X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    Definitely Macron. This is why I hate people on flea-bay. Of course as you can imagine, the description was "This PSU is in perfect working condition, pulled from working computer, with no refund and absolutely no return!" Uh huh...I plugged it into the wall just with a paperclip to turn it on and it powered up fine with a HORRENDOUS whining sound. Can anyone guess why? He's lucky I was going to recap it anyways....I did the other bidder a favor by outbidding them. It's hardly better than the Macron you posted momaka. However it is a dual layer PCB, has huge 1200uF input caps, 3 MOV's, dual 16A schottky instead of ultra fasts, and dual 40A schottky for the 5V. I love all the 12.5mm cap slots though! Look at the capacitances they used. A 6,800uF cap and 2,200uF on the 3.3V Single 4,700uF on the 12V, and two 4,700uF on the 5V. Unfortunately no coils for the 12V. But since this is a good design, I think a 4,700uF 16V Panasonic FR will do on the 12V. I'll also upgrade the 12V rectifiers to two 30A schottky. Then, it will be one solid PSU! It has two fans and they're both Superred ball bearing. Also worth noting is, the manufacture date on the chassis was January, 2008. But, look at the dates on the transformers and fans! Man, talk about new old stock...Must have got a surplus. They also gave it a 2 year warranty. Pretty brave if you ask me considering the old and shitty caps they decided to use.

This must be why they decided to use a 25V cap.
    Did you measure the input caps to see if they really are 1200uF?!
    That's more capacitance than my switching bench PSU, and that thing makes the lights dim a bit when turning it on :P

Nice. GoldLink caps are such trash. Even the pre-Teapo Luxon outlived them. I'd put GL down there with FUhjyyu/Sacon in terms of quality.
    Yes they are TOTAL junk.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
      What switching transistors does it use?
      Same as momaka's, 2SC3320. I do have some SC4130's though rated at 18A.
      Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      Did you measure the input caps to see if they really are 1200uF?!
      That's more capacitance than my switching bench PSU, and that thing makes the lights dim a bit when turning it on :P
      I'll measure them. I think they will be ~1,200uF.

Comment

I think it can output 500W quite easily.

Comment

I think you're right, since c_hegge's did 350W with 10A switchers, smaller input caps, worse heatsinks, and weaker rectifiers.

Comment

This is why I hate people on flea-bay. Of course as you can imagine, the description was "This PSU is in perfect working condition, pulled from working computer, with no refund and absolutely no return!" Uh huh...I plugged it into the wall just with a paperclip to turn it on and it powered up fine with a HORRENDOUS whining sound. Can anyone guess why? He's lucky I was going to recap it anyways....I did the other bidder a favor by outbidding them.
            Hehe, yeah that's good old flea-bay . If I ever mention all of the computer stuff I saw that was described as "works great, but as-is and no returns" condition, I'd be typing up a dictionary list here.

And yes, you really did the other person a huge favor. Most likely they would have gotten it, try it, see that it doesn't work, and then ask for refund. And then either the seller or the buyer would have thrown that PSU in the trash (depends if the seller wanted the PSU back or not). Definitely would have been the shame if that was the outcome, as this is a good PSU.

I kind of I did the same with the e-VGA GeForce 6200 video card I bought. I knew it was a nearly worthless card, yet I spend close to $15 on it. Also tried to get a GeForce 8400 in a similar fashion (all bulged KZG), but the other bidder was dead-set on winning that video card for whatever reason .
            Ah, flea-bay .

I love all the 12.5mm cap slots though! Look at the capacitances they used. A 6,800uF cap and 2,200uF on the 3.3V Single 4,700uF on the 12V, and two 4,700uF on the 5V.
            Holy molly!
            What is this, an amplifier PSU?!?! And despite being so big and probably not having to deal with too much ripple, those GL caps still bulged. Imagine how much quicker they would have bulged if the fan got stuck. Ugh. I think even CapXon might have held better, and we all know how bad CapXon is.

This must be why they decided to use a 25V cap.
            Yes.
            And if the output caps on the 2-transistor 5VSB go bad, sometimes you can have voltage even in excess of that. I can't remember if it was a Sun Pro -built Raidmax or another PSU of mine that did that, but I recall the voltage jumping as high as 30-something volts when the 5VSB output caps failed!

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
            I think it can output 500W quite easily.
            I don't know about 500W. But it probably will do 400W without issues. I mean, if mine is rated for 400W and this PSU has the same switchers and transformer, then that's what it probably is. Maybe peak at 450W. IIRC, that was the practical limit of half-bridge PSUs anyways.
            Last edited by momaka; 03-12-2015, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Imagine how much quicker they would have bulged if the fan got stuck. Ugh. I think even CapXon might have held better, and we all know how bad CapXon is.
              Wasn't there someone who bought either a motherboard or power supply, new, and the caps "looked ok," but were swollen 3 months later when it was finally taken out of the box?

I don't remember what the caps were, or where this was, but given the time this happened, they were probably sacon, GL or G-Luxon.

And if the output caps on the 2-transistor 5VSB go bad, sometimes you can have voltage even in excess of that. I can't remember if it was a Sun Pro -built Raidmax or another PSU of mine that did that, but I recall the voltage jumping as high as 30-something volts when the 5VSB output caps failed!
              There was this CROWN-labeled Deer, right at the AT/ATX transistion, where they did the 5VSB as an afterthought. It was really just an AT supply, with this little PCB screwed to the heatsinks upside down. That was the 5VSB/aux supply. Since it was such an en-Deer-ing "stable " design, there was a huge load resistor soldered to that board.

Must not have been stable, or the voltage ran away without it.

Anyway, the board was nicely discolored, and brittle, under that resistor.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                Wasn't there someone who bought either a motherboard or power supply, new, and the caps "looked ok," but were swollen 3 months later when it was finally taken out of the box?

I don't remember what the caps were, or where this was...
                Yeah, I think there was someone like that. My brain is just as foggy, though. I *think* it might have been member Scenic, and the caps either OST or UCC KZG. But don't quote me on that or ask me to find a thread .

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                That was the 5VSB/aux supply. Since it was such an en-Deer-ing "stable " design, there was a huge load resistor soldered to that board.

Must not have been stable, or the voltage ran away without it.
                And yet it wasn't too long ago where we saw a similar unstable 5SVB circuit:
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...440#post535440
                Only from Sun Pro, this time.

Another very popular 5VSB circuit back in those days was an open-loop 2-transistor 5VSB (i.e. without feedback) making 10-15V on the secondary. This voltage was then stepped down by a 7805 regulator on the secondary. The terrible efficiency aside, at least that 7805 regulator protected the motherboard somewhat. However, on certain Deer PSUs, it wasn't uncommon for a tiny cap to literally launch on the secondary side as the open-loop 5VSB circuit overshot when its critical capacitor failed.
                I actually have a two PSU like that. One here (and you can see some leftovers from the launched cap):
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=489
                Last edited by momaka; 03-12-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Casecom ADK-S500 (ie, )

I purchased this one with the intention of reviewing it. However, I think that this one might be a bit of an instrument fooler. I just don't believe some of the results, and elected not to publish them. However, I will show off its internals.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1426237826
                  It sure looks OK. It's even modular

It is supposedly a quad-rail, but in reality, it's a single rail, as there is no OCP implemented

It looks pretty decent if you ask me, little wonder it did the full 500W in spec. I can't figure out who the OEM is, though.

The fan is an AOBOS 140mm sleeve bearing (with only a tiny amount of thick grease). It get's noticeable above 300W load, but it's not all that loud.

The switchers and PFC FETs are all MagnaChip MDF18N50s. It seems that they are up to the job.

The secondary side. No DC-DC, but it is individually regulated.

The 12V rail uses Synchronous rectification with CET CEP6056 FETs

ChengX. Yuck! I'll be fixing that before I put it back together.

The soldering is generally OK, except for...

...this. Whoever the OEM is, they need to do some work on their soldering skills.

It did 550W in spec, and, at least according to my DMM, the voltages never budged. 12.21V on the 12V, 5.03V on the 5V and 3.36V on the 3.3V was where the voltages all stayed, regardless of how heavily loaded the PSU was, and even when overloaded and crossloaded either 5V/3.3V heavy or 12V heavy. However, I just don't see how that's really possible. I might believe it if it was form a high end $400 Delta server PSU with DC-DC on the 5V and 3.3V, but not from an $80 fleabay unit.
                  Attached Files
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

that's weird.
                    that hand soldering if you follow the tracks means the upside-down resistor isnt even doing anything - it's bypassed by the tracks & soldering!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      Casecom ADK-S500 (ie, )

I purchased this one with the intention of reviewing it. However, I think that this one might be a bit of an instrument fooler. I just don't believe some of the results, and elected not to publish them. However, I will show off its internals.
                      Not at all. +5 and +3.3 are independently regulated with magamps. +12 appears to be synchronously rectified- the two small clear/white and black leads from the transformer seem to be bias supplies to turn the MOSFETs on at the correct time. You have four MOSFETs for +12. -12 probably just has small diodes.

It did 550W in spec, and, at least according to my DMM, the voltages never budged. 12.21V on the 12V, 5.03V on the 5V and 3.36V on the 3.3V was where the voltages all stayed, regardless of how heavily loaded the PSU was, and even when overloaded and crossloaded either 5V/3.3V heavy or 12V heavy. However, I just don't see how that's really possible. I might believe it if it was form a high end $400 Delta server PSU with DC-DC on the 5V and 3.3V, but not from an $80 fleabay unit.
                      The readings don't lie. That's an audiophool's myth anyway, to not "believe" your readings.

+12 is obtained directly from the TX; (mostly?) dedicated feedback to the PWM keeps it stable. -12 should be decent also, it's output inductor is common-wound with the one for +12, on the same toroid.

+5/+3.3 each have magamps feeding their rectifiers. So each is regulated.

The three output inductors (+/-12, +5, +3.3) give it away.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        that's weird.
                        that hand soldering if you follow the tracks means the upside-down resistor isnt even doing anything - it's bypassed by the tracks & soldering!
                        Maybe it's a 0 ohm shunt "resistor"?

Could have been to help get rid of a ground loop or something like that.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

IIRC, that was the practical limit of half-bridge PSUs anyways.
                          That is not true.

This Jue Jye did 500 watt without problem:

http://article.techlabs.by/36_538_3.html

It probably has 2x1000uF primary caps, those huge heatsinks you can see in the pictures, 2x2SC3320 transistors and ERL39 transformer.

http://www.slcentral.com/dual-12v-ps...tout/page2.php

In this load testing it did 516watt! But the efficiency was 68% at that point

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                            That is not true.

http://article.techlabs.by/36_538_3.html

It probably has 2x1000uF primary caps, those huge heatsinks you can see in the pictures, 2x2SC3320 transistors and ERL39 transformer.

http://www.slcentral.com/dual-12v-ps...tout/page2.php

In this load testing it did 516watt! But the efficiency was 68% at that point
                            Maybe it had bad AC power factor?

Apparently you can do some sort of resonant half bridge topology, which would help improve efficiency. Not sure of the output power capabilities.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

that's weird.
                              Dafuk? It is minimum load resistor between +5 V SB and ground. Cannot be shunted, check again.

It looks pretty decent if you ask me, little wonder it did the full 500W in spec. I can't figure out who the OEM is, though.
                              Unrealistic efficiency? Possibly PFC turned off as ben7 suggests. Have seen that already.

Reminds me of Guangzhou AOJIE technologies aka Sama http://diit.cz/clanek/evolve-pulse-8...ovedeni-mereni
                              Last edited by Behemot; 03-13-2015, 01:43 PM.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

that's weird.
                                Nope, not bypassed. Check those tracks again.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                                That is not true.

Hmmm... I thoguht I read somewhere that H-bridge PSUs have a limit of about 450W or so. Or maybe that was for something else, I can't remember anymore. My brain is getting stale .

Comment

I've seen 600W half bridge PSUs from SuperFlower before. It's not common, but it can be done if given a good enough design.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Super Flower, Super Flower?

Well, here something rather new is

This one also includes OCP although it is not mentioned on the box/spec sheet...
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Stefan Payne; 03-15-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan payne View Post
                                      super flower, super flower?

Well, here something rather new is

this one also includes ocp although it is not mentioned on the box/spec sheet...
                                      nice!!!
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I've seen 600W half bridge PSUs from SuperFlower before. It's not common, but it can be done if given a good enough design.
                                        Like this thing? https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=927

I think it could do even more than 600W

Comment

is that one group regulated or indy?

Comment

Working...
                                          X