Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "leaked" Windows 11

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    What I'm worried about, is that Microsoft, possibly perm-banned X79.
    Even worse, if they perm-banned X99 and the later ultra-high-end-platforms from Intel, with quad-channel-SDRAM-support.

It's one thing to perm-ban P43 and P45, which are socket 775, as nobody even runs 10 with them, usually, TMK! (and everything with DDR2)

For socket 775=Better stay with Windows 7, or go to Linux!
    I have a customer with W10 on a P43, 6gb of ram and a C2D 6750 (and obviously and SSD)

seems to work fine
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The question should be, as always, "does it leak" vs "was it a leak."
      Or, "is water wet?"

RJ, I'll see your W7, and raise you XP.
      Especially on P43 & P45. There are... ways of making it work.

Attached Files
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

microsoft's problem is they think the start of "Johny Mnemonic" is something to aim for.
        no need for a keyboard or screen, just a pair of nintendo power gloves, a vr headset and a microsoft compatable vaccine.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzRjtvMQds4

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          microsoft's problem is they think the start of "Johny Mnemonic" is something to aim for.
          no need for a keyboard or screen, just a pair of nintendo power gloves, a vr headset and a microsoft compatable vaccine.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzRjtvMQds4
          Because in 1995, we all knew they would still be using fax machines for primary commutations instead of a different messaging system in 2021

Comment

Ok, now that was funny.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              Because in 1995, we all knew they would still be using fax machines for primary commutations instead of a different messaging system in 2021
              Microsoft's problem is basically that they are now, and have been for a while, a bunch of followers. They really don't have the nerve anymore to do anything groundbreaking. Apple changed and took over industries with the iPod and later the iPhone. Google saw the long term threat to their eyeballs from the iPhone and made Android. Microsoft should have had at least an advantage with business users because of lock-in due to the office suite, but who took the business phone users? Blackberry at first, but Windows Mobile was never a serious contender.

Microsoft's biggest contribution in relatively recent years to the hardware space was the Microsoft Mouse. It was a great piece of hardware, high quality, a great product, it took what was wrong with the existing mice, corrected them all and entended (a little).

How sad is that? Their main vision is to basically protect the dwindling market they have and sometimes make a half hearted attempt to break into other markets. If communications / computers are going to change much in the coming years, Microsoft won't be leading the charge.

Comment

Microsoft is still the main business angle.

Job Requirements:
                Open office on an Unbutu linux distro

(instead of office on windows 10, like most big corps do for regular jagoffs)

better yet

college classes:
                mysql on linux

(instead of Access on microsoft server)

95% of everyone is trained for windows and office. Rest that aren't are higher end system admins

Comment

Well, considering that they are really pushing office online, it might be:

Ubuntu Desktop with Cloud MS Office. But probably not considering you get Windows bundled with most machines, but that's changing. The more likely angle is that Google is nipping at their heels with chromebooks, and TBH, they are pretty functional. It wouldn't surprise me to see Google's cloud suite supplant MS Office one day, all because MS ignored the lower end of the market. I don't have much hope for liber office, they are trying to be a good MS Office clone for computers that likely already have MS Office on them.

What are they teaching in k-12 today? Chromebooks and google's cloud programs.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                    Well, considering that they are really pushing office online, it might be:

Ubuntu Desktop with Cloud MS Office. But probably not considering you get Windows bundled with most machines, but that's changing. The more likely angle is that Google is nipping at their heels with chromebooks, and TBH, they are pretty functional. It wouldn't surprise me to see Google's cloud suite supplant MS Office one day, all because MS ignored the lower end of the market. I don't have much hope for liber office, they are trying to be a good MS Office clone for computers that likely already have MS Office on them.

What are they teaching in k-12 today? Chromebooks and google's cloud programs.
                    This x2. If wondering why, look at the licensing fees of M$ versus anyone else.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      they still use fax machines in japan and other country's that use symbolic languages.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        they still use fax machines in japan and other country's that use symbolic languages.
                        We still do in the US too... mainly due to fax being such a "hard" standard that faxed docs still carry the legal power of any signatures, while a regular scanned file doesn't (due to it being so easy to forge/modify). I've had to fax time sheets for my previous employer (field retail work, signature needed to ensure people get paid for their work and that the stores we worked in approved our work)... and all sorts of docs when I bought my house. Not to say fax can't be hacked, but it takes a lot more effort than a 2 year old and MS paint to cause trouble.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          This x2. If wondering why, look at the licensing fees of M$ versus anyone else.
                          But that's not really it either. MS has almost token pricing for educational use. Not that long ago, when I was getting my MBA, I bought an educational copy of Windows and Office and the price was under $30 for both IIRC. The real money is the difference is hardware required for each. Look at the price for a chromebook that runs pretty quick, and look at the price for a laptop that runs windows quick. There's your real savings.

Again, MS ignores the low end at their peril.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                            But that's not really it either. MS has almost token pricing for educational use. Not that long ago, when I was getting my MBA, I bought an educational copy of Windows and Office and the price was under $30 for both IIRC. The real money is the difference is hardware required for each. Look at the price for a chromebook that runs pretty quick, and look at the price for a laptop that runs windows quick. There's your real savings.

Again, MS ignores the low end at their peril.
                            I would see licensing costs being a small part of it.....hardware cost being the other part. Chromebooks are cheap compared to even EDU pricing on a palletload of new Dell Win10 netbooks. I don't see one 'cloud' really being any better than the other....they're all on par with eachother there IMO. They all spy on you the same, require clumsy annoying accounts, and can type letters and research papers with the best of them. IMHO, the others just 'caught up' to M$....and here we are.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              I would see licensing costs being a small part of it.....hardware cost being the other part. Chromebooks are cheap compared to even EDU pricing on a palletload of new Dell Win10 netbooks. I don't see one 'cloud' really being any better than the other....they're all on par with eachother there IMO. They all spy on you the same, require clumsy annoying accounts, and can type letters and research papers with the best of them. IMHO, the others just 'caught up' to M$....and here we are.
                              Exactly. I'm kind of surprised to see MS jump on the spyware bandwagon, that could have been their selling point. Sure, you could go with google, but do you trust them? Nope, instead, MS is also trying to pick up some pennies. That's Apple's angle right now. Apple is much more expensive, but they are certainly making the right noises about protecting users.

But yeah, for any functional dell latitude, you are likely looking at $1500 for something with decent specs. You could probably get 5 chromebooks for that price. That's not to say that there aren't downsides to chromebooks (short lifespan, few software updates, etc) but generally, chromebooks are almost disposable, so maybe no one cares about chromebooks being EOL after 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X