Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Omen 17-w010ca, Quanta G37A

Hi there,
    I need some help to fix HP Omen 17, Quanta G37A laptop (no history, signs of "inspection") no power, AC LED off when the adapter is plugged-in.
    Following piernov guide: with original HP power adapter, measured the voltages at DC_JACK and found +VDD =19.6V , AD_ID =0.60V.
    Next, +VAD at drain of 2nd MOSFET (PQ1003) is 19.5V and 0V at source and drain! Resistance of source to ground 16.3 ohms!
    Voltages at PU1001 (BQ24738): ACDET= 2.60V, REGN= 5.95V and VCC=19.0V, CMSRC=0V !
    So, is it "short to ground on main power rail" case?
    Attached Files

Re: HP Omen 17-w010ca, Quanta G37A

Sorry...0V at PQ1003 source and gate (not drain)!

Comment

Hi,

Do we have full schematic
      is your laptop working with battery only?

There is probably short circuit in main rail

Check voltage on all pins of charging ic with adapter plugin only and write here
      and you can not give 19v to motherboard for longer time for safety reasons as mosfet is getting the hit
      So measure in one go
      Last edited by stingerchamp; 12-17-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Re: HP Omen 17-w010ca, Quanta G37A, dead

Yes, I have the schematics from this forum :
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123395
        I don't have a charged battery to check...and I reported already the voltages on charger IC (lots are missing)...no visible liquid or other damages on this board
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-11-2023, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Voltage on acpress pin
          Voltage on acin
          Check voltage RTC_rst# and srtc_rst# and
          At r132 rsmrst#

What is voltage on coil , is 3.3v and 5v present

In cold state

Check impedance of each coil
          It should be above 300ohm for 3.3,5,1.8, ram coil
          Last edited by stingerchamp; 12-17-2020, 09:07 PM. Reason: Looked at schematic

Comment

In addition to above you Have 0.60v at ad-id

What is the wattage of your adapter, is it origional
            For 150 watt adapter it should be 1 volt

Comment

Resistance of source to ground 16.3 ohms!-Clear cut indication of short in +19V rail. Remove PR1008 and see if shorting on PQ1003 Source side goes away. Inject not more then 1V,1Amp at shorted side of PR1008 and see what gets hot. You can increase the amp upto 5A if nothing gets hot but voltage should not excedd 1V, else the SOC may get damaged.

Comment

With this value of resistance to ground, there's a high chance of shorted high-side MOSFET. So before trying to inject voltage, you have to measure resistance between +VIN and all the large inductors, and pay attention to anything that's lower than a few ohms.
                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks mcplslg and piernov for your support...I removed PR1008 and there is no short on PQ1003 source...
                  Using power supply (PWC 0620) injected 0.7V and current close to minimum! Power up and the maximum current draw was only 70mA...
                  Increased to 1V and current was 100mA (also measured with a digital multimeter). No components will get hot at this point!
                  Before removing the PR1008, noticed PQ1003 has a discoloration on pin 1 ...MTester show diode (drain-source) ...should I remove it ? or could be IC charger defective ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, there was a misunderstood.
                    Last edited by Sephir0th; 12-18-2020, 12:23 PM.
                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

PWC-0620 is not suitable for the job in hand as it has max 3A .You need to pump more amp (not voltage) to increase current. Else go by the @piernov's suggestion. Very likely high side mosfet is bad or charger IC but it could be a capcator as well. Why not measure resistance of all coils with VIN.?

Comment

OK, I measured the resistance between +VIN and CPU coils and the value is 6.8 to 7.3 ohm, but GPU coils (PL9005, 9001 and 9004) have 0.0 ohms !!!
                        I will borrow a proper power supply and see which MOSFET is defective ! Thanks again!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Now check which mosfet is shorted connected to PL9005/9001/9004

Comment

In general the shorted MOSFET will also have gate shorted to drain/source. So measure resistance between G1/D1 or between G1/S1 of each MOSFET for GPU VCore..

Comment

Well, I think we are going somewhere with this project... PQ9006 has 0.0 ohms resistance between G1 and D1 pins (as you can see the surface looks slightly different than others two !) . Now, I can not find any info regarding this MOSFET labeled FDG38AB! Is it an old Fairchild MOSFET ?. As per schematics should be two dual AOE6930 30V (22 and 85A)...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here`s the datasheet. Fairchild is now part of ON semi

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...44436d5213.pdf

Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-20-2020, 02:17 PM.
                                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thanks again guys for this clarification...FDPC5030SG is kind of hard to find... based on the datasheet, it can be substitute with FDPC5018SG (avail at Digi-key) ... do I have to replace PQ9002 and 9003 with new one ?

Comment

If you pull one out and test it and its dead, yeah, replace both.

Comment

If you use a different part number you have to replace all 3 with the same part number.
                                      FDPC5018SG may work but it has a much higher input capacitance for the low-side MOSFET (since it's rated for higher currents), so it's harder to drive and slower. Hopefully it's fine but can't say for sure.
                                      Always better to use the exact same part number as the original in these multi-phase buck converters.
                                      Also in any case the MOSFET driver PU9002 has to be replaced at the same time.

Comment

Hi again,
                                        The good news is I got FDPC5030SG MOSFET and replaced the shorted one ...now, the bad news is: the new one looks shorted in the same place (Gate1 and Drain1... the mobo did not even power up) ...so back to square one!...that means the short is still there. Without the PQ9006 in place, the coils 9005, 9001 and 9004 show only 6.0 ohm resistance to ground (previously 0 ohm). After all, I have to inject up to 1V to see what part is getting hot...could be the GPU chip ???

Comment

Working...
                                        X