Sony experts? 2nd bricked BAT Board after firmware update KDL-55EX720

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony experts? 2nd bricked BAT Board after firmware update KDL-55EX720

So I bought another main board from eBay and the same thing happened.

I got the firmware file from the Sony website. My model was listed and everything matched.

sony_tvupdate_2011_4027_aaa_auth.zip was the file.

Extracted to a folder: "sony_dtv0FA10A01A0A1_00000301"
    with file: 00000301_07e8046a.bin inside.

Loaded it into the root of an otherwise empty USB thumbnail bought from around the same time as the TV. Not too old, not too new.. under 2Gig.

The file reads perfectly. Lots of "disk activity" for plenty of time.
    All kinds of reassuring new and fun LED combinations, like it's all working.
    Eventually the USB stops reading, like the TV is now writing. More reassuring LED blinks...
    But after a few minutes I get 8 red blinks. Which means bad firmware.

From this point on, there is no possibility of going back, because the USB will never activate again. This is the dead end I reach.

Could Sony have different firmware files for use on a working TV (to update it) as opposed to the file a service technician would use? Seems like a rotten thing for Sony to do, but I guess it's understandable.

By the way, the TV works with its original board. The problem is the HDMI chip is bad from a lightning strike. It gets hot and shuts down the set after a few minutes.

Re: Sony experts? 2nd bricked BAT Board after firmware update KDL-55EX720

Swap the HDMI ic

Comment

Yeah, that's the plan. Have to get a smaller tip for my old Weller. Or a new iron.
      Suggestions? I have a heat gun already.

Comment

Possibly a bad block on the flash. Possibly a faulty flash chip.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Or a bad download
          I use Weller and Hakko (de)soldering stations, heat gun. Never looked back.
          Last edited by CapLeaker; 07-18-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I guess it will remain a mystery...
            At least I can use them for donors for the HDMI chip.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Or a bad download
              I use Weller and Hakko (de)soldering stations, heat gun. Never looked back.
              Yep, looks like I/O error or source file corrupted.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I don't agree much with the bad block theory, too much a bad fate on both boards. Are you sure the file must be in the root of pen drive? A bit strange zip file contains a folder and it is of no use..

Comment

Hi, the notification that someone replied to this must have gone to my spam folder...

So since my last post, I tried replacing the HDMI chip. It would have worked, I think, BUT I stupidly dragged the bad HDMI chip a bit on the board while trying to remove it and dislodged a half a dozen tiny bypass caps and input resistors. These tiny parts were about the size of a black pepper flake.

So I just received a THIRD board I bought on eBay for $100 because I refuse to give up.
                  This time the board was taken from the exact same model and all of the connectors match perfectly. It also came with the TCON and other related board.

My current results are, the sound of snow (white noise) but a black screen with the panel back-illuminated.

I've tried every factory reset combination I can find including the one that used to work (up arrow on remote and power button on the TV) and it's the same.
                  It continues to play (black screen) and has no error LEDs at all.

I'll be blank blanked if I'm going to try the same USB firmware update method a third time, since I can still return this board since I didn't have to damage any connectors.

Thoughts?

This is the website with the instructions I followed btw:
                  https://docplayer.net/138705177-Serv...e-upgrade.html

Also, I forgot to mention, I tried getting into the Service Mode "Display" + “5” + “Volume Up” + “Power."
                  This also used to work but nothing happens when I do this now. At least nothing that I can see since the screen is black.

EDIT: Also this is the file I used:
                  https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0010145

Folder name: sony_dtv0FA10A01A0A1_00000301

File name: 00000301_07e8046a.bin

It's been so long since I started this... I'm double checking that this is even the correct file.
                  Last edited by thesteve; 10-04-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

This ma.bo. works but there's a fault on panel's distribution boards.

Comment

Hi this post was a continuation of another post where I mentioned that the TV and all it's boards function perfectly except that the HDMI select chip heats up.
                      That's why I'm replacing the B* board and how I know the other boards are fine.

I re-read the instructions on replacing the B* board from the service manuals I could find, and it looks like there's no getting around re-flashing the firmware, even if it's a board from the same model.
                      But another step I see I may have missed is, after flashing the firmware, you're supposed to go into the Digital service menu and reprogram the specifics for the Model and Product ID.
                      I took pictures of all of this info from the screen the last time the TV was working with the original board.

My plan tonight is to try one of the other good boards that I thought I bricked, and see if I can't get into the service menu. I may have just skipped that step.

Comment

Sorry, well so your last mainboard is not completely compatible with the original one because panel setting is not ok, i have never replaced sony boards but if it is the same as Samsung, you have to match the correct version of board that is printed on a label. Same tv models can have different panels.

Comment

I don't think you can re-use a Sony main board. I'd like to hear an expert tell me they've actually done it.

The service manual actually threatens the technician with legal action. Something to do with encryption.

But like you say... I finally found the section of the service manual that half-way explains it and there are all sorts of codes and numbers that have to be set in the service mode. But I can't get into service mode.
                          I tried one of the older boards that I re-flashed (firmware) through the USB and it's brain dead. There's no way to enter any service menu.

I contacted the eBay seller and am requesting a refund. : (
                          I'm not risking $100 on that USB process again.
                          Last edited by thesteve; 10-05-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Are you a tech or an amateur? What do you mean for "re-use ...." Maybe we are not understanding ourselves..

Comment

I was a professional technician in the early 90's to pay for college. Now I'm an electrical engineer, so you can call me an amateur.

On page 24 of "Service Procedure for Panel, Board and Software Change / Upgrade" from Sony for the AZ2 CHASSIS it says:

Warning Note:
                              *Because the ID for identifying the device is installed on the BAT board of FTV, never attempt to mount the BAT board removed from a customer's set onto another set. (The ID information is used in BIV-IPTV or NDD.)
                              *In addition, BAT board reuse in unauthorized way is also prohibited. When use external HDD for USB, cannot play recorded contents.
                              Note: In the worst case it may lead to legal action.

So this tells me Sony expects only a new main board to be used.

I know my chassis is AZ1-L, but I haven't found the proper document with main board/panel replacement instructions.

Comment

My question is, is there a sticker with some printed codes? Maybe the research of an used board can rely on that code, like usually in other brands. For the re-use question, its absolutely normal to buy used boards, manufacturers does not produce spare parts i think, the new boards comes from shop disasters..

Comment

I'm still learning. I do know there is a number for the panel printed on a barcode on my panel that matches a number that comes up in the service menu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10L6...ew?usp=sharing

I couldn't match any numbers from the main board though in the service menu.

This is the document I've been trying to understand:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...52e603fef6.pdf

As far as parts, Sony makes new boards for replacement parts. Just not for long... I'm sure the main board for my TV from 2011 is No Longer Available(NLA).

I also know systems can be hacked.
                                  For example, Porsche will tell you that you can't reuse a used instrument cluster, but have to buy new. Also the ignition key.
                                  But I know for a fact that folks out there know how to recode instrument clusters and even keys with special software/hardware.
                                  Last edited by thesteve; 10-05-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Yes i watched briefly the pdf, it is well explained all passages..

Comment

Sony mainboards are re-usable but Sony does not want autorised repairshops to do that, that is why there is a notification in the service manuals. There are a few things you should know when you replace an mainboard.
                                      1 The serialnumber can't be changed, once the number is loaded it's write protected in the factory.
                                      2 When you want to use the mainboard in a set with the same modelnumber there is no problem and it would work without problems. If the display has a different number or screensize you must re-load the firmware so the software can "connect" the mainboard to the t-con/display.

Bad blocks is not an isue, "end of lifetime" however is, I seen a lot of Sony's with that problem. If this model has those EMMC's onboard I don't know exactly.

Comment

When i have fixed years ago a KDL-60EX700 i saw that on the tcon board there was some i2c eproms, one of them reported inside the same ASCII string with panel model num. that appears in the service menu, so i think that mai board can read this eprom and must match with mainboard programming.

Comment

Working...
                                        X