Vizio e601i-a3 No image, backlight flashes and shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio e601i-a3 No image, backlight flashes and shuts off

STUMPED!! I have a e601i that originally showed v logo and shut down. I used a tester on LCDs and all *seemed* ok.

Currently I have no image not even with flashlight check and the backlights flicker when turned on, red light on main comes on at same time, lights go bright and shut off within a minute. After about 4 mins the red light on main comes back on and then goes off after about 5 mins, voltages are non existent when it comes back on. I replaced both the T-con and main still same issue.

Voltages are correct while power stays on. I have verified known fault(s) on t-con do not exist.I have disconnected LVDS cables and it does same.

I can't help but wonder if this is an IC issue on the power board (LED driver) or if the LEDs themselves have an issue even though they appear to be ok.

I guess it's coming to process of elimination, the power board hasn't been changed but seems that's the last option. I'd rather do a component repair but have spent way too much time already on this alligator, just wanted to win the battle.

Input or prior experience with this unit greatly appreciated -thank you.

Re: Vizio e601i-a3 No image, backlight flashes and shuts off

Flash of backlights is a symptom of bad backlights. A typical LED tester only puts out about 20mA while the TV can run at several hundred. If you have the TV apart, observe/video record the backlights when they flash. You should be able to determine which LEDs (individual or banks) are not coming on. I would just replace all of them with new. Looks like that model is edge lit and does have a history of LED failures.

Comment

Yeah...I'm kinda thinking that too. They all lit up but I'm thinking there's gotta be one or more that are ready to fail. I will try another power board and if that doesn't fix it then I'll put new lights in. Would you know if this set requires back lights to function first before allowing screen to come on?

Comment

I replaced the power board (third one) and this one is good because the back lights came on, no flicker & stayed on. Apparently the 2 other boards were defective, surprisingly one of them was from shopjimmy. I'm hoping by looking at this one I can figure out what is bad on the original power board and fix it.

I still do not have an image even though I have correct voltage (12v) to the t-com and some output voltages from the t-con, just not sure where those voltages should be and what they should be. Not all test points have voltage or some have extremely minimal under 1 volt. This TV is weird that it has 2 LVDS cables to the t-con, so I can't even test the panel with a panel tester. Didn't find any shorts on the driver boards.
        Last edited by repair-it; 07-10-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X