Reballing Toshiba L500D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reballing Toshiba L500D

Another one done today, first time getting help from the camera i just installed on the BGA station at work. I must say it helps a lot. A clean job with no issues.

I have also replaced the thermal pad with an aluminum shim before putting the laptop back together.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Reballing Toshiba L500D

Fantastic work!

How much do those L500Ds go for in Romania? I had an opportunity to buy a Toshiba Core2 that would most likely need nothing more than a Nec-Tokin replacement for $30. I wonder how much I could flip it for.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
      We just sold one for $200 (AUD) at work recently, although we upgraded it to windows 7 (with a proper COA and the like).

If you sell it running Vista? Zip. You can't even give a vista or XP machine away here. Funnily enough, I've never actually had a Tokin cap failure on an L300 before. We sold quite a few back in the day, and they have been a very reliable laptop.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 09-17-2015, 08:45 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        ^
        We just sold one for $200 (AUD) at work recently, although we upgraded it to windows 7 (with a proper COA and the like).

If you sell it running Vista? Zip. You can't even give a vista or XP machine away here. Funnily enough, I've never actually had a Tokin cap failure on an L300 before. We sold quite a few back in the day, and they have been a very reliable laptop.
        Very nice. 7 aint a problem at all. It's just a matter of flashing an SLIC BIOS.

I imagine upgrading the CPU to something more powerful like a T8100 and 4GB of RAM might make it even more attractive.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Nah, that was with the stock BIOS and a Pentium T4200 CPU. You don't need to update the BIOS to run 7 at all.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Another one done today, first time getting help from the camera i just installed on the BGA station at work. I must say it helps a lot. A clean job with no issues.

I have also replaced the thermal pad with an aluminum shim before putting the laptop back together.

is that foil around really needed? i never using it and never have a problrm

Comment

^^ It's not absolutely required but it is possible to melt plastic connectors or incompletely reflow other parts in the vicinity of the chip you are working on. The rework station that i am using now has a 60x60mm top heater so i play it safe and cover stuff up.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

Good job.
                What ccd camera you bought , i bought this cam but come to me without lens and have problem .
                Can you suggest me any link or model?
                Attached Files

Comment

I bought the cheapest crappiest webcam with LED light and manual focus, it is actually good enough for the job. Added the 2 missing LEDs (it was supposed to have 3, but it only had 1 inside) and it's all i need.

I have also devised a high-tech mounting system comprised of packaging foam and double adhesive tape.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Nah, that was with the stock BIOS and a Pentium T4200 CPU. You don't need to update the BIOS to run 7 at all.
                    The SLIC lets you activate Windows without a COA. If the laptop has a Vista sticker, then the laptop shipped with an SLIC 2.0 BIOS. So if you want to go to 7, you update it to an SLIC 2.1 BIOS (Which is usually modified by a 3rd party - though the big manufacturers are known to sometimes release BIOS updates for Vista models that have an updated SLIC 2.1 table).

Comment

Working...
                    X