord is first plugged in without touching any thing, TV ON = Power switched is activated so we can see if any Voltage of the pins change state or not.
    Pin 1 13.5V (SIGNAL) = xx V (TV off), xx V after 40 seconds, xx V (Power switch activated)
    Pin 2 13.5V (SIGNAL) = xx V (TV off),xx V after 40 seconds, xx V (Power switch activated)
    Pin 3 13.5V (AUDIO) = xx V (TV off), xx V after 40 seconds, xx V (Power switch activated)
    Pin 4 ............
    pin 5 ............

See attached Service manual for Sharp LC-32-52LE700un, the manual you provide is for LC-52E, NOT LE
    LC-52LE Error codes on page 6-16, 6-17 for error code 2:3
    Attached Files
    Last edited by budm; 05-14-2020, 11:51 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Re: Won't stay powered on - Sharp LC52LE700UN with RDENCA336WJQZ DPS-286AP power supp

Originally posted by timtrace View Post
      I've got a 13 year-old Sharp LC52LE700UN television
      Originally posted by budm View Post
      See attached Service manual for Sharp LC-32-52LE700un
      So sorry for the mistake - this television is indeed a Sharp LC-52E77UN as printed on the label on rear panel. Is it possible to edit my post title and OP body text to reflect this, so that Google's crawler picks up the correct info?

Where do I get ground for pinning the PD connector?

And, when I plug in the mains cord, the power supply clicks and the backlights come on. To gather the "TV OFF" data, should I just switch it off after plugging it in, and wait for how long?

Thank you --
      Attached Files

Comment

Ground on metal chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
          Ground on metal chassis.
          Thanks - I suspected it was that easy, but again, I've got very little previous experience to draw from

Comment

Thanks for the help thus far. I'll have time to work on this over the weekend.

Question - if I'm backprobing PD with the board connected to the TV, will the board be safe from damage if I use an alligator jumper lead to carry the chassis ground to it?

Or am I supposed to mount the board, leave PD disconnected, and probe the pins from the front?

Thank you
            Last edited by timtrace; 05-16-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Yes, negative probe/clip on chassis, positive to back-probe with, board mounted and hooked up, just like if you turned tv on for use but with back cover off of course.

Comment

Ok! I had to wait for needle tips to arrive to properly backprobe the connector.

Here are the results of the eBay board. When I connect the mains, it clicks, and about 10s later the panel comes on. Within about 30s the panel powers off and the DET_D3V3 error is indicated on power LED and OPC LED.

It almost never stays up for 40s, so these readings are all taken within 25-30s of the panel being lit.

Off
                Pin 1,2 - continuity beep, then rising to 2.5V
                Pin 3,4 - not wired
                Pin 5,6 - continuity
                Pin 7,8 - not wired
                Pin 9 - 0V
                Pin 10 - 1.3V, relay clicks when probed
                Pin 11 - 4.98V
                Pin 12 - 1.4V until pin 11 probed, then 0V

On
                Pin 1,2 - 12.95V
                Pin 3,4 - not wired
                Pin 5,6 - continuity
                Pin 7,8 - not wired
                Pin 9 - 0V
                Pin 10 - 0V
                Pin 11 - 4.98V
                Pin 12 - 0V

I plan to probe the original panel (which no longer powers on) over the weekend, and perhaps replace the original components.

But ... if this eBay panel works, or is close to working, it might be the path of least resistance to just roll with it.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Comment

Not sure exactly how you are doing it, look at number 2 below for video example of procedure, do test in number 3, try to do it just as instructed, don't forget to give pin "number" and pin "description" you give the number but not label such as ps-on, stby, etc.
                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-21-2020, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I thought this was "funny" about some "glossy" for this set... quote: "Sharp's Ultra Brilliant LED system illuminates the TV to extremely high brightness and contrast levels and enables significant environmental benefits such as longer life expectancy".... :-)

Not withstanding the testing / checks done already... and it may not apply but have you check the leds at least with a checker just in case that may be the cause of the shut down. Based on the "gloss", it may be quite likely that the "high brightness" and "longer life" might not go together... :-)

One thing about your "table of measurements" (aside from the comment about the pin labels), is your comment about "continuity beep, then rise to 2.5v"... this is very strange as that appears to indicate a resistance measurement and not a voltage measurement... thus a question about what and how you are measuring things.
                    Last edited by budwich; 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I've attached a pic of my backprobing technique. I'm using a needle point probe and the meter is in autoranging mode. I'm pulling ground with an alligator clip to the chassis.

The service manual is attached to the first post.

Here are the results (copied from above) with pin descriptions.

Thanks for your help.

Power Off
                      Pin 1 UR13V - continuity beep, then rising to 2.5V
                      Pin 2 UR13V - continuity beep, then rising to 2.5V
                      Pin 3 - not wired, UR13V indicated on diagram
                      Pin 4 - not wired, UR13V indicated on diagram
                      Pin 5 GND - continuity
                      Pin 6 GND - continuity
                      Pin 7 - not wired, GND indicated on diagram
                      Pin 8 - not wired, GND indicated on diagram
                      Pin 9 AC_DET - 0V
                      Pin 10 PS_ON - 1.3V, relay clicks when probed
                      Pin 11 BU5V - 4.98V
                      Pin 12 PNL_ON - 1.4V until pin 11 probed, then 0V

Power On
                      Pin 1 UR13V - 12.95V
                      Pin 2 UR13V - 12.95V
                      Pin 3 - not wired, UR13V indicated on diagram
                      Pin 4 - not wired, UR13V indicated on diagram
                      Pin 5 GND - continuity
                      Pin 6 GND - continuity
                      Pin 7 - not wired, GND indicated on diagram
                      Pin 8 - not wired, GND indicated on diagram
                      Pin 9 AC_DET - 0V
                      Pin 10 PS_ON - 0V
                      Pin 11 BU5V - 4.98V
                      Pin 12 PNL_ON - 0V
                      Attached Files

Comment

You have no ps_on, maybe UNHOOK cable from powerboard to mainboard, leave it off, use about a 1k resistor to jump pins 10 ps-on and 11 bu5v, plug power into power board and at least see if you get your ac_det voltage.

Comment

Maybe test those 4 optos, Ic7900, 7902, 7903, 7905.

Comment

You have no ps_on, maybe UNHOOK cable from powerboard to mainboard, leave it off, use about a 1k resistor to jump pins 10 ps-on and 11 bu5v, plug power into power board and at least see if you get your ac_det voltage.
                            Thank you! That's easy enough.

Problem, though: I'm extremely limited on components on hand. As in, "I have nothing at all," and nothing closer than a 30-mile roundtrip from my home.

I've got a little parts kit coming from Amazon, but it won't be here until Sunday. Is there an even more MacGyver way to test this thing before then?

Comment

It's best policy to use resistors but if you are very careful not to touch anything else you can just use a piece of wire to jump the pins, like 2 alligator clips or some such.
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-21-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Testing optos there, he's kind of hard to understand but there's illustrations so its not too bad, probably more videos on the subject, just a matter of tracking them down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioSwtUZoAA

Comment

"Pin 1 UR13V - continuity beep, then rising to 2.5V" What do you mean by ' continuity beep'?
                                  What is the model of the Fluke meter?
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                    "Pin 1 UR13V - continuity beep, then rising to 2.5V" What do you mean by ' continuity beep'?
                                    What is the model of the Fluke meter?
                                    It's a Fluke 113, I'm using a needle point for the backprobe, and an alligator clip to the chassis for ground. The meter is in autoranging mode.

Comment

It's best policy to use resistors but if you are very careful not to touch anything else you can just use a piece of wire to jump the pins, like 2 alligator clips or some such.
                                      Done. With the PD connector removed, I used an unconnected probe to short PD 10 & 11 (PS_ON and BU5V) by gently pushing it between the pins.

When I connected the mains, the relays clicked.

When I metered PD 9 (AC_DET) with 9 & 10 shorted as described and the mains connected, I got OL on the meter. (I previously reported this as 0V - it actually means open loop)

When I disconnected the mains, the meter began a continuous beep until I pulled the probe off of 9. If I reprobed 9, the beep sounded anew.

Does this shed any light on the problem?
                                      Last edited by timtrace; 05-21-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

You are not using the meter correctly. What range was the meter set to when you are doing these voltage checks? Was it set to ohms or voltage? This is an Electrician's Multimeter not really ment for electronic work.
                                        Last edited by R_J; 05-21-2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X