Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rz09-0329 Charges only in windows and disabling controller

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
    Seems like dry soldering somewhere in charging circuit. Put some good quality flux on charging Ic and surrounding components and gently heat a bit and check again.
    I just did a full reflow with flux. The whole area, and made sure I could move the ic to make sure it was in fact a reflow. After that, it charged for about 60 seconds then started to fail again, this time it would charge for a few seconds, then say it was disconnected for a few seconds, then say it was connected but no charging animation. Then randomly the animation would start for a few seconds, and repeat. Each time anything changed, the led animation of the keyboard would reset (I am guessing as it should when disconnecting the charger and changing profiles).

Comment

Replace the IC.

Comment

I will be ordering the IC, it will take about a month to arrive. Here is a video I took today. I am probing the dual mosfet that charges the battery, probing before the inductor. You can see it working, then stops, then working with fuzzy lines, then working correctly, and all over again. Since the charge IC controls this, I am guessing it has to be it. If it were a problem with the EC or something else, it would get this "fuzz" right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrsXhTrY_z4

Comment

The IC has been changed, and I get the exact same issues.

Comment

That's because you don't have a charging circuit issue but a power management issue. Replace the KBC chip and it'll be all good.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I was thinking KBC, but wanted to try cheaper options first. I actually have it working, I swapped the charge IC again (got a pack of 10), and with this one it would not turn on without the battery plugged in (the dual power mosfets form 19v would not turn on). Then I swapped it a third time, and everything is working. So I see three options, one is that the IC's are not the best quality and the last one installed was a good one. Two, I didn't solder correctly (although I have soldered tens of Nintendo switch controller ic's (similar) and hundreds of xbox 360 and one mosfets and controllers). Or three, there is a problem with the KBC and the heat from swapping the IC has affected something in it.

Any suggestions on how to test it? It has been working for a full 12hours, and still charges. Before swapping the IC, the best I saw was about 10 minutes of random charging.

Comment

Okay, so after almost 24 hours, the laptop failed again. So maybe KBC? The weird thing is, this time the charge IC is shorted (gets hot and does not turn on ac circuit). So I swapped it once more, and now back to the normal power but no charge situation.

How could I go about testing the KBC? Or what else to check? I can't keep ordering parts, waiting a month just to see if it works.

Could it be corrupted KBC programming? (although I don't think it would work randomly if it were corrupt). From what I understand they are programmed to each laptop.

Comment

Where does the ACOK signal come from? Is it a signal going to the charger IC or coming from the charger IC?

I ask since there seems to be an issue there. In one of my first posts, it was at around 3 volts, so didnt seem like an issue, but today the laptop will not power on at all without the battery connected, so I redid all my tests, and ACOK has no voltage. After probing around the resistor it comes/goes to it came back and now it will boot with only the charger. Maybe something about this signal is messed up? It should be a constant 3 volts always while connected right? I am 100% sure it was missing but could boot with the battery, then 100% sure it was back and could boot without battery. Now I can't get it to fail again...

P.S. The whole area has been reflown, so I doubt it is a solder issue.

Comment

OK, so I removed the resistor seperating two sides of the ACOK line, and for my surprise, both sides have 3 volts. But the side the goes to the charger IC will start to flicker (seen on oscilloscope) when there is random bursts sent to the charge mosfet. I also have random flickering on pin 19 (prog) at the same time as the ACOK line. I am stumped.

Comment

So, I have replaced the IC once more, making sure every solder joint is perfect. I am back to the start, sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't, it mostly charges while the motherboard is out of the laptop, and only battery and charger connected.

Sometimes the charging mosfets (dual mosfet) gets a weird signal distortion on the gate, and I am guessing if I find the issue causing it, I will find the main issue. Here is a photo I took of the oscilloscope, probing the gate of the high side of the mosfet. Any ideas of what could cause this distortion? It soes it randomly. Besides this, sometimes I get a good square wave (good charging) and sometimes a flat line (when it stops charging, even with a low battery).

Comment

It's the KBC. BQ24720s charging IC is notorious for both failing often and shoddy replacement parts. At my former workplace they thought they got a good deal on them - out of a lot of 10, 2 or 3 would be good. Worse, they bought like 100 of them. Was a lot of fun until that lot ran out... And more fun afterwards as due to high demand the sales dept would clear the stock and deprive us repair techs for a week or two.
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          It's the KBC. BQ24720s charging IC is notorious for both failing often and shoddy replacement parts. At my former workplace they thought they got a good deal on them - out of a lot of 10, 2 or 3 would be good. Worse, they bought like 100 of them. Was a lot of fun until that lot ran out... And more fun afterwards as due to high demand the sales dept would clear the stock and deprive us repair techs for a week or two.
                          Can you please elaborate on how it could be the KBC? By KBC you mean the ec right? If so, how could that affect the mosfet gate signal? Also, you mention a BQ chip and how they are notorious of failing, why would you mention that if it is a KBC problem? And I have an ISL not BQ, so now I am even more confused. Why would it start charging any time I start to probe around the ISL area?

If the KBC were an easy component to swithc I would just go ahead and do it, but it is a bga type, that I would have to order, plus order a programmer, and find the bin file to program. All too much for something I have not confirmed. If there is a way to confirm an ec problem, then I would go ahead and order everything (minus the bin file which I can't seem to fins).
                          Last edited by liquidzorch; 08-29-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                            Issue with buying this stuff from Aliexpress is that you can get good stuff one day and garbage the next day.
                            Chip Quik SMD291 is also a good flux and it should be easy to order in most places.
                            You're right there. But all of them having the exact same issue as the original one? so far only two have acted differently (not turning on at all). The other 5 I have installed have all done the exact same thing as the original issue: sometimes charge, sometimes not and sometimes not turn on without the battery. Plus having the issue of a distorted gate signal (seen above) randomly. I think it would have to be a huge coincidence that all of them fail in the exact same way as the original one.

So it must be something on the board (I am guessing), the question is what could cause all these issues?

Comment

Sorry it seems like I somehow managed to post my previous answer in the wrong thread, I moved it.
                              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Consider yourself lucky that you have an ISL then, you can be sure that's not the issue.

The Lenovo KBC chips come pre-programmed so firmware is not an issue. The reason why it starts working when you probe the charging circuit is because charging chips have both hardware charging controls (pins) and a data bus from the KBC.

Comment

It is a Razer Blade, not Lenovo. Do you think it will still come pre-programmed? The chip is a IT8225VG-128.

Also, is there any way to force the ISL to work without communication from the KBC? (Just to verify that there is no other issues and order it).

Comment

Two additional questions, if anyone knows:

- Can I read the full EC bin from windows and compare it to the EC update file extracted from the updater? Just to check for corruption.

- Does the EC also control the Wifi on/off? This laptop has no wifi button, but once I got a "turn on your wifi" message in windows, after a reboot it worked, so I never thought of it again. Only happened once in over a month of usage.

Comment

ısl95520hrz equivalent please

Comment

Working...
                                      X