13-aw0023dx BIOS PWD Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13-aw0023dx BIOS PWD Removal

Got an HP 13-aw0023dx here and the owner set and then forgot the BIOS power on password

For giggles, I tried a BIOS dump someone had posted in an earlier thread for a corrupted BIOS on this same model, which apparently came from a similar but not exactly matching model, but the system doesn't even post with that. I also tried the HP emergency BIOS recovery option (Winkey + B + power) but while it does go through the motions and reflash the BIOS, at the end it still prompts for power on password.

I've attached a dump of the BIOS.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mgrharry; 06-21-2022, 10:02 PM.

Re: 13-aw0023dx BIOS PWD Removal

Originally posted by mgrharry View Post
    Got an HP 13-aw0023dx here and the owner set and then forgot the BIOS power on password

For giggles, I tried a BIOS dump someone had posted in an earlier thread for a corrupted BIOS on this same model, which apparently came from a similar but not exactly matching model, but the system doesn't even post with that. I also tried the HP emergency BIOS recovery option (Winkey + B + power) but while it does go through the motions and reflash the BIOS, at the end it still prompts for power on password.

I've attached a dump of the BIOS.
    use RCUnlocker and unlock it yourself..you don't have the password in this bios ... look for another bios chip on the board ..
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Wasn't aware of this tool, it looks great. I'm wondering though if it works for power on passwords or only BIOS password lock? I can see that it says "missing unlockable content" if I drop my dumped bin file onto it. When I open the bin I uploaded in UEFITool it appears to be structured like a valid BIOS dump, from what I can assess based on my limited familiarity.

I've attached pics of the Winbond chip I dumped and the only other two that look like possible alternate BIOS chips, Winbond 25q80dv1g and MXIC mx25l8008ezni.
      Attached Files

Comment

And attached is the BIN file extracted from the latest HP BIOS download for this model.
        Attached Files

Comment

Odd thing here, I tried flashing a BIOS from a previous posting (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1000108) for the same model that the OP had said worked but was slow to boot and displayed mfg mode msg and got no post. reflashed the original bios dump and it still doesn't post. it will occasionally boot into bios restore mode with winkey + b and go through a restoring bios process but then it shuts off and won't post again for a number of tries. Trying to understand how the BIOS backup restore feature works on this model and what it may have to do with the issues I'm having. Any thoughts?

Comment

Odd thing here, I tried flashing a BIOS from a previous posting (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1000108) for the same model that the OP had said worked but was slow to boot and displayed mfg mode msg and got no post. reflashed the original bios dump and it still doesn't post. it will occasionally boot into bios restore mode with winkey + b and go through a restoring bios process but then it shuts off and won't post again for a number of tries. Trying to understand how the BIOS backup restore feature works on this model and what it may have to do with the issues I'm having. Any thoughts?

use version 086F9 from post # 4 in this thread.. if you have the same motherboard.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1000108
            Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

Comment

I tried that 086F9 bios and it doesn't post. Also when I restore my original BIOS dump back to the chip it still doesn't post. I can get it to go to BIOS recovery mode by holding Winkey + B while pushing power button and it goes through the motions of restoring the BIOS backup but they instead of rebooting it just powers off and won't post again.

Comment

Main BIOS chip is highlighted. Is there another chip I need to dump / reprogram?

Comment

Main BIOS chip is highlighted. Is there another chip I need to dump / reprogram?
                  Check this marked one.
                  Attached Files
                  I don't provide help for people using CH341A and a clip.

Comment

OK, that highlighted chip is an MX25L8006. A dump is attached
                    Attached Files

Comment

Anyone know what purpose this MX25L8006 chip serves on this board?

Comment

Anyone know what purpose this MX25L8006 chip serves on this board?
                        MX25L8006 is not bios chip. Check below picture, it's look like a WSON chip. Lets me know name of that chip
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by hoaca388; 07-20-2022, 05:57 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                        Become a Badcaps supporter
                        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                        Thanks to all supporters.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

I've attached a photo indicating the chip model for the two WSON chips on top of board.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Try read data of both wson chips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Dump of 25q80dv is attached. I uploaded dump of mx25l8006 in a previous post.
                              Attached Files

Comment

If your model is HP Specter x360 - 13-aw0023dx, chip bios must be 16MB (eg 25Q 128.. with Winbond chip).
                                Last edited by hoaca388; 07-22-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I tried the bios dump you posted, hp-13-aw0023dx-pwd-unlocked.zip, but get only quarter fan spin and short power cycle, no post. You also posted this EC bin file however, but I'm not sure which chip this is for?

On the bottom of board there is SLB9670 TPM chip next to IT5570VG-256
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Also, to return to a previous question, I'm trying to understand how the system seems to be in a worse state now than it was originally. I backed up the primary winbond bios file (dump was attached to original post), then tried flashing the 086F9 bios recommended by peste and but it did not post. Normally I would think that should be no problem, since I had made a backup of the bios before any modifications, and I reflashed that original bios backup, which should have restored the system back to it's power on password protected status. Instead, the system would no longer post normally, and the only way I could get a response out of it was to startup with Winkey+B whereby it would go through the motions of performing a BIOS restore from previous version, but at the end it still would not post. So clearly what I had thought of as a safeguard, backing up the main bios chip, was not sufficient in this case. What explains that?

And thanks to peste, smdflea and everyone else for suggestions, just finding this one to be a headscratcher.

Comment

Also, to return to a previous question, I'm trying to understand how the system seems to be in a worse state now than it was originally. I backed up the primary winbond bios file (dump was attached to original post), then tried flashing the 086F9 bios recommended by peste and but it did not post. Normally I would think that should be no problem, since I had made a backup of the bios before any modifications, and I reflashed that original bios backup, which should have restored the system back to it's power on password protected status. Instead, the system would no longer post normally, and the only way I could get a response out of it was to startup with Winkey+B whereby it would go through the motions of performing a BIOS restore from previous version, but at the end it still would not post. So clearly what I had thought of as a safeguard, backing up the main bios chip, was not sufficient in this case. What explains that?

And thanks to peste, smdflea and everyone else for suggestions, just finding this one to be a headscratcher.
                                        I think you wrote or read the bios chips with errors..from the beginning when you read the bios chip you read it with errors..that's why when you put back the one with the password (original) the screen is black...or maybe not did you stick the bios chips well.. which programmer did you use?? if you use this clip it gives errors... you have to remove the chip from the motherboard before reading or writing..

Comment

Working...
                                        X